Wife got outted at the DMV

This is a discussion on Wife got outted at the DMV within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, yesterday my wife and I go to renew my wife's drivers license at the DMV. In Missouri, you can either have your ccw endorsement ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wife got outted at the DMV

Wife got outted at the DMV

Well, yesterday my wife and I go to renew my wife's drivers license at the DMV.

In Missouri, you can either have your ccw endorsement shown on your drivers license or on a State issued ID card (your choice). We both have opted to have our ccw's on a separate State ID card so if we ever have to show our drivers license for cashing a check or other form of ID we aren't advertising our ccw status to every store clerk or vendor who asks for a drivers license as ID.

LEO's still receive our ccw status when running driver license info regardless if your ccw status is on the DL or the State ID card.

We both renewed our ccw in October last year and got our usual State ID card which is printed right there at the DMV while you wait.

So, now it's time to renew the wife's drivers license and she is sitting at the table waiting to do the eye test and get her picture. As the clerk is verifying that nothing has changed from her previous drivers license, she states, "You have ccw, correct?" To which the wife replies "yes." The clerk then asks, "Do you want your endorsement on your drivers license or do you want to keep it on the State ID?" To which my wife replied, "Keep it on the ID."

I suppose they must ask these questions as I just renewed my drivers license last month and a different clerk at the same DMV asked me the exact same questions. I didn't think anything of it because I was the only one in there when I did mine.

However this time there were several people waiting in line for their license. The kid who was standing next in line was a young guy around 20-22 yrs old, skinny with long unkempt hair and wearing a black leather trench coat. Not profiling here, but he looked scuzzy. Anyway, both my wife and I noticed that he got a very surprised and almost astonished look on his face when my wife stated that yes she has a ccw permit. He then looked at me, and I was standing there giving him a stern look and I can only assume that he figured I was carrying a gun too.

After a few minutes the new drivers license was printed out and we left. Going to the car, my wife and I 1/2 chuckled at the look on his face and 1/2 grunted with disgust that the clerk had to ask those questions showing no discretion what so ever.

I know there's nothing much you can do about it. All they are doing is processing the people and asking their required questions, but they also read off your address as well. Fortunately, there was no one within ear shot when the clerk verified our address. The dude in the black trench coat didn't get in line until after our address was called out.

Anyways, just thought it was an interesting story to share.

I do wish they provided for more privacy when conducting such personal business like giving out peoples address and ccw status. But getting the DMV to change the way they conduct business is kind of like getting water to flow up hill.

BTW... in Missouri these drivers license bureau's are "private contractors" with the state and it is not an official state office building so ccw inside there is not prohibited by state law. They also are not posted with any signs.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

So I can assume that the 'scuzzbag' didn't follow you two out to the car?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    But getting the DMV to change the way they conduct business is kind of like getting water to flow up hill.
    Understatement. I know ours here still won't take credit/debit/check cards. I personally NEVER carry cash or a checkbook so it is very inconvenient when I have to go to the DMV to register one of my cars or print a driving history ($2.25) for a job application. I either have to bring a check and write it for that silly amount... or pull a 20 out of an ATM. I understand they don't accept credit cards because they would have to pay for it and as a result it would cost everyone more to register, etc.

Ugh... I'm sorry a bit off topic... I used to HATE going to the DMV until I moved to Lakewood. The Jeffco DMV is much nicer and the people behind the counter don't seem like they hate to see you. Is very refreshing.

But yeah... I think they should definitely use more discretion when asking questions. Or at the very least design the line so that people have to wait like 5 feet away so it is difficult to overhear someone. LoL... scuzzy.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

I am amazed that you could carry in the DMV! My state (Georgia) assured that all governmental buildings are criminal friendly.
    Steven
    The "news media" has ceased being the watch dog of the people and has become the apologist for an irresponsible government.

I live in St. Louis and the city DMV employees are often surly and display a lot of 'tude. When I did my CCW training in Imperial, the instructor told us the Imperial DMV office was a pleasure to use. So when the time came I took an extra long lunch, drove 20 minutes downtown to the sheriff's office, 25 minutes to the Imperial DMV, and 40 minutes back to work - all told about 2 hours.

The Imperial DMV was so nice and helpful AND QUICK that I will always go there from now on. Now that I have my CCW, I don't have to do the 2 hour lunch drill anymore and can go on Saturday.
    If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you will undoubtedly have the support of Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by gaowlpoop View Post
    I am amazed that you could carry in the DMV! My state (Georgia) assured that all governmental buildings are criminal friendly.
    You may have missed what was written at the end of the post!

