Do you know any Blind CCW'rs?

This is a discussion on Do you know any Blind CCW'rs? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by kpw My step-dad is blind and has an LTCF. that answerd my question. So there are folks out there who are blind ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you know any Blind CCW'rs?

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    My step-dad is blind and has an LTCF.
    that answerd my question. So there are folks out there who are blind that do have permits..tnx
    "Brains before Bullets"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I don't want to offend anyone here but.... I have a friend who is blind and has been from birth. Him with a gun would not be a good idea. His orientation skills are exceptional but not being able to identify what is in the background and to what extent the BG is armed is a dangerous unknown.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by CraigStill View Post
    I don't want to offend anyone here but.... I have a friend who is blind and has been from birth. Him with a gun would not be a good idea. His orientation skills are exceptional but not being able to identify what is in the background and to what extent the BG is armed is a dangerous unknown.

Craig
    +1 on this. I would hate to be the victim of a blind person missing their target. I have 20/20 sight, and I worry about hitting what I am aiming at in a self defense situation. I'm just saying that I personally would hate to be on the receiving end of a blind self defense action gone bad. I know I'm not going to be making any friends with these comments, I'm just saying...

If the person who he is with isn't carrying, what makes him think that they can shoot, or would be willing to anyways?

If me and my family were walking down the street one night and my daughter got hit and killed by a stray bullet from a blind man's self defense actions, I would sue him silly, and make sure that the case set precedent for future blind CCW cases. Note that this thread was not started to address the situation of blind CCWers in general, not the specific situation that the other gentleman has brought up, which is where my comments are directed.

Several other users brought up the point of "legally blind" vs "blind". I do agree on this point. I know some legally blind people that could see well enough to identify their target and what is beyond. It's really about what degree of blindness we are referring to here. Totally blind=no gun. Sorry.

Another user brought up the question of what I would do should I lose my eyesight. The answer is that if I were to completely lose my eyesight I would do the responsible thing and hang up the gun belt. I can't afford to risk hurting or killing innocent people. It's counterintuitive. It's just not something I can risk morally.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

I saw a blind person shoot at an outdoor gun range once,his buddy loaded his guns and the guy just pointed downrange and shot into the berm,there was no aiming he just liked to feel the recoil and hear the bang etc.Would I trust him to CC?no way,like others have said there are too many bad things that could happen
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyglock View Post
    Totally blind=no gun. Sorry.
    Until you have personally talked with blind folks, interacted with them, and understand their ability to perceive what is around them, your "opinion" does not count for much with me.

Does a blind person have limitations? You bet, no one will deny they can't "see." Just because a person is blind does not mean they can't perceive distances, and spacial relationships. Would you deny them the ability to defend themselves within their limitations, say, a snubnose at contact distances? Yeah, you probably would.

We all have our limitations. I can't take out an armed bad guy holding a hostage at 25 yards with a revolver or pistol. Yet there are folks who can reliably make that shot. We each know our limitations and work within them. But to say someone can't do this or that - sounds a like like "the other guy" should'nt. Don't impose your limitations and fears on others.
    Last edited by CopperKnight; April 12th, 2009 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Edited

I work with a guy who is legally blind and he has a drivers license. He drives. Not well but he does drive.

I'm sure he could get a permit to carry too. I'm not sure it is a good idea but he could do it.

But, in answer to the original question, I do not know any blind permit holders.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    There is no reason a blind person (even totally blind) could not defend themselves. Obviously they won't be taking 10 yard shots, but why can't they shoot a bad guy point blank?

I recall an article in the paper a while back about a nearly completely blind guy that got his carry permit. His 'friends' commented in the paper about how they were concerned he would shoot the "Avon lady" through the door. What a dumb comment. Even a partially intelligent person is not going to shoot an unknown person through their door. He needed new friends.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Individual decision. But in a struggle, they could retreive the gun and save their life. Should not be a legal barrier. I would not fire blindly in the dark either. All part of using your judgment.

If you cannot see, you should not be carrying in public. In a HD scenario, hearing may be sufficient, but not in public. OMO.

