New Yorker Moving to Texas

This is a discussion on New Yorker Moving to Texas within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be moving to Texas and currently have a NY state ccw which is honored by Texas. I will maintain dual residency and have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Yorker Moving to Texas

New Yorker Moving to Texas

I will be moving to Texas and currently have a NY state ccw which is honored by Texas. I will maintain dual residency and have a question. Do I need to get a TX ccw even if they honor NY? Will cops give my ***** if they realize my guns are being carried by out of state permit? I plan on keeping my NY drivers license as well. Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

As long as you have your DL and your registration on your car in New York they should not mess with you.
    Bryan A Dreyer
    Sgt USMC/US Army
    .45 ACP

I was wondering if they offer non resident permits. Question is, how to get one..../

VIP Member
    Texas does offer non-res permits. Training must take place in Texas. Go to Handgunlaw.us for more info than you can handle.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Texas does offer non-res permits. Training must take place in Texas. Go to Handgunlaw.us for more info than you can handle.
    What if I have a certificate of handgun training from fletc....federal lasw enforcement training cnter?

VIP Member
    How will you maintain dual residency? If you're not in the military, when you start working in Tx, you are considered a Tx resident. When you rent or buy a house, etc... you are considered a resident. Once you become a resident you have 30 days to get a Tx drivers license, Tx insurance, etc... You have to be a resident for 6 months before you can get a resident CHL.

It may be to your advantage to be a Tx resident, since we have no state income tax.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skystud1 View Post
    What if I have a certificate of handgun training from fletc....federal lasw enforcement training cnter?
    I'm pretty sure you've got to take the course in Texas.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    How will you maintain dual residency? If you're not in the military, when you start working in Tx, you are considered a Tx resident. When you rent or buy a house, etc... you are considered a resident. Once you become a resident you have 30 days to get a Tx drivers license, Tx insurance, etc... You have to be a resident for 6 months before you can get a resident CHL.

It may be to your advantage to be a Tx resident, since we have no state income tax.
    Airline pilot. Not working in TX, just residing there.What if I am a legal TX resident but maintain and carry guns under NYS permit....legit?

VIP Member
    Yep, just confirmed it. Have to take the course from a DPS approved instructor, in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Yep, just confirmed it. Have to take the course from a DPS approved instructor, in Texas.
    Thanks for checking up on that!

VIP Member
    De Nada!!

Next time I fly your airline I expect an upgrade to Business class though.

I moved to Texas from New York City 20 years ago and love it here ,good luck
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

VIP Member
    Airline pilot. Not working in TX, just residing there.What if I am a legal TX resident but maintain and carry guns under NYS permit....legit?
    Not going to be allowed, once your a resident of TX your NY permit is no longer valid.

Welcome to TX!

We need all of the CHLs we can get here in Texas. Welcome! If you are a pilot will you be based out of Houston, DFW, Dallas or somewhere else? A lot of great gun stores, gun ranges, and nice folks in all these places.
    ....a politically incorrect right-wing fiscally-conservative libertarian NRA card-carrying gun-toting self-sufficient gainfully-employed Bible-believing church-going fundamentalist evangelical Christian. Perhaps you should avoid my company. I might contaminate you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links