Left Handed Issues?

Left Handed Issues?

This is a discussion on Left Handed Issues? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any other fellow southpaws have any carry issues? While wearing OWB on my way to the range, I noticed getting into my Civic that the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left Handed Issues?

Left Handed Issues?

Any other fellow southpaws have any carry issues?

While wearing OWB on my way to the range, I noticed getting into my Civic that the gun/holster caught on the seat as I got in. Guess I should drive my truck when carrying LOL.

Anyone else run into anything? How did you solve or work around it?

Thanks
    Dave

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I carry both left and right, so I feel ya on that. Most of the time I just change something simple like a minor turn when getting in and out of cars. Or learning to twist or lean a little more and I have no problem. The only major problem I have is weapons designed for right handed users. Why is the safety only operable with the right hand? Why is the mag release completely out of reach in a left handed user.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I've adapted pretty well with my USP on the slide lock and the decocker, don't really see the need to buy the kit to move the decock to the other side. My Taurus pt99 has the ambi safety and is no problem either. I have noticed picking up a new pistol, I have to really think about where things are though.

I'm left handed, and like what ahs been mentioned before, us left handers have to do some adjusting. With trainig and practice, I have found that I can operate the controls, reload and fire without too much problem. I do base my purchases on how the gun feels, and where the controls are though. I don't have any pistols with the thumb safeties though. I don't like that safety hanging out there to be accidently swiped to the off position. There are many pistols that are great for left handed users, find a good holster, train and practice. It will come naturally.

Cool beans, just got an email back from the SO, have an appt for prints and photo next week, and they said "Your permit will be issued exactly 90 days after your application was made." so that means I should have it June 1.

This is an interesting discussion. I am left handed, and learned to shoot early in life - at about 13 years old with my dad's Colt 1911. I pretty much just did what I saw my dad do, so I naturally shot his gun right handed. Throughout the years I never gave it much of a thought that it just seemed quite natural to shoot this way even though I am left handed. Then later in life I realized I was right eye dominant which explains why it was so natural I guess. It actually feels strange to shoot otherwise, even though for other things I use my left hand.

Interesting point, I am left eye dominant. Most things I can do with either hand, but do them better with the left.
    NRA Life Member.
    H&K USP Compact .40
    Among others.

When I was a kid I was a leftie, but as parents did 55 years ago they made me use my right hand.... Now as a result I am fully ambidextrous, which is messed up because I can write neater left handed....
    But at the range it is fun time with both hands so I carry on which ever side is most convienant....
    A shoulder rig could help I have noticed a good leather rig works well on either side, although I prefer the pancake for every day....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I carry IWB behind my left hip and I don't believe that my left handedness screws with my with my carry. Guns on the other hand have been discriminating against us for ages. Though I have adapted and am able to shoot leftie just fine. I just have to throw an ambi safety here and there.
    Kimber Pro Carry II
    SIG Sauer P229, 238, Mosquito
    Beretta 92FS
    Custom STI 1911
    Glock 17 Gen 3
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Yea, I know what you mean. I have this problem when driving our extra car. I don't have a problem with my pickup or my wifes suv. I've been trying to carry at the 9 or 10 o'clock position and it helps, but it takes some getting used to.

I'm a lefty too, but ambidextrous for the same reason as Sheldon J. I shoot with either hand,both hands, one handed, or no hands...lol...ok joking there about the no hands. I usually carry and shoot right handed but it is important to be able to shoot with either hand,single handed or with a two hand grip. You never know what can happen. Currently my right arm is practically useless so I've been carrying on the left, haven't had any problems though.

Distinguished Member
    Know exactly where you are coming from!!!

Holster, magazine releases, safeties, knives, long guns, it's always a challenge. (us lefties can over come many things)

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

3 different LF holsters

I have an Alessi CQS, a similair Bullman LF for my HKSK .40 and Alessi CQS carrying the 10 year old HK compact .45. No problems and also no problems with the seat belt snap with holster on right side, a plus. I was fortunate to have Lou send me the holsters in this January, some of his last masterpiece work. Albert Einstien was left handed!!
    "Politicians and Bureaucrats, depend very much on the complicity of their victims, and like criminals, are flummoxed when we don't play the victim role."

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDave View Post
    I've adapted pretty well with my USP on the slide lock and the decocker, don't really see the need to buy the kit to move the decock to the other side.
    You don't need a kit; you just need the part You can do the install yourself too; it's kind of a pain, but it's definitely doable, and shouldn't be too bad if you know what you're doing (I didn't).
    HK .45C
    HK P2000SK 9mm LEM

Any questions?

I'm also a true lefty. Left hand, left eye the whole shebang. Can't buy a holster off the shelf so you have to buy good ones- not a bad deal. Really, after a lifetime of adapting to all kinds of hand tools and machines made for the "other guys", carrying and shooting left handed is hardly a blip on the radar. I too pick my guns based on how well I can reach the controls. Remember only lefties are in their right mind!
    I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate.

I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links