Got pulled over today while carrying

This is a discussion on Got pulled over today while carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can't even remember the last time I got pulled over for anything, but today a LEO stopped me for what he said was running ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got pulled over today while carrying

Got pulled over today while carrying

I can't even remember the last time I got pulled over for anything, but today a LEO stopped me for what he said was running a red light. I could have sworn the light was going from green to yellow, but he said it was going from yellow to red. It doesn't matter at this point. He didn't give me a ticket.

He asked me if I have any recent infractions on my drivers license, which I said no. When he asked for my license insurance and registration, I also pulled out my CWP and said "Sir, I also want to let you know that I am legally carrying a concealed weapon." He then asked me where it was and I told him - in my left pocket. He said "ok, just keep it there while I go to my car for a minute."

He came back and we discussed the situation at the light a little more, and also asked me where I was going. I told him I was just leaving work and going home. He then asked "do you always carry your gun to work?" I responded "yes sir."

He ended up just giving me a verbal warning since I had no points on my license. He then cautioned me about the area having very dangerous traffic. He also thanked me for disclosing my CCW to him. I guess it pays to be up front in certain situations.
    Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite neurosis.

2. Remove Ads

Glad you had a positive encounter to report.

There you go folks, another Florida LEO with common sense.
    My feelings have nothing to do with either getting or not getting a ticket...although I'm glad you were able to avoid spending several 'C-Notes'...check out ticket prices lately?

Now tell me why there are other threads where the officer pulls his gun, takes yours, disassembles it, and then hides it in the trunk with specific orders not to touch it until he/she is out of sight?

Stay armed...gotta' love the GunShine State...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    IMO, that was a text book stop. You disclosed your intentions and possessions and the officer was professional. You both did your jobs.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I find the quesiton about carry to/from work interesting from a LEO.

I wonder if any of those poor folks in that Binghamton "civic center", thought before going (if it were legal for them to ccw), "Hmmmm, just a quick trip to the civic center before noon - who would need their sidearm?"

...or those now-deceased kids and teacher at VT, "Gee I'm just going to teach Political Science 101, and it's in the middle of campus in quiet Charlottesville. What could go wrong?"

The only places I'm perfectly comfortable without my sidearm are the range, a gun show, and the gun shop. I've never heard of a wacko showing up at a gun shop to start firing. Ever.

The only major places I am disallowed from cc are in DC and my university classrooms. Guess where all the shootings occur.

Very good encounter to report. Sounds as though everything was handled smoothly.

Every now and then we get a bad encounter at vehicle stops and I have to scratch my head and wonder why the LEO's in those instances acted the way they did.

I'm glad you had an uneventful encounter and also glad you didn't get a ticket!

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac
    I've never heard of a wacko showing up at a gun shop to start firing. Ever.
    It has happened and there was an extensive thread on it here a couple years ago.

Major shootout with gun store clerk using a shotgun against 2 armed robbers. I believe a Dillion 550 reloading press got wasted in the encounter. IIRC one robber was killed and one wounded. I can't recall if the store clerk was wounded or not. I also believe there was a couple patrons in the store as well.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Dang,

i stand corrected about the gun shop. Nice to know.

I am at the airport - just went through my first ticketing/TSA process with the "Unloaded Firearm" experience. I discreetly leaned forward to tell the ticketing agent I had an unloadecd firearm in my checked bag. Some nosy 14 year old kid was right next to me while his mom was getting a boarding pass. You should have seen his eyes when he tried to nonchalantly look over to see what was in my COM safe.

After the agent looked at my piece and gave me my orange tag, I had to go to a special TSA room where a couple bored TSA goobers asked for the key to unlock my COM safe, fondled Mr Kimber, and locked him back up. They then proceeded to rifle my luggage and test extensively for residue. They managed to mess up my suit and dress shirts for tomorrow's meeting. After that, they locked up my luggage and told me to have a nice day.

Hopefully, I'll meet up with Mr Kimber on the other end.

So it was a good stop! Excellent.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

It could have been a lot worse. Running a red light in Florida is now a $230 ticket and 3 points on your license.

I honestly didn't know why he pulled me over because I thought the light was changing from green to yellow. So I really didn't give off any guilty vibe as he was asking me questions. I was just straight with him and I think he appreciated that.

I think his question about my carrying every day was more of a curiosity than anything else.
    Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite neurosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Cakewalk View Post
    It could have been a lot worse. Running a red light in Florida is now a $230 ticket and 3 points on your license.

Moving from Florida was sad at first but I am very very happy that I did it. You know cause its not the same as when I was a kid.

Less and less crackers and more and more yankees.

$230 for running a red light. Wow....
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

VIP Member
    Nicely handled by both parties.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

VIP Member
    Sounds like a good encounter! Glad to hear it went so smoothly.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Good to hear.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Cakewalk View Post
    I can't even remember the last time I got pulled over for anything, but today a LEO stopped me for what he said was running a red light. I could have sworn the light was going from green to yellow, but he said it was going from yellow to red. It doesn't matter at this point. He didn't give me a ticket.

He asked me if I have any recent infractions on my drivers license, which I said no. When he asked for my license insurance and registration, I also pulled out my CWP and said "Sir, I also want to let you know that I am legally carrying a concealed weapon." He then asked me where it was and I told him - in my left pocket. He said "ok, just keep it there while I go to my car for a minute."

He came back and we discussed the situation at the light a little more, and also asked me where I was going. I told him I was just leaving work and going home. He then asked "do you always carry your gun to work?" I responded "yes sir."

He ended up just giving me a verbal warning since I had no points on my license. He then cautioned me about the area having very dangerous traffic. He also thanked me for disclosing my CCW to him. I guess it pays to be up front in certain situations.
    Manners count. I didn't have a clue why I was stopped last week. Glad to hear it worked out on the positive side.
    Courage: "Do not follow where the path may lead...go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Retired Army, Infantry
    NRA Life Member

Me:"I have a permit to carry and I am; it's behind my right hip" ( I knew I was gonna have to lean wayover to the glove box). WV State trooper:"OK". No other mention of a gun. Stop went well, warning ticket.

Stay safe.
    bob

The only places I'm perfectly comfortable without my sidearm are the range, a gun show, and the gun shop.
    A lady just shot her son, then herself at a Shoot Straight in Orlando..........Always be prepared!

Great on no ticket! Are you a tell state or no?
    CHP holder. EDC G27. I support VCDL, so glad to have them fighting for my rights.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links