Defensive Carry banner

Can I get multiple CFLs from multiple states?

3K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  Nexttime 
#1 ·
Currently I have a Utah resident CFL (Concealed Firearm License). I have it since November 2008 and will be relocating to upstate New York for college and employment.

I plan to travel for vacation and am keen on obtaining a Florida non-resident CHL.

Is there someone here who has experience in obtaining multiple CCW permits besides non-resident Utah-Florida CHL?

I assume every traveling LEO has the right to carry a firearm nationwide thanks to a recent law passed during Bush Administration (I forget what it was called). Why not ordinary, law-abiding citizen?

I would like to apply for CCW permits in the northeastern region of the U.S. after I provide proof of my competence in firearm and tactical training in certification, completion of a required course specific to the state, etc. Such as MA, PA, NH.

#2 ·
Yes you can get multiple permits, but maybe not where you want them to be. Also keep in mind that with reciprocity agreements what you have now might cover the majority of where you will be going. Check out Handgunlaw website and they can build a map for you.

#6 ·
Multiple permits are perfectly legal. Good luck on your NY permit, From everything I understand there are a lot of hoops to jump through and it takes quite a bit of time to get one, especially a carry permit. NY does not recognize any other states permits. NJ and MD also do not recognize other state permits. While non resident permits are not totally ruled out in NJ and MD, you probably stand a better chance of hitting the Mega Million/Powerball Lottery. When it comes to DC, don't even think of taking a gun into it, that is unless you want to spend time in a federal penitentiary if caught with it.

#9 ·
I keep multiple permits as well, to help the states that issue, and also in rare cases where a state drops reciprocity.
For example: I have FL,WV,PA,CT,ME,NH. WY just changed their reciprocity to only honor a few states, CT was one of them. So even though CT only adds CT, it keeps me legal in WY(although I've never been there).

#10 ·
It is important to note that some states do not recognize a permit from a state where the licensee is not a resident. FL for example does not recognize such. However, one can get a NR FL license and be fine.

Mulitple licenses are very good if one is travelling. My wife and I used to do a lot of RVing. As a result I got TX, UT, AZ, and FL. Later when my state, NM, got a CCW law I got it of course.

Subsequently, I have dropped TX, and will drop AZ if I have to go there for a refresher course. I think with UT, FL, and NM I will be pretty well covered where I travel, except in the anti states. I hope UT continues to license NR. I don't mind if they reaise the cost, but it is one of the best, and I want to keep it.
Mine is due for renewal in Aug of this year.

If you get your own state, FL, and UT you will be about as well covered as possible.

Regards,
Jerry

#19 ·
I wasn't aware that a non resident from another country could get a license to carry here,I'm pretty sure that for a Tx CHL you have to be a U.S. citisen or legal resident of the U.S. to get one

#14 ·
Once you become a resident in UPSTATE NY you can get a pistol permit. The type of permit varies from county to county. Some counties issue NON-RESTRICTED and others only for target/hunting/etc. This also depends on the reasons you give for getting the permit. It can take up to 6 months for a permit to be issued.

Until you get a permit in NY State you cannot possess or use a pistol under any circumstances.
Have them sent to an FFL dealer in NY and stored there until you get your permit. Once you get the permit the State Police will do a test firing and they will keep an empty casing. The FFL dealer will help you with the process.
Good Luck
bosco

#15 ·
NY pistol 101

NY has a mandatory 6-month waiting period.

But the problem will be that most counties require that you are a resident of that county for two years before you can even apply for a pistol permit.

So if I remember correctly, you will essentially be waiting 2 years and 6 months before you can buy a pistol in NY. Then you will have to start the license process which includes getting signatures from 4 personal references who live in your county, and have known you for those 2 years, are not related to you, and do not own or work at a gun store or have a FFL.

Still want to come to NY?

If you do, choose your county wisely as some are far worse than others. Which school are you planning on?

#17 ·
If you do, choose your county wisely as some are far worse than others. Which school are you planning on?
I know the crazy procedures. I discussed about moving to NY in the preceding topic I started.

I plan to attend Rochester Institute of Technology. I've just been accepted, completed 2009-2010 FAFSA online and will be required to reside at the dorm the freshman year.

I know RIT prohibits any firearm possession on premise, dorm included. HOWEVER, there is exemption which will be difficult to obtain. Here's the policy guideline. I'll settle for off-campus residence after freshman year is over.

Monroe County may issue a possession permit after 6 months of residence (I checked). Then after a while, attempt to request a carry permit that is restricted to hunting/target shooting or non-restricted.

Thanks for your run-down as with other posts, I'm sorry for not mentioning that I did preliminary research and acknowledging the cons of living in NY state.

If only a new governor could abolish Sullivan law, make issuing easier without judges' oversight and force NYC to recognize a new standard. NYC is basically a city-state with its unique laws that do not conform to NY state laws like medieval Italy.

#22 ·
I'm in Monroe county. The average wait time to get a permit is about 7-8 months after the paperwork is submitted. On the plus side, Monroe county permits are usually issued as unrestricted.

I disagree with the person who mentioned that the pistols have to be test fired to get a sample case. That is only for new pistols that do not have a sample case included. If the gun has already been purchased, the FFL will not have to arrange for a test firing. At least that is the case in Monroe county.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.