would you draw your CCW to shoot a wounded animal?

This is a discussion on would you draw your CCW to shoot a wounded animal? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Different situations maybe you'd respond differently in each. 1. You strike someones pet with your car, animal is seriously injured on side of road in ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: would you draw your CCW to shoot a wounded animal?

would you draw your CCW to shoot a wounded animal?

Different situations maybe you'd respond differently in each.

1. You strike someones pet with your car, animal is seriously injured on side of road in pain and will not recover--do you shoot it?

2. what if it's a wounded deer you or another driver ran into?

do you only draw for defense, no exceptions?

2. Remove Ads

I was thinking of this earlier. I had someone ask me the other day at an Easter egg hunt if I had a gun for the start. I said no. I was thinking if I was somewhere and there was a wounded animal or a snake in the area of children would I draw if legal to do so.I havent decided.

No, no, yes.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

I have shot a buffalo (in Florida!) with another's CCW. It was injured in a crash we responded to. The owner and I had no desire to see the poor beast suffer.

The concerns:
    Discharge of a firearm may be restricted except in cases of self defense. Discharge may be restricted near roadways or populated areas. Tecnically, you may be breaking the law, as putting down an animal may not be an exemption.

What if the owner of said livestock or pet claims the animal could have been saved by the intervention of a Vet?

What may fly in the rural areas may upset the town dwelling folks.

i dont wanna be considered a bad person, but if i came up upon a wounded deer that for say might have a broken back due to being struck by a car, i would have to help it end its misery. i would not shoot it, rather use a knife.

VIP Member
    As subjective as your question is, so are the answers you’re likely to receive. In the abstract; YES
    Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I was thinking of this earlier. I had someone ask me the other day at an Easter egg hunt if I had a gun for the start. I said no. I was thinking if I was somewhere and there was a wounded animal or a snake in the area of children would I draw if legal to do so.I havent decided.
    Please, never try to shoot a snake with a gun. It's way overkill and you'll likely be there all day or until you run out of ammo.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

jfl
    Too many variables ... depending on the circumstances, I would or not.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Scenario 1 has criminal and civil liability written all over it. Scenario 2 may have criminal implications depending on the proximity to the roadway and other laws. Notify 911 EOC that the animal needs to be dispatched. The police will typically do that when they arrive.

As for shooting a snake when children are around it seems like getting the children away is the top priority. If they are in imminent danger it is probably not a safe shot to take. If they are far enough away to shoot safely, then you can probably give the snake a wide birth and things will end without shots being fired and anyone knowing that you are carrying.

Here in TN, killing certain snakes can be considered criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by chepo06 View Post
    i dont wanna be considered a bad person, but if i came up upon a wounded deer that for say might have a broken back due to being struck by a car, i would have to help it end its misery. i would not shoot it, rather use a knife.
    I've seen people try to finish off an animal before with a knife and they found out the animal wasn't quite so wounded as they thought. Bad idea from my experience.

Depends where I was on if I'd use my CCW. City and country are different worlds.

Yes on both accounts.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Depends:
    #1 Location. Inside city limits might make me liable from illegal discharge of a firearm.
    #2 The first issue might be solved if the animal is smaller. When I was in high school I hit a possum one night on the way home from my girlfriend's house. It was about 1 a.m. and I quickly pulled over to see what I'd struck. When I saw the poor animal, it was trying to pull itself off the road with it's forelegs because it's hind quarters were smashed flat. I felt so bad! I of course wasn't armed being only 16 or 17 (can't recall) but I ran back to my car and got a K-BAR knife I kept in the car. I ran back, held the head still with my boot and cut it's throat. It was fast.
    #3 if it's too big to safely bleed out from a blade, and I can safely do so, I'll probably shoot. Maybe. Most likely.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

While in Los Anchorage, most likely not. Since so much of Alaska is rural, something like 97%, I would have to assess the situation. I would likely put down a moose if it was off of the road.
    S&W 638 .38 :: Sig P229 :: Ruger MkIII :: VEPR K 5.45x39 AK-74 :: Mosin Nagant M44 :: Hi-Point 995 9mm (shoulder fired pistol)

Wink actually....

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Please, never try to shoot a snake with a gun. It's way overkill and you'll likely be there all day or until you run out of ammo.
    Regards,
    Ummmmm I've done it. More than once. Once my father in law found a rattlesnake in his hangar up in Lake City, FL. There were small kids around so I ran upstairs and got my 45 loaded with GLASERs. Took the head clean off at a range of about 6 feet. Other times, I used snake shot from a 38sp.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Yes and have

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links