Pulled over by cop while carrying concealed... what to do?

This is a discussion on Pulled over by cop while carrying concealed... what to do? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In NC you only have to inform not display unless asked. I informed at a license check the other day and the town police stated ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pulled over by cop while carrying concealed... what to do?

In NC you only have to inform not display unless asked. I informed at a license check the other day and the town police stated "Next time show your permit with your license". I didn't say anything but he was definitely wrong as the law says you must inform not show (unless asked) when in the presence of an officer. He was a fairly new police officer.

2. Remove Ads

Here in CO, we are not required to disclose, however, it has come to my attention that some of the county sheriffs in CO place a notation in our (CCP holders) files that we are "Persons of interest". That will be known to any officer before he/she approached our vehicle.

Therefore I will disclose in the most polite way I know.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Quote Originally Posted by oldie View Post
    In Florida you don't have to notify unless asked.
    No, you don't...but I believe I would/have just out of courtesy.
    I do not make a big deal out of it. I'm not 'frozen' to the steering wheel with that glazed look like..."Oh, crap I have a gun, please...what do I do now?"

I'm very calm and natural, I inform the officer that I'm a legally armed Flordian. Did the same thing in KY. The officers involved all stated..."Thanks for telling me, where is it located?"

After informing them, not much else was said. One did ask about what I had, and when I said a Kimber Ultra, he replied, "Nice gun!"

I have found any and all LEO in FL to be cool, calm when it came to being legally armed...none of them asked to see my permit or the weapon.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; April 13th, 2009 at 08:15 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I always show DL and CCl at the same time as a courtesy. I try very hard to always do what i'd want someone to do if it was my husband out there. Every time they respond with oh great, good for a woman to have protection. Have never had one ask me what kind or where it is located.

informing leo while carrying

here in mich. we are reqiured to inform the officer if pulled over or
    any other offical leo interaction. if not carrying,not required to say
    anything about your cpl.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

VIP Member
    Number three for me, since we have no requirement to advise in AZ. "Don't ask ~ Don't tell"
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

IMHO with what is going on in the news I think we have a perfect opportunity to show LEO's that we are not the enemy. we need everyone we can get on our side
    reguarding our rights to firearms. Put yourself in the LEO's position wouldn't you what to know, plus I think it shows them you a law abiding and have nothing to hide.
    We can use all the help we can get. just my take on the situation.
    "You Can't Fix Stupid"
    USAF RETIRED
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    In SC; you keep BOTH hands on the wheel and give him both DL and CWP when he asks for ID.

In WA you don't have to tell them but I still would choose #1. If I was in the officer's shoes I would appreciate someone telling me they are armed and where their gun is. The last thing he needs is a surprise, as stated earlier I want to be the one that lets him know I'm armed.

It may not directly answer the OP question...but this is a great post by SIXTO some time back.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ops-101-a.html
    Change We Can Believe In 01.20.13 Gun Control is Being Able to Hit Your Target.

Quote Originally Posted by plblark View Post
    Don't use the word Gun.
    That is really good advice.

VIP Member
    The law does not require you to inform the officer here in Nevada but I think it's the courteous thing to do.
    I would hand my permit with the license.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I would always tell the LEO I had a pistol and give its location. Policemen/policewomen deserve our respect and I would not want to be an officer in a position where I didn't know.

Maybe the LEO's can give their input, but this is my take on it. The usual reason I would be stopped would be for speeding. Let's say it is a small town officer or a fresh graduate from the academy on his first night out without senior officer.

I don't give permit with license/don't tell, he goes back to his cruiser with my info and runs my info and dispatch tells him that I HAVE a permit,,,,if it was me, on my walk back to the car, I am running over in my mind WHY didn't he tell me he had one; what else might he be hiding etc., I unsnap, JUST IN CASE!!!! He approaches the vehicle and my hands are in my lap/not visible, has he lost his job and pissed, whatever,,,,just a lot of things running through his mind,,,,just in case.

I make a move with my hands and he just sees my shoulders and wonders what exactly I am doing,,,,this could get bad, REAL FAST and might, I repeat might, have a bad result. I would not ever put an officer in that situation whether the "state" said I didn't have to.

A friend of mine used to tell me, "If a man will lie about one thing, he will lie about another", to me this means, "if I will hide one thing, what else am hiding". Required or not, I will inform. Jim

As others here have said the law varies from state to state. Here in Nevada the law reads that I must show my CWP upon "request of a peace officer." I would rather air on the side of being safer than sorry.

I've made a point of asking several LEO's what would be the best way to deal with being pulled over by a LEO. He advised me that the first two things I should hand him/her is my driver's license and my concealed weapons permit. Once the LEO knows that I'm being open with him that I may have a weapon on me this helps. The last thing I want to do is surprise him with my G26 on my hip.

Long story short, it is better to air on the side of caution during a traffic stop.

But that's my humble opinion for what thats worth.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links