Should I change how I conceal or am I just being paranoid?

This is a discussion on Should I change how I conceal or am I just being paranoid? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was out with my Glock23 (in its Comp Tac Infidel IWB holster) at about 5 o'clock and a large shirt over it. It was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I change how I conceal or am I just being paranoid?

Should I change how I conceal or am I just being paranoid?

I was out with my Glock23 (in its Comp Tac Infidel IWB holster) at about 5 o'clock and a large shirt over it. It was a bit windy and when I left a store I thought someone was looking at me odd. When I got to my car I checked and it was fully covered. I am afraid that the wind made my shirt hug the grip of the gun. Am I just being paranoid? If not, what can I do to cover it up in hot Texas weather?

Also, does anyone know the fine details regarding any penalties from minor printing from wind (if I'm not being paranoid) or some other uncontrollable source?

Thanks,
    -Glock40Texan
    "No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
    -Thomas Jefferson-

2. Remove Ads

you could try baseball jersey's.. personaly i use football ones. large ones

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Printing is not illegal. Brandishing is illegal. Printing is not brandishing.

Conceal as best you can and remain comfortable. Don't let the fearful looks from " " make you feel like a criminal.

I don't mean to be careless in your concealment, I just mean let things be natural and normal. If you print once in a while or even get exposed due to wind blowing your shirt, don't worry so much about it.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Printing is not illegal. Brandishing is illegal. Printing is not brandishing.

Conceal as best you can and remain comfortable. Don't let the fearful looks from " " make you feel like a criminal.

I don't mean to be careless in your concealment, I just mean let things be natural and normal. If you print once in a while or even get exposed due to wind blowing your shirt, don't worry so much about it.
    I agree, its not illegal so who cares if the wind causes a little printing. I use to be a little paranoid myself if i was printing but then realized even if I was %99 are to busy with there own lives to notice.

Don't worry about it, after a while you will see it's almost impossible to not print once in a while.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    So many people in our day and age carry all kinds of devices around their waist. Conceal it, and don't worry.

In Texas, incidental exposures like this are not against the law. Intentially exposing your sidearm is another story. (Tell it to the judge.)
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Most people don't notice. But I did have something happen to me today that was funny. I had to get a ladder off the top of my Hummer today and when I did gun became in full view of my contractor. He back up about three steps and his eyes about popped out of his head. He didn't know I carried after I told him I had CWL he was cool with it. It just surprised him.

Wondering if the cell/gun holster, I forget the origial name of it, would be better about not printing since it is flat on the outside and is worn like a pocket?

Get a good cover shirt. Harley Davidson makes some good ones and a lot of people wear then whether they own a bike or not. (I used to) The fashion for the summer is also what I call "island wear", the Hawaiian/Tommy Bahama type shirt. Good cover and cool for the summer.

As far as letting the wind blow your cover, just be more careful. You don't want the public to "discern" that you have a firearm.

Sort of a personal decision. That sort of issue is why I won't carry anything bigger than discreet pocket carry. I'm not willing to take that risk, but many people are any I understand their reasoning.

Also, does anyone know the fine details regarding any penalties from minor printing from wind (if I'm not being paranoid) or some other uncontrollable source?

Thanks,
    -Glock40Texan

There is a fine. You are officially docked 20 cool points.

For me, I found the whole issue of unintentional disclosure and printing begins with your weapon and carry rig. I found I could not easily conceal my P226 in many situations, so I did research and ultimately decided on a companion sidearm to my wife's Ultra Aegis II - a Kimber Ultra CDP II. I have a forward cant and use either my SuperTuck or a Wild Bill's clip IWB. Both conceal very well and hold the pistol tight to my side.

I think the big, baggy shirts are actually a problem. They tend to blow up in the wind and expose your rig more often than the closer fitting shirts and coats. In addition, you look like you got dressed by falling into a laundry basket. I once saw a dude who turned out to be a gun dealer at my local breakfast joint. He was wearing a camo NRA hat, a baggy t-shirt, and when he stood up to put on his jacket, his t-shirt rode up and I could clearly see his rig. Although he was a nice fellow, his scruffy, redneck appearance would make the prissy locals a bit nervous if they knew he was totin' a Roscoe.

There's a young guy who posts here (I think his name is Jonathan) who has posted pics of his concealed 1911 IWB with some stylish duds that conceal very well.

Plus, for warm weather, the nicer Tommy Bahama/Nat Nast type shirts over a tee not only look smart, but are cool and conceal well. If I dress nicely, even if I am every "outed", most people would see me and think detective or politician, and not some grimy, bitter, middle-aged crazy dude with a gun.

It's how you carry yourself as much as how you carry your piece.

Chill out!

I assume you are new to carrying. It is normal to feel that you are being looked at for the first little while. -le 99.9% of the time are way too wrapped up in their own existence to notice something on your waist. You have a good firearm in a very quality holster. It will conceal. People mount cameras, phone, iPods, pagers, and even insulin pumps to their belts. Nobody thinks anything of it. For the first little while it will seem like you are walking around with a large noticeable growth on your side. You will assimilate and it will actually not feel normal when you don't have it there. You will become comfortable and forget about it which will aid in your perception that others do not notice. Just hang in there...welcome to the forum and keep watching over the flock.

Plus nice selection on the G23...it is my EDC in a HBE Com III.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

mkh
    That is one reason I carry IWB. The bulk of the firearm is inside your pants so the shirt can ride up higher without exposing anything. The shirt has to come up above your belt in order to expose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links