Pulled over by cop while carrying concealed... what to do? - Page 3

Pulled over by cop while carrying concealed... what to do?

This is a discussion on Pulled over by cop while carrying concealed... what to do? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Paco Here's what I do, many of which I did before I started carrying. Pull over (Obvious one) Turn car off lower ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pulled over by cop while carrying concealed... what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Here's what I do, many of which I did before I started carrying.

1. Pull over (Obvious one)
    2. Turn car off
    3. lower window
    4. turn on all lights (only at night)
    5. put both hands on the wheel, in plain sight.
    6. When asked, I produce my DL and CHL (by law, but I would regardless)
    7. Inform the LEO of the location of my handgun, if asked if I am carrying.

Don't forget general politeness and courtesy since they typically see the worst in people as a result of their jobs, they don't need me making it any more difficult.
    Well Said!!!
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why it is called, Present.

A friend of mine is a LEO in Jacksonville, FL. When I asked him this question that had been posted on a similar thread, he told me that he wasn't concerned with the law abiding permit holder, and doesn't ask. He was more concerned with the person who carries without a permit. He has some tactics and training to know what to look for in that case.

I was pulled over for speeding in Indiana in Dec. '08. Had my permit and Rossi M-68 in the map pocket of the Honda to my left. LEO came up to the passenger side, I had the window rolled down, had my DL in hand. All he asked for was the license and registration, he never asked if I had any weapons or permit. I almost handed him the permit just in case, but decided not at the last second. He was a very well trained officer, had a position where I couldn't see him well, had a flashlight right in my eyes and he also was aware of my wife and her actions. She was in the passenger seat. I was holding back the dog. She was way more of a threat to him than me.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I havent been stopped by LE for many years. However, if I were to be stopped, I would present my DL and my permit together. I feel the LEO has a right to know up front.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Thumbs down

Here in South Florida #3 applies all the way. every so often I do give the officer my permit but not on a regular. Actually I was pulled over recently and here was the scenario:
    I was out of my jurisdiction in a different town(Hollywood, Fl) helping a buddy of mine move and he was having some phone trouble so we pulled into a 7-Eleven so I could use the head and we could trouble shoot his issue then be on our way. While at the stor we had some numb nutts come by the store. typical scum bags gold teeth, wife beater, pants hanging off rear, backwards hat, basically the whole nine yards. We're standing at my car when they come by and of course PD roles by and idles. I tell my friend to disassociate himself from them and reposition to the rear of the car so we could finish up then depart. Throughout the process PD roles around and idles then disapears. As we wrap up I'm eager to get the hell out of dodge so I don't have to deal with any unecessary drama. As we're leaving the officer is at another local pretty much waiting for us to leave. we pull out and I tell my buddy he's going to come and pull us over. In which he did, I my back passenger carries also and he was attempting to get his CWL out and I told him no for what? The officer approaches and ask for my DL proof of insurance etc. So I asked him what he pulled me for? His response and I quote, "well I knew the other guys were prone to troubled, but I didn't know you so I came after you? Now in this case if I would of presented my CWL and he aske if I had any weapons there would of been a major issue, because I had my AR in the back with god knows how many mags stacked, my sidearm, with about 2-3 extra mags, not to mention my back passenger and what he's carrying. He pretty much saw that we weren't scum bags and wanted to know why we were hanging out there. In the end I ended up getting a ticket for some bs and sent on my way all because I wans't a scum nutts.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; April 14th, 2009 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Removed quoted post.
    The sheepdog is both blessed and cursed with the capacity for violence, and a profound love for the flock. This is what makes the warrior different from the wolf.
    -Dave Grossman

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Michigan is a must disclose state and I will follow that law with no problem. If I am stopped I will immediately disclose that I have a permit and where my firearm is located. The engine will be shut off and my hands will be where the officer can see them. I will then ask the officer what he would like me to do. That follows the law and shows the officer that I am both respectful and law-abiding, and let's the officer maintain control of the situation.
    Showing respect to a person of authority is the way I was raised, and respect is something that LEO's appreciate, but don't always get.

Funny story, a couple of years ago(pre CPL) I was returning from a friends house a little before 11:00pm. It was a nice summer night and I was driving my Mustang GT. I had stopped at a traffic light and when it changed I had an overwhelming desire to drive the car the way it was designed to be driven I got a little carried away with the fun and Mr. Friendly LEO just happened to be sitting on a side street well out of view. When he stopped me he asked,"What was that all about?"
    Well what do you do when you have just laid down some nice fresh blacktop, made enough noise for 6 cars and exceeded the posted speed limit by 20 MPH???
    I decided to just be honest. I told him I was simply being Stupid, I did something I know was wrong, but I did enjoy myself. Flat out honest! Did I expect he was going to like this, no not really, but gee I've heard honesty is the best policy.
    I really had no idea how he was going to react, but his response was beyond anything that I expected.
    I drove away without a ticket, but with a warning, after an extended conversation about Mustangs, modifications and seeing a picture of his Mustang as well. He did tell me, that nobody has ever been so totally honest with him in a traffic stop before and yea, he understands appreciating such a fine vehicle, but I should confine such behavior to the local drag strip.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

The responses were WAY more than I anticipated, and enjoyed each one! Thanks for the info and the stories!

In NC:

Get your DL, CCW permit & registration out before the officer gets up to your window
    Turn on dome light (at night)
    Roll down your window, turn off engine
    Hand over your DL, CCW permit and registration
    **Tell the officer you're carrying (required by NC law)**
    Keep your hands on the steering wheel
    Relax

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Here's what I do, many of which I did before I started carrying.

1. Pull over (Obvious one)
    2. Turn car off
    3. lower window
    4. turn on all lights (only at night)
    5. put both hands on the wheel, in plain sight.
    6. When asked, I produce my DL and CHL (by law, but I would regardless)
    7. Inform the LEO of the location of my handgun, if asked if I am carrying.

Don't forget general politeness and courtesy since they typically see the worst in people as a result of their jobs, they don't need me making it any more difficult.
    +1!!! Paco and I definitely agree on this.

In addition, showing your card shows that you're a "Good Guy" and have already been subject to background and criminal record checks.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links