Traveling to upstate NY

Traveling to upstate NY

This is a discussion on Traveling to upstate NY within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be traveling to upstate NY in a couple of months for a few days. After looking at the firearm laws map, it appears ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling to upstate NY

Traveling to upstate NY

I will be traveling to upstate NY in a couple of months for a few days. After looking at the firearm laws map, it appears that NY is the only state that I will be traveling in that I will not be able to carry. Please tell me that I am looking at this wrong. I always like to carry while I travel.
    The most and best is known to the man who quits his bed before sunrise... who spends his days on the mountains and forests...who bears the heat and cold and hunger and thirst, for the love of nature...to visit the utmost refuges of beast and bird .....Alfred Pease

I am eager to hear the answer from locals as I am a NC boy who will be in upstate NY this summer. From what I've read, it's a big no-no state - almost as bad as MD and nearly another IL or WI.

As far as I know you are out of luck. NY does not officially recognize any other CCW permits.

I have heard stories of waivers being granted for people with special cause who will be traveling through, but I've also heard of people being denied even when they ask for special permissions.

Handgunlaw.us : CCW Map

There you have it. I've selected every state on the list and NY is still red. Which means unless you have a NY permit you cannot CC in NY.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    NY is a MAY issue state, but it's not done at the state level. Permits are issued at the county or local level. At last count according to Handgunlaw.us there were 59 licensing jurisdictions. And that's for residents. Non-residents need to have a compelling reason for obtaining a permit;

New York will issue to non-Residents but you must have a very good reason. Most say you must have business concerns in the county etc etc. New York is a may issue state but some counties are almost shall issue. It depends on the county. Some counties make it impossible for the average citizen to obtain a permit to carry concealed. Do be warned that you must have very compelling reasons to even be considered.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    Handgunlaw.us : CCW Map

There you have it. I've selected every state on the list and NY is still red......
    Check boxes don't persist in the link.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    If you happen to get, God forbid, pulled over for a traffic infraction and after the LEO sees your license.....don't mention the gun.....NY does NOT recognize a CCW from another state....mine is good in the whole stste, except NYC and parts of Albany.....I think parts of Buffalo now too....have to check but I'm not going there any time soon......so....
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Angry New York is the ONLY state you cannot transport a firearm through.

NYS law shows NO exemption for handguns except for shooting events.
    New York Penal Law Section 265.20 - Exemptions. - New York Attorney Resources - New York Laws
    Article 400 - Penal Law - Licensing and Other Provisions Relating to Firearms

NEW YORK--The transportation of handguns is prohibited except by a resident with a license to carry.

New York State has strict laws governing illegal possession of handguns which can result in a possible seven-year jail sentence for offenders.

Caution--New York law presumes that an individual stopped in possession of five or more handguns, without a state permit, possesses the handguns for illegal sale, thus subjecting this person to an increased sentence.

Caution--New York is the only state that prohibits the transportation of handguns without a license. Travelers should therefore be particularly careful since they face severe consequences should they inadvertently violate the state's highly restrictive statutes.

NEW YORK CITY--A city permit is required for possession and transportation of handguns and long guns. New York State handgun permits are invalid within the city limits;

New York City forbids possession of an "assault weapon," which includes various specified semi automatic rifles and shotguns, or revolving cylinder shotguns. It is unlawful to possess an "ammunition feeding device" capable of holding more than 17 rounds in a handgun, or more than 5 rounds in a rifle or shotgun.

In all cases, the general rule should be observed. The New York State law on illegal possession applies to the City as well.

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/NYSL.pdf

NON-RESIDENTS

It is unlawful for any person to carry, possess or
    transport a handgun in or through the state unless he
    has a valid New York license
    . (A provision of federal law
    provides a defense to state or local laws which would
    prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate
    travel if the person is traveling from any place where he
    may lawfully possess and transport a firearm to any other
    place where he may lawfully possess and transport such
    firearm and the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In
    vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in
    a locked container other than the glove compartment or
    console).

You can click as many boxes as you want but if the box for NY isn't clicked NY remains red.

Just consider that when you hit the border of New York State you have officially left the United States of America. You are now in a foreign land where the 2nd amendment doesn't apply.

You NC guys headed to Cooperstown by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by divkat9 View Post
    You NC guys headed to Cooperstown by any chance?
    Lake Placid area for me.

Good reason to NOT go to NY,.. . WOW... I knew they was tough, but.......

Depends how long you're planning on staying in NY. You don't meet the Transportation Act because you're destingation is NY. If you absolutely must have it I'd suggest (and this is illegal) as soon as you get to NY to put the gun in a TSA lock box with one magazine loaded stored in the trunk until you arrive to your destignation and leave the TSA lock box where you're staying for the duration of the trip. This will atleast allow you to have a gun while traveling to and from NY. But I wouldn't want to have access to it while in NY because God forbid you have to use it you're still going to get locked up for a long time for possession of an illegal firearm even if you had to use the gun to save your life while in NY. When ever I travel to a state that doesn't recongize my permit, I'll still take my gun to protect me to get to the state and then back home but while I'm in the state I'll store it on private property until I'm ready to leave for home. Remember, your gun should be your second weapon, your first weapon is your head. Be smart and you'll be fine.

I remember seeing a similar thread. Don't remember if it was on here or not. One of the suggestions was to drop off your gun at a gunsmith to have some work done somewhere before entering NY. Pick it up on your way home.

As a former NY state resident- don't do it. There are horror stories of people even trying to fly and going through those airports.

I have family still there and my oldest son is now living there, and I am having a real hard time with being disarmed and going to visit. It is not just not carrying there- my hometown is only about 20 minutes from the PA border. It is the fact that I will be driving 12 hours by myself with 3 kids and not be able to have my EDC with me, even though I can carry in every other state, because I cannot have it in NY.
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links