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    BTW... in Missouri these drivers license bureau's are "private contractors" with the state and it is not an official state office building so ccw inside there is not prohibited by state law. They also are not posted with any signs.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

well i am glad to see that my dmv is not the only one that is staff with morons.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

D.M.V. Employees all linked by D.N.A.

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    well i am glad to see that my dmv is not the only one that is staff with morons.
    My wife has a theory that all DMV employees in the world are actually related.This accounts for the "wonderful" attitude you get from all of them.
    Having said that,I have to compliment the FL D.M.V. for fast and courteous service.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

I guess there's something I don't have to worry about in Ohio, you cant carry at the BMV, they are all posted, and Ohio has separate cards.

Some newspapers in the state pick up the slack though, and out you in thier publications, anyway.

Anyway, Im guessing that the woman who took care of you just isn't conscious of discretion when it comes to that, and I find that irritating myself.

Quote Originally Posted by OMEGA2669 View Post
    Understatement. I know ours here still won't take credit/debit/check cards. I personally NEVER carry cash or a checkbook so it is very inconvenient when I have to go to the DMV to register one of my cars or print a driving history ($2.25) for a job application. I either have to bring a check and write it for that silly amount... or pull a 20 out of an ATM. I understand they don't accept credit cards because they would have to pay for it and as a result it would cost everyone more to register, etc.

Ugh... I'm sorry a bit off topic... I used to HATE going to the DMV until I moved to Lakewood. The Jeffco DMV is much nicer and the people behind the counter don't seem like they hate to see you. Is very refreshing.

But yeah... I think they should definitely use more discretion when asking questions. Or at the very least design the line so that people have to wait like 5 feet away so it is difficult to overhear someone. LoL... scuzzy.
    I hate the Va DMV. There is always a long wait, and they are now charging $5.00 extra fee to renew a vehicle registration at a DMV office instead of mailing it in or doing it online.(they take off a dollar if you renew online) It doesn't bother me that much because I'm retired and I spend a lot of time online anyhow. But there are still people who do not own a computer and many more who stop by the DMV on the way home from work. I don't like that they are charging a fee to do a job they are already being paid to do.

VIP Member
    Maybe they should talk to C.O.N.T.R.O.L. and see if they can purchase the "Cone of Silence". Shouldn't cost that much to equip every DMV clerks station at each office in the state! Or maybe they can cut off the loudspeaker that announces "Attention everyone Mr. Smith, of 9209 Smithfield Rd. is renewing his drivers license and has opted not to put his CCW endorsement on his drivers license!"

Come on, these people have a job to do. Most DMV offices are anything but quiet, so they can't whisper the questions to you. They get blamed for everything from the cost increase in vehicle registration fees to the weather being bad that day. I've seen customers complain about how long it takes to get in and out of the DMV while spending 5 minutes going through a packet of papers to find the one they need. Seems if they were in such a hurry they would have had what they needed ready for presentation. Let's not forget the 80 year old grandma who is hard of hearing and refuses to turn her hearing aid up, or the the person who's vanity won't let them wear their glasses, so they have to search for them for the eye test. Gosh, I wonder why they might develop an attitude!!

Is the system perfect? No. Is anything in life perfect? No again. Sometimes you have to accept it and go on about your business.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint77 View Post
    I guess there's something I don't have to worry about in Ohio, you cant carry at the BMV, they are all posted, and Ohio has separate cards.

Some newspapers in the state pick up the slack though, and out you in thier publications, anyway.

Anyway, Im guessing that the woman who took care of you just isn't conscious of discretion when it comes to that, and I find that irritating myself.
    wow, that would be a surprise one morning. So they will print all ccw individuals for the state in a news paper?

Crazy I tell you.
    Jp

Yeh, a little discretion by the clerks would have been nice. It doesn't cost any more to lower their voice so as not to reveal personal information to all those around. It obviously isn't important to them to announce to anyone listening that you probably have guns stored in your house which are inviting to a thief.

I hope you're right about the rented office not being considered part of the state. The office I go to on Highway 94 is posted on the inside, but if the office isn't considered state property, the sign is merely a recommendation with no weight of law unless one refuses to leave if noticed carrying.

Ya,.. . Online DMV (ServiceArizona.com) Rules,... I only have to go to DMV for title change, and if it is something I'm buying with a loan, the CU does it for me.. It has been years' sense I've had to go to the DMV... . (Praise God!)

I live in St Louis and use the DMV by Ronnies Theater. When I first got my CCW cert I just handed the document to the license gal and she asked me to confirm the address(written on the paper not read to me or by me) and if I wanted a drivers license reprint or a non driver license(I went for the non drivers license of course). She asked me to step to the photo line, then called my name when it was printed.

Very quick, very discrete, and I'm very pleased.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links