Reciprocity ?

Reciprocity ?

This is a discussion on Reciprocity ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Fairly new to everything about this. I'm military and stationed in VA. I'm fairly certain i am going to be getting orders to FL. I ...

Thread: Reciprocity ?

Reciprocity ?

Fairly new to everything about this. I'm military and stationed in VA. I'm fairly certain i am going to be getting orders to FL. I went ahead and applied for a CCW permit in VA. My question is...I am a resident of FL but being military i do not have to change residency every tiime i move. I applied for a VA Resident permit, they had no issues at all with that. Now FL says they have reciprocity with VA as long as it is a "Resident" permit. Now hopefully the permit says "resident" or something along those lines on it. FL doesn't mean "resident" of VA does it? The reason i applied for the VA permit and not the FL permit was that the VA permit is about half the price and half the wait. Hope i didn't confuse anyone.

22crew

Handgunlaw.us

Knock yourself out
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Jmac00, appreciate it. That's where i went and found some info. I just didn't want any "fine print" if you know what i mean. I'm assuming a "Resident" permit is a resident permit. Doesn't matter what state you are a legal resident of. As long as it says "Resident" on it then FL should not have an issue. That's what i assume, but you know what can happen when you "assume".

22crew

Sir-
    From your screen name and where you're talking about I'm assuming that you're at Langley and headed towards Tyndall, right?

The way I understand state residency as it applies to military is this:
    1- We are residents of the state that our home of record is in
    2- We are also residents of whichever state we are stationed in

So, as soon as you PCS to Florida you need to change your CCW because you are no longer a resident of VA.

Does this help?
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum from a retired military guy.

Since you did not change your resident status from Florida to Virginia, once you are no longer stationed in the state you are not eligible for a "Resident" permit. You may be able to convert it to a "non-Resident" permit, but you would need to check with the VA State Police about that. I'd suggest you contact the FL Dept of Agriculture, there may be some way to get around it, but I think your going to have to get a Florida permit to be able to carry. There are pro's and con's of the military not being required to change legal residency, you appear to be caught in one of the con's.

A1C Lickey, i assume SSgt now. Well that sucks. I see your a crew chief also, with your break em fix em pic, ya gotta love it. archer51, my permit will be no good in FL as a non-resident permit. I am hoping that since it says "resident" permit on it FL will accept it. Guess i will have to call FL Dept of Ag and ask about that. if it is no good then im out 50 bucks and will have to get a FL one. Thanks for the help guys.

22crew

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    As FL resident military, your AFID(Active) and DD-214(Retired/Seperated) counts as training, all you have to do is fill out the paperwork, get the prints, and mail all of that with a photo when you get here. You can go to the Concealed Weapons classes if you want but it is not required for military.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Inspectorgadget, thanks for the heads up. I took a CCW class up here in VA just to learn something. Wasn't required but i wanted to take it just learn. I guess I'm hoping that if my VA permit says resident it won't be an issue even though i am a resident of FL.

22crew

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    As FL resident military, your AFID(Active) and DD-214(Retired/Seperated) counts as training, all you have to do is fill out the paperwork, get the prints, and mail all of that with a photo when you get here. You can go to the Concealed Weapons classes if you want but it is not required for military.
    Exactly...and if you mail it off now, you have your FL permit before you get there.

22crew...P.M. me and send my your address...I'll send you an application. It's the least I can do for someone serving in our military. (I have extra apps sitting right here on my desk.)

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Exactly...and if you mail it off now, you have your FL permit before you get there.

22crew...P.M. me and send my your address...I'll send you an application. It's the least I can do for someone serving in our military. (I have extra apps sitting right here on my desk.)

ret
    Actually he can go to handgunlaw.us and download it directly from the website. Save himself a few days mail time.

22crew, I'm guessing on a PCS move you'll have at least 90 days from date of notification until transfer, add in any travel time and leave you take, you may be able to have your FL permit in time to avoid any interruption in carry.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    One more thing to add...lots of military change home of record to Florida...no State income tax (same with Texas, Nevada, and Alaska and a few others...large military bases). So, might consider this in your big move.

Rick

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by 22crew View Post
    A1C Lickey, i assume SSgt now. Well that sucks. I see your a crew chief also, with your break em fix em pic, ya gotta love it. archer51, my permit will be no good in FL as a non-resident permit. I am hoping that since it says "resident" permit on it FL will accept it. Guess i will have to call FL Dept of Ag and ask about that. if it is no good then im out 50 bucks and will have to get a FL one. Thanks for the help guys.

22crew
    I'm pretty sure that Florida will only recognize the permit as long as you are a resident of VA. Since you will be stationed in FL and you keep that as your address of record then getting a FL permit would be the best approach. That way you have 32 other states you can be transferred to and the permit will still be good.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Actually he can go to handgunlaw.us and download it directly from the website. Save himself a few days mail time.

22crew, I'm guessing on a PCS move you'll have at least 90 days from date of notification until transfer, add in any travel time and leave you take, you may be able to have your FL permit in time to avoid any interruption in carry.
    You can download a 'finger print' card, too? (This is the entire 'kit'.)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

WOW, guys i really appreciate all the help. I guess i was hoping i could save the extra 80ish bucks by getting a VA permit. It was only 50 dollars. But it looks like i may have to pay the $130 i believe for the FL permit. Dang. Well i guess i am getting a VA permit for nothing, unless i don't get these orders. I got it so i wouldn't jinx myself lol.

22crew

Sponsored Links