Do you think bank employees should carry?

This is a discussion on Do you think bank employees should carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I used to be a bank teller. I would only work for banks who had off duty police doing security not security guards. I always ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think bank employees should carry?

Do you think bank employees should carry?

I used to be a bank teller. I would only work for banks who had off duty police doing security not security guards. I always though it would be good for certain key bank empoyee's to carry.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    It isn't worth it. First, if a security guard or any other bank employee were to miss the perp and hit a customer, it would be very costly. Second, the amount that's taken in the average bank robbery is relatively small, and bank robbery has one of the highest clearance rates of any crime. The FBI gets involved from the beginning. Between them, the dye packs, and the high clearance rate, it always amazes me when people still try to rob a bank. You're better off hitting a convenience store- far less likely to be caught.

I may take a beating over this, but it's my opinion, and it won't be the first time I've taken a beating. Personally, I would be against the idea. I believe there is a strong possibility that this could do more harm than good, and make a bad situation even worse. Too many cameras, and silent alarms.....I say let the bank robber(s) take the cash and go with no resistance and I would imagine that statistically nobody gets hurt. If you want to think about better bank security.......make cell phone calls within the bank off limits to customers. My reasoning? Recon and the point man.

Under normal conditions no,but before the bank opens while letting in employees there is a possibility of being robbed and IIRC there was one robbery that occurred where the robber didn't leave any witnesses alive
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Statistically, there are very few bank robberies and those that do occur, seldom result with employees being shot. In my view, the risk of striking an innocent person would be a serious concern.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

What's the difference in a teller carrying a firearm and a customer carrying a firearm.

In teaching CCW classes we stress when to just be a good witness and let the situation develop and resolve itself. That being said if things starting going really bad, the teller or the customer at least have a fighting chance.

It not about about having the firearm on you, its the logical, tactical and ethical use of the firearm in self defense of persons only (money not so much..unless it's mine, then kill them all and let god sort them out)

That last part was humor in case your a lib.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

An interesting question...

As one who believes (along with many from this forum) that the ability for those in education with training and a CCW permit to be armed in schools (like in UT), I think that under certain circumstances it might be a good idea to arm bank employees, too.

Now the problem lies in who should be allowed to CCW.

In schools, the media make it sound like arming teachers would be equivalent to passing out paper, pencils and Glocks to each and every teacher in September. We know that is not what was ever intended. But, if a teacher had his/her permit, received additional training (if required) and could then be allowed to CCW in a school...I say go for it.

The same could apply to bank employees. Guns would not be handed out to all bank employees, but those with permits and specialized training for 'bank situations'...let them carry.

Here in FL, I can carry into any bank, and I do...why shouldn't employees be afforded the same rights?

I read so many here talk about their rights to SD, shouldn't bank employees have those same rights if it is their choice?

How could any of you deny bank employees the right to be armed, feel that it might not be safe for YOU, but in the next thread talk about not going to businesses that take that right away from YOU?

Just because a bank employee has a sidearm (like most of us) does not mean he/she is expected to do anything except use common sense, and with training and practice, know when and how to use the 'tool's he/she is allowed to carry...given the proper opportunity.

We talk 'tough threads' about RKBA, about places being safer if we can have our sidearms with us, about our training, practice, and staying in yellow....

We talk about 'guns safe zones' being a magnet for dirtbags? How desirable would it be for bank robbers who can count on 'no guns' or one gun by the front door being held by an 85 year old with a cane...instead having to worry about 25 armed customers and another 20 armed employees?

We don't see wackos walking into police stations to pull their brazen antics now, do we? I wonder why?

Stay armed...count your money carefully...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If I was a bank employee, I would want to carry.

If I was a bank customer and someone tried to rob the bank while I was inside, I would hope some employees other than the lone security guard (if there even was one) were carrying.

Most bank robberies go off without a shot. Most people go through every day without encountering a life-threatening situation with a BG.

I carry and train for the exceptions.

A bank is not a "can't get shot during a robbery" zone. And just because people are armed, it doesn't mean they will draw and fire. It depends on the situation. I don't think bank employees' training will change from "just give them the money." My guess is they would be trained to only intervene in life-threatening situations such as if the robbers were shooting or executing people.

I doubt it will ever happen, but I believe bank employees who want to be armed should be allowed to be armed.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TapRackBang View Post
    What's the difference in a teller carrying a firearm and a customer carrying a firearm.

In teaching CCW classes we stress when to just be a good witness and let the situation develop and resolve itself. That being said if things starting going really bad, the teller or the customer at least have a fighting chance.

It not about about having the firearm on you, its the logical, tactical and ethical use of the firearm in self defense of persons only (money not so much..unless it's mine, then kill them all and let god sort them out)

That last part was humor in case your a lib.
    Plus 1

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

The question is why should we deny someone else their individual rights to CCW while insisting that we should be able to carry everywhere. All the antis have the same argument about anyone carrying anywhere, period: Just don't resist and you'll be fine.

Horse Puckey. That's leaving my life to chance and the whim of a felon. I'm not into letting a scumbag make life or death decisions for me. I want to observe and decide for myself which of my options I should be using, but I want them all with me.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Discreetly carried, I see no reason why not. These peoples lives are no different than my own.

They should have an equal chance in protection of their lives too.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Yes they should just like we all should be allowed to carry anywhere anytime.

I spoke with the manager of my local credit union one day not long after they were robbed and he told me how helpless he felt being inside with the robber and having his pistol in his glovebox.

He couldn't carry per company policy.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Yes, if they have a CCL.

About 15 years ago when I was a bank teller, the bank I was working got robbed. It would have been 4 v 1 if I was armed, but there were opportunities that would have worked to my advantage (one was covering everyone in the vault while the other three were at the front of the bank with the manager by the ATM). If I had taken that guy out, would the other three have fled or fought back, thus endangering the 10 employees and customers in the vault?

In short, there are more potential situations than the lone robber that an employee would have to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    The question is why should we deny someone else their individual rights to CCW while insisting that we should be able to carry everywhere. All the antis have the same argument about anyone carrying anywhere, period: Just don't resist and you'll be fine.

Horse Puckey. That's leaving my life to chance and the whim of a felon. I'm not into letting a scumbag make life or death decisions for me. I want to observe and decide for myself which of my options I should be using, but I want them all with me.
    +1 for Cupcake, How can we collectively say we should be allowed to carry anywhere and then decide who we think should and should not be allowed to carry. That totally goes against what we talk about.

My wife has been in banking for 25 years and so far never been through a robbery but that does not mean it won't happen. If the turds were to hit the fan at her bank and things went bad I would hope that some good guy was carrying. I agree that protecting the bank assets is not a good reason but they have the same right to protect their life as EVERYONE else.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Do you think bank employee's should carry?
    Absolutely ... every one of them, if they choose. And, every person from supervisor on up, as a requirement of the job.

If the rationale is that it isn't worth it due to the paltry sums taken in robberies, the number of instances can be drawn down to practically nothing over time, via aggressive armed resistance every time.

The logic is no different than with citizens going about their normal tasks. The greater the number of mines, the more capable the minefield.

My $0.03.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links