Who doesn't TRUST the internal locks on S&W J-frames? - Page 2

Who doesn't TRUST the internal locks on S&W J-frames?

This is a discussion on Who doesn't TRUST the internal locks on S&W J-frames? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As many of you have probably already read on several internet forums, the idiot-lock on my 60-15 self-engaged when I oafishly knocked the unloaded gun ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who doesn't TRUST the internal locks on S&W J-frames?

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    As many of you have probably already read on several internet forums, the idiot-lock on my 60-15 self-engaged when I oafishly knocked the unloaded gun off a counter onto a hardwood floor. The "Gun Locked" flag got situated crossways in its slot, and I had to go to the safe, find the box, find the keys, fully lock the gun and then fully unlock it to remedy the problem.

At the time, I just felt sheepish that I'd dropped my gun and locked it up. As I thought about it, though, it occurred to me that this sort of a knocking-about is what might happen during a situation in which I might have to actually use the gun. Not good that there's a part in there that can go awry and lock the gun up.

So, I traded the gun off.

I've had Springfield Armories and a Taurus with locks onboard, and never had a problem. I think that S&W's lock is poorly designed compared to these others. Never say never, but I certainly don't intend to get another S&W revolver with the lock. (I have several without the lock, though.)

Shocking discovery

I was at the range last week and was talking with a corrections officer. He purchased a Beretta as his carry gun. I don't recall what model. He carried it 3 weeks before he took it to the range (BIG MISTAKE!!!) When his finally took it to the range for a trial run, he discovered that there was NO FIRING PIN in the gun.
    If he had to use it before he took it to the range he would have been in BIG TROUBLE. I don't understand someone with that experience not trying his gun before carrying it. I'll bet he doesn't do that again.

VIP Member
    Being as how S&W was purchased by a gun lock company go figure why they don't offer any models without a lock. Saf-T-Lok bought S&W to have a platform for their product. I think this deal was years in the making as a former S&W CEO was at Saf-T-Lok when it bought S&W.

So now you know. I haven't heard back from my friend on his catalog of lock failures. I'll post the result when he provides it.

-Scott-

The S&W locks can and DO fail. My wife's gun (j-frame LadySmith) locked up during our CCW training.

Our local gunsmith will disable the lock as soon as I can get the gun over there.

Zundfolge, if you need a S&W worked on, contact me. Jack can do most anything, but he will grumble about it a bunch first.

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79
    You could get struck by lightning if you go outside. You could die if you drink the water.
    True. I don't take walks during lightning storms though. Nor do I drive a car that I know has potentially bad brakes. You can't control freak acts of nature; you can control whether or not your defensive handgun has unnecessary extra parts which add no useful function and which have been known to fail. I prefer to control the variables that I can, and my choice of handgun definitely falls under that category.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

I am glad to see the anti-internal lock supporters have finaly surfaced cause I was catching heat all day. I really hope this upcoming gun show has some J-frames without the locks.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Ashcraft
    Zundfolge, if you need a S&W worked on, contact me. Jack can do most anything, but he will grumble about it a bunch first.
    Will do ... I'm kicking around the idea of a .44mag and if I end up with a newer S&W I'll want to disable the lock...just 'cause (although I'm only budgeting $400 so I may be buying a Taurus, or a used S&W). I stand to inherit a 686 whenever my dad passes (should be a pretty long wait) but its a pre-lock model.

So aside from accidentaly engaging, does it effect trigger pull or any other aspect of performance?

The trigger lock doesn't seem to affect the pull basically all it is is a cam arm that rotates they are easiest remove if you wish to do so but your left with the ugly hole..

unless you fill it with something .

The smith forum has a in-depth thread about removing the locks but i cant get it to come out to link it here..

OD*
    unless you fill it with something .
    I know someone that used JB Weld. Card off the excess, ta-da, a little gray dot above the cylinder release.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Scott, "Saf-T-Hammer," I believe.

http://phoenix.bizjournals.com/phoen...14/daily1.html

Quote Originally Posted by OD
    I know someone that used JB Weld. Card off the excess, ta-da, a little gray dot above the cylinder release.

That might work

I have not disabled the lock on my 642 yet, but I have been considering it more and more lately with the talk about the locks failing.
    Here's a link to a picture that highlights the part that can be ground down making the lock non-functional. http://www.thehighroad.org/attachmen...5&d=1118685571
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    --GEORGE ORWELL

Man, I really lucked out no lock on my Model 37 bought it a year ago. It is also +P rated...
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

I agree. These overrun guns are an unbelievable value.

(click thumbnail to enlarge)

VIP Member
    As requested my friend sent me the link to the failures he documented with the internal lock. His term is safety zit.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/groupee...2718#228102718

His total from S&W forum members was 5 failures.

I would say always remember what we teach in firearms classes. A gun is a mechanical device and mechanical devices break. I carry 2 guns because 2 is 1.

Erich, you're right it was Safe-T-Hammer or whatever they were before they bought S&W. Their product was a gun lock mechanism.

-Scott-

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links