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    There is no reason a blind person (even totally blind) could not defend themselves. Obviously they won't be taking 10 yard shots, but why can't they shoot a bad guy point blank?
    Exactly so. Any reasonable blind person is going to hesitate when the target is obviously at such a distance that it's not safely identifiable. But, when it's right there, who has the right to say this person may not have sufficient ability to defend against life-threatening violence?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My ccw instructer is a member of the gun board for my city. He said that a few years ago a blind man wanted to carry, but they denied his request for the simple fact that he was incapable of knowing what was behind his target. A retired LEO actually taught this guy that he could grab his assailant put the muzzle of his gun against his target and fire. Thank God that our gun board has some common sense.

kpw
    Kinda funny reading the "what ifs" some of you guys come up with. Because of my step-dad, I've known a lot of blind people. I worked with them in college. Most disabled know their own limitations much more than we know ours. They live with them everyday and adapt to them everyday. If your imagining what you would do if you were them and making decisions based on that, don't. Until you know them as individuals and see what they are and are not capable of, your opinions are based on your own misconceptions.

luvmyglock, the question I asked you was if you became disabled and could not continue fighting, would you hand your pistol to someone that could. Not if you became blind and had to give up carrying. You know "what if". Would you hand your pistol over to someone capable of defending themselves and others and probably you?

Btw, many states allow open carry without a permit. Should they pass a law banning blind people from open carrying? Careful, that's a loaded question.

Being a visually impaired person I would like to side with those that if you do not have direct experience with someone who is visually impaired or blind please show the disabled some respect and consider they might be as capable as you and in some situations more so.

Now with that said I drive every day (about 40k a year) Tow 50 foot trailers, driven buses, go off-roading, boating etc. I was told as a child there was no way that I would every be able to do so.

What the average "normal" person does not realize is those of us with disabilities have a uncanny ability to adapt and we do it very very well. Not only have I been told by driving instructors and others that I am one of the better drivers they drive with because my level of awareness is very high compared to someone who is lax in they believe they can see so no need to pay attention. I am the designated driver all of the time and am called to do close quarter trailer parking because I do it better than most (not all by any means)

I have been in MANY situations that I have avoided an accident where the guy behind me did not, both with and without trailers on my 1 ton truck simply because I was more aware than the average guy kept me out of trouble..

For shooting I can keep a 8" grouping at 40 yards with my 9mm and I am getting better with the new 357. If I were totally blind I would not CC as in a public place it would be hard to asses the entire situation but to think that being blind means you cannot know whats around you is simply ignorant. I would wager to bet I am more capable in a completely dark setting to maneuver than that with sight.

And to be clear I took none of the above comments personal but until you walk in someone else s shoes you should consider that you may not know which foot kicks harder.

Quote Originally Posted by IssaquahWA19 View Post
    Being a visually impaired person I would like to side with those that if you do not have direct experience with someone who is visually impaired or blind please show the disabled some respect and consider they might be as capable as you and in some situations more so.

Now with that said I drive every day (about 40k a year) Tow 50 foot trailers, driven buses, go off-roading, boating etc. I was told as a child there was no way that I would every be able to do so.

What the average "normal" person does not realize is those of us with disabilities have a uncanny ability to adapt and we do it very very well. Not only have I been told by driving instructors and others that I am one of the better drivers they drive with because my level of awareness is very high compared to someone who is lax in they believe they can see so no need to pay attention. I am the designated driver all of the time and am called to do close quarter trailer parking because I do it better than most (not all by any means)

I have been in MANY situations that I have avoided an accident where the guy behind me did not, both with and without trailers on my 1 ton truck simply because I was more aware than the average guy kept me out of trouble..

For shooting I can keep a 8" grouping at 40 yards with my 9mm and I am getting better with the new 357. If I were totally blind I would not CC as in a public place it would be hard to asses the entire situation but to think that being blind means you cannot know whats around you is simply ignorant. I would wager to bet I am more capable in a completely dark setting to maneuver than that with sight.

And to be clear I took none of the above comments personal but until you walk in someone else s shoes you should consider that you may not know which foot kicks harder.
    As I have stated, blind and "legally blind" are two completely separate issues.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

I understand that probably better than anyone but my points stand the same.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links