After 42 years of driving, my first LE stop! Positive

This is a discussion on After 42 years of driving, my first LE stop! Positive within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Situation: My wife and I were returning from the beach in Destin, FL. We had just crossed the causeway heading north doing 34 MPH in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After 42 years of driving, my first LE stop! Positive

Thumbs up After 42 years of driving, my first LE stop! Positive

Situation: My wife and I were returning from the beach in Destin, FL. We had just crossed the causeway heading north doing 34 MPH in a 35 MPH zone. 1 County patrol had a vehicle stopped along the side of the road with another patrol 200 feet closer sitting on the grass to the right, obviously taking radar. How else would I know that I was going 34 MPH! I got over in the middle turn lane and passed both cars because of the new law in GA requires you to "move over" when you pass emergency vehicles. Next thing I know is here comes the other patrol after somebody....me. I pull over, "Pull completely off the roadway" bellows from his loud speaker. I am now completely on the grass. I grap my wallet to get my DL, MIL ID and my GA Firearms License, and also retrieve my vehicle registration and proof of insurance. Oh, by the way, I'm carrying a XD 40 subcompact in a belly band, cross draw, and my BUG is in my right front jeans pocket. "Do you know why I pulled you over?" I really didn't have a clue. "You were going 34 in a 35 MPH zone. However, this is considered a 2 lane hwy even with a center turn lane. In this case you should have been going 20 MPH under the posted speed limit of 35." I did the math, that's a slooooow 15 MPH. I said, "we have a similar law in GA and I thought I'd gotten over far enough to protect the stopped vehicles." He then looked at my GA DL, MIL ID, and GA Firearms License. He then ask, "what are you carrying?" I told him an XD 40 subcompact and pointed to it. He replied, "don't touch it and keep your hands in plain sight." Of course, I did as instructed. He then proceeded to run my stuff and returns. He gives back my documents and says, "I am going to give you a warning this time." I thanked him and headed home. My wife, who was fit to be tied, lit into the patrol by accusing him of stopping only out of towners. Oh, I forgot to mention that the other stopped vehicle was from Indiana and every vehicle passing us while we were pulled over should have been going 15 MPH...NOT!! Don't know why we just got a warning but having my documents in order and not arguing with the patrol may have helped. Of course, my GA Veterans license plates and my ARMY, Marine, Ranger Assn, USAMU Shooting team and NRA Life member stickers may have helped too. We'll really never know. I just hope it takes another 42 years to get stopped again, that will make me 100! Being a hard headed Army Colonel (RET), I would have contested the ticket. What else do I have to do besides shoot and go to the beach?!!
    Courage: "Do not follow where the path may lead...go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Retired Army, Infantry
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    What a goofy law. And he probably was targeting out of state plates, anything north out of Fl. is a drug route.

I'd also instruct your wife about knowing to stop while you're ahead.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sounds like a good deal. I bet your wife was right.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    anything north out of Fl. is a drug route.
    SIXTO's right about the drug route! Out here along GA's coast it's a BIG deal. Sounds like you got caught in the snowbird, spring break, out-of-towners 'profile'.

Glad it turned out as good as it did sir.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

sounds like a bunch of bull poop to me its a 2 lane highway so you should be doing 20 under?
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; April 14th, 2009 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Language.

What a goofy law. And he probably was targeting out of state plates, anything north out of Fl. is a drug route.

***DING DING DING****

We have a winner ladies and gentlemen.

Biker

VIP Member
    we have a similar law, drivers who are nearing emergency vehicles stopped with lights activated have to either slow down or change lanes.
    -Vacate the lane closest to the emergency vehicle if the highway has two or more lanes traveling the direction of the emergency vehicle.
    -Slow to a speed not more than 20 mph less than the posted speed limit when the posted speed limit is 25 mph or more.
    -Slow to a speed not more than 5 mph when the posted speed limit is less than 25 mph.
    I've not ever seen or heard of it being enforced, I'm sure it is used for a select few ones that need a

you were probably stopped due to the drug route like Sixto said, then when he realized your "good guy" status the stop didn't go any further

....and instruct the wife to when you get pulled over
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

You better believe she was biting her tongue! Of course, I had to hear about it all the way home. Hooah
    Courage: "Do not follow where the path may lead...go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Retired Army, Infantry
    NRA Life Member

A rubbernecking law... how nice..

In a 25 mph zone, slow down to 5 mph?

What are you supposed to do in a 10 mph, drive in reverse 5 mph?

I've heard of moving to the outside lane and slowing down, but this strikes me as a bit extreme...sort of a $$ maker IMHO.

Glad the LEO was respectful about the sidearm.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

mkh
    Congrats on 42 years of driving without a traffic stop.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    In a 25 mph zone, slow down to 5 mph?

What are you supposed to do in a 10 mph, drive in reverse 5 mph?

I've heard of moving to the outside lane and slowing down, but this strikes me as a bit extreme...sort of a $$ maker IMHO.

Glad the LEO was respectful about the sidearm.
    I'm still hearing about it from my wife!!

Retired Army, Infantry
    NRA Life Member

What a dumb law...
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

I just finished basic mandate in Georgia a month ago and, while we didn't cover every single code section, I never heard of that one. Did he write a Code section on the warning? I'd like to know what it is. Sounds odd.

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    What a dumb law...

The purpose is to keep vehicles away from paramedics, cops, fire fighters, sometimes even tow truck drivers, who happen to be on the shoulder. It's not just for their safety but the passing driver as well.

Go stand on the shoulder of your nearest interstate (if lawful in your area) and I'd bet you will soon agree.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links