Do you know any Blind CCW'rs?

This is a discussion on Do you know any Blind CCW'rs? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Blind folks have 2a rights also but I wonder how many blind folks have a permit to carry? In Arkansas, your permit is tied to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you know any Blind CCW'rs?

Blind folks have 2a rights also but I wonder how many blind folks have a permit to carry?

In Arkansas, your permit is tied to your drivers license so a blind person in AR can not legally get a permit. So I wonder in what states would it be possible for them to get a permit.
    "Brains before Bullets"

Lead Moderator
    Try a I'm pretty sure we had a thread on this a couple years ago. You might want to start here http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ry-permit.html
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I tried the search and that one didnt come up..tnx
    "Brains before Bullets"

Call this how you will, but I think that part of defensive carry is "identifying your target and what is beyond". That is one of the basic and essential firearm rules. A blind person cannot perform this essential duty, and thus should not be carrying a gun.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

kpw
    My step-dad is blind and has an LTCF. He is realistic about his ability to use a fiream for protection. His main intent is to hand it to someone that would be able to employ it in a public environment.
    I would not volunteer to take him on in a dark place though. He has the ability to hit what he hears very well. He enjoys shooting, playing pool and driving when he gets the chance. Hates movies with sub-titles! Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    My step-dad is blind and has an LTCF. He is realistic about his ability to use a fiream for protection. His main intent is to hand it to someone that would be able to employ it in a public environment.
    I would not volunteer to take him on in a dark place though. He has the ability to hit what he hears very well. He enjoys shooting, playing pool and driving when he gets the chance. Hates movies with sub-titles! Go figure.
    What if the person that he hands it to is an accomplice? Does he really think that is a smart move? What if the person gets shot by the perps because they are then a threat, and lives to sue the living bejesus out of him? I think there are MUCH better ways, and am actually quite disappointed to hear that someone intends to give someone else their gun to protect them should the need arise. That's got liability written all over it. I think that a speed dial to 911 may be a better choice, despite the police response times.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    Blind folks have 2a rights also but I wonder how many blind folks have a permit to carry?

In Arkansas, your permit is tied to your drivers license so a blind person in AR can not legally get a permit. So I wonder in what states would it be possible for them to get a permit.
    So in Arkansas anyone who does not drive may not have a permit to carry? I doubt this is actually the case.

Ken

Are you talking “Blind” or “Legally Blind”? They are two different things.

I do not know anybody who is “Legally Blind” with a permit, but I do know “Legally Blind” people who shoot at the range, and they do quite well. I also know a couple of “Legally Blind” people, my. mother is one, who still have their drivers license. No, she does not drive any more, but she still has her license and she can see well enough that she could still drive if she had to.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    Are you talking “Blind” or “Legally Blind”? They are two different things.

I do not know anybody who is “Legally Blind” with a permit, but I do know “Legally Blind” people who shoot at the range, and they do quite well. I also know a couple of “Legally Blind” people, my. mother is one, who still have their drivers license. No, she does not drive any more, but she still has her license and she can see well enough that she could still drive if she had to.
    Someone who is 'legally blind' may easily be able to identify a target breaking into his/her home.
    Others do it when waking from a sound sleep and notice a shadow climbing through the kitchen window...one does not need complete identification of the target to know when it's time to 'fish or cut bait'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyglock View Post
    What if the person that he hands it to is an accomplice? Does he really think that is a smart move? What if the person gets shot by the perps because they are then a threat, and lives to sue the living bejesus out of him? I think there are MUCH better ways, and am actually quite disappointed to hear that someone intends to give someone else their gun to protect them should the need arise. That's got liability written all over it. I think that a speed dial to 911 may be a better choice, despite the police response times.
    There are a lot of what ifs in life. He's blind. If he's in public, he's with someone he knows. Implying that he'd just hand it over to anyone is a little ridiculous. I'd also doubt he'd try handing it to someone that didn't want it. A little common sense goes a long way sometimes.

Let me put it to you this way. If you were in a situation where you became disabled and could not continue fighting, would you hand over your pistol to someone you knew or would you curl up and die? I know what I'd do and I'll worry about the courts later. Being arrested or sued is going to be the last thing on my mind at that moment. I'd even hand it to a stranger in a worst case scenario. At least they'd have a chance at saving some butts, maybe my own.

In NM you have to pass a proficiency test. The law doesn't say you have to be able to see the target, only that you have to hit it with adequate accuracy.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Disabled people are often seen as easy targets by bad guys. I see no problem with giving them the ability to defend themselves.

Often, people equate a physical disability with some sort of lack of intelligence or good judgment. This is NOT the case. They are able to understand the world around them just as you or I, the consequences of their actions, any limits their disability might place, and make good decisions.

Here in Washington State, I don't know any blind CPL people, but I see nothing in the laws or rules to stop it (shall issue!). They could open carry without permit as well.

Lead Moderator
    I have a friend who is legally blind and has his permit to carry. While he may not be able to identify BG's from a distance, he seems to do well enough up close shooting and ID'ing potential threats.
    Each individual needs to have the option to assess and choose what they can or cannot do with their circumstances.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I've coached two blind wrestlers, I'd trust both of them to make the proper nose to nose decision to defend themselves.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    Disabled people are often seen as easy targets by bad guys. I see no problem with giving them the ability to defend themselves.

Often, people equate a physical disability with some sort of lack of intelligence or good judgment. This is NOT the case. They are able to understand the world around them just as you or I, the consequences of their actions, any limits their disability might place, and make good decisions.

Here in Washington State, I don't know any blind CPL people, but I see nothing in the laws or rules to stop it (shall issue!). They could open carry without permit as well.
    Well said. My step-dad is one of the more intelligent and insightful people I've known. I hold his opinions in high regard after knowing him for 25+ years. Some tend to treat his blindness as a lack of intelligence or common sense, usually to their folly. A quicker wit, I've never known. Hell of a pool shooter, too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links