ptsd with ccw?

ptsd with ccw?

This is a discussion on ptsd with ccw? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A little background here, I returned from a deployment recently and now find myself having crazy nightmares and becoming easily agitated by loud noises(Firecrackers etc.)....My ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ptsd with ccw?

ptsd with ccw?

A little background here, I returned from a deployment recently and now find myself having crazy nightmares and becoming easily agitated by loud noises(Firecrackers etc.)....My wife thinks i should lock my gunss up for a while but i dont feel right without one. what dou ya'll think?

thats a call only you can make. I personally wouldnt carry a gun if i didnt feel i was 100% mentally healthy (thats not meant to be an insult, but trauma is a mental issue), i want to be in complete control, or as close to it as possible, of myself, and if i find myself getting very easily agitated, thats not good

just my 2 pennies

I think maybey your wife sees something that scares her,have you talked to any professionals about your nightmares,being skittish around loud noises fireworks is normal after being in combat,but sometimes we need a little help adjusting after we get back home."BTW THANK YOU AND GLAD YOUR HOME."
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

TTB
    Thank you for your service Sir!

the nightmares are all flashbacks, my shrink says they will get better in time...as far as being mentally fit, I think I'm ok...Its not like im living in an altered reality, I just react a little too quick. i still know right from wrong, thats sufficient isnt it?

Senior Moderator
    I think that if you were in the zone, its a perfectly natural thing to be that way.

You came from an environment where loud sounds meant danger or even death and you spent some time there.

It's going to take some time to "normalize" and get back to life. Until then just take it slow and easy and try to understand that most people dont understand.

Normalize, enjoy life. Appreciate what you didn't have before, an understanding of how life is supposed to be, vs the way it could be.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Only you know, it sounds like you are saying yes to yourself and asking for some reinforcement perhaps. I don't see a problem with it if you aren't having psychotic episodes but then again I'm no psychiatrist. I'm of a mind that I am responsible for my safety ,PERIOD. Ask your psychiatrist and go from there. I wish you the best of luck for a speedy recovery and thank you for your service. Keep your chin up,and your family close.

Thank you for your service from a fellow Virginian. Use your very best judgement and err on the side of caution.

I still sit right up in bed when I hear helicopters, 36 years later.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I still sit right up in bed when I hear helicopters, 36 years later.
    Yeah, there are still some things that bother me and have since 1967.
    NRA life member.

Senior Moderator
    One thing is that you and your wife will have to realize that you can never get back to "Normal"

You will have to find your new "Normal". Once you both realize that you are not and never will be the same person you were then you can go forward.

Thank You for standing up for the rest of us.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    One thing is that you and your wife will have to realize that you can never get back to "Normal"

You will have to find your new "Normal". Once you both realize that you are not and never will be the same person you were then you can go forward.

Thank You for standing up for the rest of us.
    Excellent post. Best advice you can get.
    Even without traumatic situations, over the years, people change, environment changes, perception changes; none of us are the same person we were 10 years ago.

THANKS for your service and remember, time is a great healer.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

My dad is a 100% combat disabled vet that suffers from PTSD from his stint with the 25th inf div at CuChi in 1966-67. as kids we woke him up and ducked... my mom says many nites years after they married she would wake up and see him staring at the ceiling. He has a Bronze star and 2 purple hearts.. he also suffers from flashbacks and bad memories...he never talked about it till I was older and now he will tell me stories that makes me wonder how anybody could come out of and still be sane...said all of that to say this...he is one of the safest people I know with a gun...loves to hunt and carries one in his truck all the time... You are the only one that can make the decision if you are safe to carry a gun.... dad told me that the whole time he was in Vietnam he told himself that he would never go hunting or own a gun again... he got home at 10:00 pm on 4-11-67 and woke up early the next morning and went squirrel hunting.... according to him the flashbacks will subside...they didn't start really bothering him till he retired and had alot of time to think about things. I hope this makes sense...I helped him thru alot of this and he is more like my best friend than my dad...thank you for your service.... alot more people appreciate it than you think...Robbie

You can be the best judge. Take the hints of others and speak with a professional. We all have our tests and trials in life, but you do want to keep yourself and those around you, safe.

Your service is greatly appreciated by this poster.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    First off, as a retired vet, let me say thanks for your and your wifes service and sacrifices.
    As others have said, only you can make the decision. At least you are taking steps in the right directions, talking to a mental health professional. The nightmares will come and go, My dad is a WWII vet who served in the Pacific theater, he still has them on occasion, nothing like when I was young, but occasionally. The thing I would worry about is the comment you made about "reacting a little too quickly". Definitely something you wouldn't want to do with a gun.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links