Military on PCS orders -vs- non-resident permits

This is a discussion on Military on PCS orders -vs- non-resident permits within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know if most states treat military CWP holders the same as non-resident permit holders? My reason for asking is the many trips I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Military on PCS orders -vs- non-resident permits

Military on PCS orders -vs- non-resident permits

Does anyone know if most states treat military CWP holders the same as non-resident permit holders? My reason for asking is the many trips I make from SC to FL - I hold a military CWP w/SC and I know FL now accepts SC permits - but there is a caveat w/FL (indeed many states) that reciprocity is for resident permit holders only?

2. Remove Ads

I don't know how Florida treats active duty permit holders, but it seems like the obvious solution here is to get a non-resident Florida permit. They'll honor that regardless of where you life (as will many other states, considerably more than your SC permit).

Thanks for the info.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    It seems to me that some states will issue resident permits to active duty military in the state of your duty station as long as you have PCS orders. I believe Utah is one of those states. You may want to check into this. As long as your duty station state has reciprocity with Florida, you should be good to go.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

VIP Member
    If you have a SC CWP it is a resident permit, SC does not have a non-resident permit, so it will be honored in FL, or any other state that honors SC. What exactly is a military SC permit, I've never heard of the animal before?

You have to be a resident of the state you live in and hold a CWP from there in order to carry in FL. For example, I have UT permit but I'm a resident of CT (living in NV) so I cannot carry in FL.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    If you have a SC CWP it is a resident permit, SC does not have a non-resident permit, so it will be honored in FL, or any other state that honors SC. What exactly is a military SC permit, I've never heard of the animal before?
    I think he's referring to the fact that we're not permanent residents, but can get our CWP based on our orders assigning us to SC.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Quote Originally Posted by Shotdown View Post
    You have to be a resident of the state you live in and hold a CWP from there in order to carry in FL. For example, I have UT permit but I'm a resident of CT (living in NV) so I cannot carry in FL.
    That can't be quite right. I live in NJ [I know, but I'm moving back to America after I retire] which does not issue CWPs unless you're a friend of Gov. Corzine, but I can carry in FL with my non-resident permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigrebleau View Post
    That can't be quite right. I live in NJ [I know, but I'm moving back to America after I retire] which does not issue CWPs unless you're a friend of Gov. Corzine, but I can carry in FL with my non-resident permit.
    You can carry in Florida with a non-resident Florida permit (which is what I suggested to the OP). However, if you had a non-resident permit from some other state (Utah, for example) you wouldn't be able to carry in Florida even if Florida normally recognizes that state's permits, because Florida doesn't recognize other state's non-resident permits.

PCS means "Permanent Change of Station" That is where you are now a resident of. The state that you file you taxes in. Your home of record is not pertinent. Even if stationed overseas you do not pay your home state taxes because you are not a resident there.

If you are a resident of SC (your stationed there) and hold their permit, then that is a resident permit. According to how you stated FL reciprocity law then you are valid there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chroode View Post
    PCS means "Permanent Change of Station" That is where you are now a resident of. The state that you file you taxes in. Your home of record is not pertinent. Even if stationed overseas you do not pay your home state taxes because you are not a resident there.

If you are a resident of SC (your stationed there) and hold their permit, then that is a resident permit. According to how you stated FL reciprocity law then you are valid there.
    I disagree.

When I was stationed in Oklahoma, or Colorado, both which have state income tax, I did not file a tax return for either of those states since I wasn't a resident there and had no wages attributable to those states. I remained a resident of Texas, kept my Texas DL and everything else associated with being a resident of Texas.

I would think that in order to get a FL resident CHL you would have to change your DL, auto registration, voting record and various other things to qualify as a resident.

Texas requires that you be a "resident" for 6 months prior to getting a resident CHL. I am not sure if there is a time limit on FL or not.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

That is 100% wrong. You pay taxes were your legeal resident it. I can be your HOR or were you are stationed. For some people it is their HOR some were stationed. When I first joined the military I payed Missouri state tax had a North Carolina lincens and North Carolina tags. So I had two residents and could have license in either state. That is one of the advantages of being in the military.

IANL To get back on topic if you have a SC permit unless you own the house you are at and keep it then you will have to follow the what the law is in Florida. This is what I was told by a JAG about my Texas permit when I moved to MI.
    Bryan A Dreyer
    Sgt USMC/US Army
    .45 ACP

PCS means "Permanent Change of Station" That is where you are now a resident of. The state that you file you taxes in. Your home of record is not pertinent.
    Not quite accurate. PCS is a permanent change of station, and you're a physical resident, but you can still be a resident of your HOR for tax purposes. I am.

IANAL, but that's how I understand it, too.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Quote Originally Posted by Tigrebleau View Post
    If you're stating that you have a FL CWP license (resident or non-resident) then you can obviously carry there. If not, read my post again.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dreyerba View Post
    That is 100% wrong. You pay taxes were your legeal resident it. I can be your HOR or were you are stationed. For some people it is their HOR some were stationed. When I first joined the military I payed Missouri state tax had a North Carolina lincens and North Carolina tags. So I had two residents and could have license in either state. That is one of the advantages of being in the military.
    Actually, that is close. There could be 3 states involved.
    HOR--- where you joined or re-enlisted-- if certain steps are taken to change HOR
    State stationed in could be your state of residence if certain administrative steps are taken.
    Then if you PCS to a third state, legal residency does not change unless you again take the necessary administrative steps to change it.
    That new state you PCSed to is your domicile and that state offers certain privileges such as DR license, car registration, resident hunting & fishing license ect. but tax liability stays with the legal residence as established by law.
    As such with CCW, the state your stationed in will determine if a CCW granted on domicile basis in another state is valid. You will have to go to the Sheriff's office and ask.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links