Can I get multiple CFLs from multiple states?

This is a discussion on Can I get multiple CFLs from multiple states? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Currently I have a Utah resident CFL (Concealed Firearm License). I have it since November 2008 and will be relocating to upstate New York for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I get multiple CFLs from multiple states?

Can I get multiple CFLs from multiple states?

Currently I have a Utah resident CFL (Concealed Firearm License). I have it since November 2008 and will be relocating to upstate New York for college and employment.

I plan to travel for vacation and am keen on obtaining a Florida non-resident CHL.

Is there someone here who has experience in obtaining multiple CCW permits besides non-resident Utah-Florida CHL?

I assume every traveling LEO has the right to carry a firearm nationwide thanks to a recent law passed during Bush Administration (I forget what it was called). Why not ordinary, law-abiding citizen?

I would like to apply for CCW permits in the northeastern region of the U.S. after I provide proof of my competence in firearm and tactical training in certification, completion of a required course specific to the state, etc. Such as MA, PA, NH.

2. Remove Ads

Yes you can get multiple permits, but maybe not where you want them to be. Also keep in mind that with reciprocity agreements what you have now might cover the majority of where you will be going. Check out Handgunlaw website and they can build a map for you.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

At the map builder on Handgunlaw.us adding Fl to the Utah permit adds SC and KS. Adding the UT to the FL permit adds WA and MN.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rolyat63 View Post
    At the map builder on Handgunlaw.us adding Fl to the Utah permit adds SC and KS. Adding the UT to the FL permit adds WA and MN.
    From handgunlaw.us:

South Carolina will only honor permits from residents of the states they honor. They will not honor a non resident permit from any state.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    NY has NO reciprocity. I grew up in Central/Upstate NY, and it's county by county, some more apt to issue than others. Good luck.

VIP Member
    Multiple permits are perfectly legal. Good luck on your NY permit, From everything I understand there are a lot of hoops to jump through and it takes quite a bit of time to get one, especially a carry permit. NY does not recognize any other states permits. NJ and MD also do not recognize other state permits. While non resident permits are not totally ruled out in NJ and MD, you probably stand a better chance of hitting the Mega Million/Powerball Lottery. When it comes to DC, don't even think of taking a gun into it, that is unless you want to spend time in a federal penitentiary if caught with it.

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    From handgunlaw.us:
    South Carolina will only honor permits from residents of the states they honor. They will not honor a non resident permit from any state.
    Ditto for Kansas and several others.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I have FL, UT and AZ. AZ did not add anything but I thought I was moving there someday. Now my wife does not think she can take the heat. I had to go to AZ for the training but I had a vacation and it was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ltc-usa View Post
    I have FL, UT and AZ. AZ did not add anything but I thought I was moving there someday. Now my wife does not think she can take the heat. I had to go to AZ for the training but I had a vacation and it was fun.
    I keep multiple permits as well, to help the states that issue, and also in rare cases where a state drops reciprocity.
    For example: I have FL,WV,PA,CT,ME,NH. WY just changed their reciprocity to only honor a few states, CT was one of them. So even though CT only adds CT, it keeps me legal in WY(although I've never been there).
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    It is important to note that some states do not recognize a permit from a state where the licensee is not a resident. FL for example does not recognize such. However, one can get a NR FL license and be fine.

Mulitple licenses are very good if one is travelling. My wife and I used to do a lot of RVing. As a result I got TX, UT, AZ, and FL. Later when my state, NM, got a CCW law I got it of course.

Subsequently, I have dropped TX, and will drop AZ if I have to go there for a refresher course. I think with UT, FL, and NM I will be pretty well covered where I travel, except in the anti states. I hope UT continues to license NR. I don't mind if they reaise the cost, but it is one of the best, and I want to keep it.
    Mine is due for renewal in Aug of this year.

If you get your own state, FL, and UT you will be about as well covered as possible.

Regards,
    Jerry

Short answer is, YES, you can.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Check my signature line.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

To JerryM: AZ has dropped the refresher course requirement as long as you renew on time. If you want it at that time, you can just do it thru the mail now.

Once you become a resident in UPSTATE NY you can get a pistol permit. The type of permit varies from county to county. Some counties issue NON-RESTRICTED and others only for target/hunting/etc. This also depends on the reasons you give for getting the permit. It can take up to 6 months for a permit to be issued.

Until you get a permit in NY State you cannot possess or use a pistol under any circumstances.
    Have them sent to an FFL dealer in NY and stored there until you get your permit. Once you get the permit the State Police will do a test firing and they will keep an empty casing. The FFL dealer will help you with the process.
    Good Luck
    bosco

NY pistol 101

NY has a mandatory 6-month waiting period.

But the problem will be that most counties require that you are a resident of that county for two years before you can even apply for a pistol permit.

So if I remember correctly, you will essentially be waiting 2 years and 6 months before you can buy a pistol in NY. Then you will have to start the license process which includes getting signatures from 4 personal references who live in your county, and have known you for those 2 years, are not related to you, and do not own or work at a gun store or have a FFL.

Still want to come to NY?

If you do, choose your county wisely as some are far worse than others. Which school are you planning on?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links