Do you think bank employees should carry? - Page 2

Do you think bank employees should carry?

This is a discussion on Do you think bank employees should carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes by all means someone in their should be trained and carry but some should probably not....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think bank employees should carry?

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Yes by all means someone in their should be trained and carry but some should probably not.

VIP Member
    IMO anyone who has a permit, and chooses to CC should be able to. I see no good reasons for them not being able to carry at work.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    It isn't worth it. First, if a security guard or any other bank employee were to miss the perp and hit a customer, it would be very costly. Second, the amount that's taken in the average bank robbery is relatively small, and bank robbery has one of the highest clearance rates of any crime. The FBI gets involved from the beginning. Between them, the dye packs, and the high clearance rate, it always amazes me when people still try to rob a bank. You're better off hitting a convenience store- far less likely to be caught.
    "First, if a security guard or any other bank employee were to miss the perp and hit a customer, it would be very costly."

What is the difference if it's at a bank or Walmart or anywhere else? We are ALL responsible for stray bullets under all circumstances. Should no security guards or employees ANYWHERE be armed?
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

absolutely

scumbag: "put all the money in this bag, and don't do anything stupid, I have a gun right here"

teller: ....BANG

if bank employees have CHLs, comply with laws....then why not let them carry just like a lot of other people do
    scumbags shot in the act anywhere sends a message
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Bank employees should have the right to self-defense like students on a college campus. If I can carry a gun into a bank, why shouldn't the employees.

Should they use their side-arm during a common robbery? That's a completely different question.
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

I think we are creating a problem with many of the arguments we are making on this.

In the case of concealed carry, many of you argue that there would be unnecessary escalation in the case of a robbery. This is not the fault of the gun, but of the armed employee. As such, you are arguing the regulation of armed employees based on the general employee’s inability to responsibly employ a weapon.

This is the same argument we see made in favor of gun-control legislation. We just make it to a lesser degree.

My question: Exactly how are we going to define this "line"?

I think that all able bodied people, that are legal to do so, should carry. It would certainly cut down on crime.

It doesn't mean the CCW holder needs to be the hero. If the business you are working at is held up, AND an opportunity presents itself, than take the opportunity. If no opportunity presents itself, than do what the nice bad guy holding the gun tells you to do.

If I were to answer "no" to the OP then I have violated my belief and stance on the 2nd amendment so my answer is yes, by all means, let them carry.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

When I mentioned this to the higher ups they frowned and said no. This was before we had cc in OK. I would only be for saving lives not money. I think teller supervisors and up the chain from there should be able to carry after requirements/training of coarse. I'm thinking of going back into banking. If I do I will carry even if the employer does not allow it. The only way they will find out is if I have to defend myself. I'd rather loose my job than my life.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Absolutely ... every one of them, if they choose. And, every person from supervisor on up, as a requirement of the job.

If the rationale is that it isn't worth it due to the paltry sums taken in robberies, the number of instances can be drawn down to practically nothing over time, via aggressive armed resistance every time.

The logic is no different than with citizens going about their normal tasks. The greater the number of mines, the more capable the minefield.

My $0.03.

Well said. I concur.

ccroom--you may want to reconsider your position. When you offer your services to an employer, you are agreeing to abide by the employer's rules. The solution to your problem is to find an employer that allows you to carry. It's a free country, so you're not forced to work for an employer that does not allow the carry of guns.

Quote Originally Posted by ccroom View Post
    I used to be a bank teller. I would only work for banks who had off duty police doing security not security guards. I always though it would be good for certain key bank empoyee's to carry.
    There are no "safe" zones. I think anyone legal to possess the firearm should be able to carry 100% of the time for personal protection. It's not about protecting bank assets, who the heck cares about that, it's about SELF defense.

yes...
    Patrons too
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    It isn't worth it. First, if a security guard or any other bank employee were to miss the perp and hit a customer, it would be very costly. Second, the amount that's taken in the average bank robbery is relatively small, and bank robbery has one of the highest clearance rates of any crime. The FBI gets involved from the beginning. Between them, the dye packs, and the high clearance rate, it always amazes me when people still try to rob a bank. You're better off hitting a convenience store- far less likely to be caught.
    I really have to agree with this. Especially the small amount of money to be had. Why people continue to rob banks is beyond me.

Here, knocking off a bank is a federal crime. Knocking off the local C-Store is a mear felony.

Last I heard a though a B/R average was on the order of 5-grand and C-Store was somewhere around $300.00

Just ain't worth it, folks.

Craig
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Should they carry.

Just like the rest of us. ONLY if they want to, but the option should be there.

the bigger question is why are they often NOT ALLOWED to carry?

And yes I know corporate genuflection to the anti's and liability concerns are the reasons. My question was rhetorical.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links