Trip to Cabela's in WV

This is a discussion on Trip to Cabela's in WV within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I looked up the laws on handgunlaw.us and WV seems to be even more gun friendly than VA (you can eat in a restaraunt that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip to Cabela's in WV

Trip to Cabela's in WV

I looked up the laws on handgunlaw.us and WV seems to be even more gun friendly than VA (you can eat in a restaraunt that serves alchohol), but I didn't see (probably just overlooked it) if you had to announce your CCW to an officer if pulled over. Also, if I'm the passenger and not the driver, would I be required to tell the officer?

Also, does anyone know if the Cabela's there allows concealed carry?

Thanks.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’
    — James Earl Jones

2. Remove Ads

I go there every year in an annual deer huntn' expedition and make a trip to the place.

Always carry my pistol, noted no signs prohibiting it, most certainly there was no 'checking' that I've ever seen.

Far as I know you are not obligated to inform.........use your own best judgement in the specific circumstances you find yourself in.

While legal, open carry is seldom seen. That said, Wva's rules relative to long gun carry are somewhat diff. than Va.'s..........mostly revolving around hunting regs......particularly in vehicles and wether the gun is a 'hunting type' of firearm..........

All said, you ought to have an uneventful trip...............nice store too!!!

Hey Rev, You DO NOT have to inform LEO here in WV and Cabelas will be no problem with CCW. Most of the stores in WV are pretty gun friendly, I carry everywhere and have never actually came across a place I had to disarm other than federal and school facilities. Even carry to church and the preacher is glad I do.

Have a good trip.

Thanks for the quick replies. I am really looking forward to the trip. I've been to a couple of Bass Pro Shops, but my uncle said that this place was even better. I will happily carry on the trip. I would have hated to have had to disarm. Thanks again.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’
    — James Earl Jones

Question about tell an LEO. Once he runs your ID isn't he going to find out that you have a CCW? So in the long run wouldn't it be easier to tell the officer?

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Cabela's here in Post Falls Idaho has a sign that "All firearms must be unloaded and inspected when entering the store. Concealed Carry Permit holders are exempt"

They have a greeter at the door who will check and zip tie any long guns, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Al View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies. I am really looking forward to the trip. I've been to a couple of Bass Pro Shops, but my uncle said that this place was even better. I will happily carry on the trip. I would have hated to have had to disarm. Thanks again.

I went to Bass Pro Shops to buy a holster last weekend. I had my pistol in my pocket and asked the guy behind the gun counter if I could get it out and make sure the holster fit. He asked if it was unloaded, I said no. His eyes got big and asked for it. He then unloaded and told me the store policy is to check the gun at the front door where the greeter will put a trigger lock on it while shopping.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

The Bass Pro near Pigeon Forge had a sign in it that asked everyone to check their weapons at the counter. It upset me because I like the store so much. I was not carrying at the time, but will have to seriously think about going there if I have to disarm. Glad to hear that Cabela's is more gun-friendly.
    — James Earl Jones

Don't ever recall seeing a no carry policy at the Cabelas there. I go twice a year. Never disarmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeytown View Post
    I went to Bass Pro Shops to buy a holster last weekend. I had my pistol in my pocket and asked the guy behind the gun counter if I could get it out and make sure the holster fit. He asked if it was unloaded, I said no. His eyes got big and asked for it. He then unloaded and told me the store policy is to check the gun at the front door where the greeter will put a trigger lock on it while shopping.
    I am pretty sure he did that because unless you have a CHL, you are supposed to check your guns at the door, unloaded and they trigger lock em. When I go to the range at ours, I check every gun I plan on shooting, even my daily carry. If I didn't plan on shooting it, I wouldn't check it, but I also wouldn't take it out of the holster the entire time.

If a retailer sells gun than more than likely you can carry in their store. Any retail store that prohibits OC or CC would loose gun business and they don't want that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hattrick0313 View Post
    Question about tell an LEO. Once he runs your ID isn't he going to find out that you have a CCW? So in the long run wouldn't it be easier to tell the officer?
    Good question. I haven't been pulled over since carrying so I don't know.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Cabelas in Owatonna, Mn. has the same sign saying conceal carry permit holders are ok to carry. I live 2 miles from it and go in 2-3 times a week and carry every time. Took my class for concealed carry there.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeytown View Post
    Welcome to the DC forum. As you are a new member here, I hope you are open minded to members suggestions and insight.

In you post, you stated that you went into BPS to buy a holster, so you knew in advance you may need to check the fit to your gun. The gun should have been unloaded, and cased prior to leaving you vehicle.

While CCWing you should never ever fiddle with the gun. It stays in the holster until a threatening situation would require you to deploy it.

Would you think it to be appropriate for a customer to bring in a 12ga. pump shotgun loaded, and while in the store unload it???

Now you also had to let a strange person handle you loaded CCW weapon not knowing their familiarity with you weapon, a ripe situation for a AD.

Glad to have you as a fellow member, and please leave the weapon always in the holster.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

VIP Member
    SleepingZ. Good advice. It keeps the rest of us on our toes as well. Thank You.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links