Carry in Arkansas

This is a discussion on Carry in Arkansas within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to be spending some time this summer in Arkansas at various locations and need a little help to determine about carrying in ...

Thread: Carry in Arkansas

Carry in Arkansas

I am going to be spending some time this summer in Arkansas at various locations and need a little help to determine about carrying in certain areas. I will be in Hot Springs for about a week. It is also a National Park so what changes if any do I have to make to carry there? I will also be up at Petit Jean Mountain. Any issues carrying in the park there other than the lodge which I already know is posted?
    The best preventative medicine is superior fire power.

2. Remove Ads

State parks are good to go for CC in general. You cannot carry into any state office which includes the visitors center, and having been to two of our state parks this weekend (Devil's Den and Lake Ft Smith state parks)...off limits locations are clearly posted. National park carry still seems to be the subject of debate even though earlier it appeared we had taken care of this. Research here:
    NRA-ILA :: Senators Introduce Bi-Partisan Legislation To Restore Second Amendment in National Parks
    Senators Introduce Bi-Partisan Legislation To Restore Second Amendment in National Parks

Thursday, April 02, 2009

Fairfax, Va. – Today, U.S. Senators Mike Crapo (R-ID), Max Baucus (D-MT), Bob Bennett (R-UT), Jon tester (D-MT) and Blanche Lincoln (D-AR) introduced legislation to restore the Second Amendment rights of visitors in national parks and wildlife refuges. The current Department of the Interior (DOI) regulations were amended by the Bush Administration in 2008, allowing law-abiding citizens to defend themselves by carrying a concealed firearm in national parks and wildlife refuges. However, early this year, a federal district court in Washington, D.C. granted anti-gun plaintiffs a preliminary injunction against implementation of the new rule. The NRA has been working for the past several years in the regulatory, legal, and legislative arenas to achieve this policy change.

“NRA would like to thank this bi-partisan group of Senators for leading the legislative effort to strengthen right-to-carry laws on federal park lands. Sen. Crapo has been at the forefront of this fight from the very beginning, along with Sen. Baucus,” said Chris W. Cox, NRA chief lobbyist. “NRA is committed to changing the old, outdated rule, and will continue to work aggressively with Congress to pass this critical legislation. NRA will continue to pursue every avenue to defend the American people’s right of self-defense.”

This bill would provide uniformity across our nation’s federal lands and put an end to the patchwork of regulations that governed different lands managed by different federal agencies. In the past, only Bureau of Land Management and Forest Service lands allowed the carrying of firearms, while National Parks and Wildlife Refuges did not.

In 1982, only six states allowed citizens to carry handguns for self-defense. Currently, 48 states have some process in place for issuing licenses or permits to allow law-abiding citizens to legally carry firearms for self-defense. Two states do not require permits, 38 states have a “shall-issue” permit process, and eight have a discretionary process for issuing permits. The NRA has long held that amendments to those regulations were needed to reflect the changed legal situations with respect to state laws governing the carrying firearms.

This move will restore the rights of law-abiding gun owners who wish to transport and carry firearms for lawful purposes on most DOI lands, and will make federal law consistent with the state law in which these lands are located.

“This is a common-sense measure. Senators Crapo, Baucus, Bennett, tester and Lincoln should be commended for their efforts to allow law-abiding gun owners the option of protecting themselves in our federal parks and refuges. This legislation will amend out-of-date regulations and restore the Second Amendment rights of American gun owners,” concluded Cox.
    At this time, I won't carry in a national park, and hope for the best outcome soon.

Thanks. Hot Springs is one of my concerns. While I am a Native Arkansan and grew up outside of Hot Springs I have not lived there in a long time. It is not your traditional National Park that most people think of.

I was just down at Petit Jean over Easter. The only place i saw no gun signs was the lodge and the park office. The only place i had my gun with me in the park was in the shower house, i didnt see any signs there. Other than that, just left the pistol in the trailer. My wife use to work at the park so i had to take her back to her park for a visit.

I have a cabin reserved up there in a couple of months for the family. Used to go there frequently when growing up and with my wife when we were dating.

Links