SA or paranoia

This is a discussion on SA or paranoia within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have to wonder with all this talk about SA and reading story's about what happened to me if SA is really being paranoid or ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SA or paranoia

SA or paranoia

I have to wonder with all this talk about SA and reading story's about what happened to me if SA is really being paranoid or do some people just take it to far?

I think back to some of my thoughts a few years ago when a couple of my coworkers hiked out of the Montana Mountains after being in a plane crash that killed 3 and left the other two burned, beat up and one with a broken back. These two went through hell only to come down off the mountain and have the first couple cars drive by them. Why well I am sure they looked scary, they just survived something they should not have, spent 48 hours in the woods badly beat up and in true Forester fashion hiked it out.

So I read story's on here about this bum or whoever coming up to me and I did not let him say anything and told him to get away. Or I gave him my look of death which made him run the other way. When I read these I have to ask are we really that paranoid that everyone is out to get us? What if it is a bum but they need help, are we so above them that we can not help? I told myself that I would never leave someone standing on the side of the road that needed help and I will at least listen to someones request before I pass judgment. I'm not saying we have to put ourselves at risk but how about at least be human.

2. Remove Ads

jfl
    Don't judge a group by a few events.

There is a difference between a person in the middle of nowhere in bad shape, and the bum who tries to scare you of a few bucks in the Wal-Mart parking lot or at the gas station.
    I usually stop when I see what looks like a bona fide emergency - especially if my wife is with me, she can cover me, but I will not be very nice to the guy who tries to scare me with a hand in his pocket, asking for a buck or two.

That is what SA is about; being able to make the difference ...
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

There are a lot of giveaways for BS. For example, nearly all panhandlers have a very practiced routine. No normal person begging for the first time would be so practiced. Similarly, no normal person would go through the effort of finding cardboard and a marker to make a sign. A camping style backpack in the city suggests someone has been at it for a while.

I agree that it's important to help people who are in genuine distress, but most of the people who ask for help are just bums.

Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    I think back to some of my thoughts a few years ago when a couple of my coworkers hiked out of the Montana Mountains after being in a plane crash that killed 3 and left the other two burned, beat up and one with a broken back. These two went through hell only to come down off the mountain and have the first couple cars drive by them. Why well I am sure they looked scary, they just survived something they should not have, spent 48 hours in the woods badly beat up and in true Forester fashion hiked it out.
    About a mile from my house in a very tony neighborhood, and young man appeared at a retired couples' elegant home and said he needed help. He was disheveled, dirty, and had blood on him. He looked like he had been in a terrible fight.

The kindly 67 year old dude opened to door to him. The "needy young man" attacked the husband and nearly killed him. Then, he chased the woman out into her own back yard, sexually assaulted her, and beat her. The neighbors finally realized something was wrong, but had to watch impotently from a distance dialing 911 as she was being attacked.

Luckily, the couple miraculously survived the brutal and unannouced attack.

This was one of the seminal events that finally caused me to get handguns for the house and a CHP for me and the missus.

It's sadly a new world out there. The BTK Killer (Google the guy if you don't remember) told a woman of the house he was the telephone repairman before he beat and strangled her after she let him in to "fix her phone".

We don't care if the Mormon Tabernacle Choir shows up on the doorstep asking for a drink of water. We're calling 911 and letting the local LEOs buy them a drink while we stay inside, locked and loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    About a mile from my house in a very tony neighborhood, and young man appeared at a retired couples' elegant home and said he needed help. He was disheveled, dirty, and had blood on him. He looked like he had been in a terrible fight.

The kindly 67 year old dude opened to door to him. The "needy young man" attacked the husband and nearly killed him. Then, he chased the woman out into her own back yard, sexually assaulted her, and beat her. The neighbors finally realized something was wrong, but had to watch impotently from a distance dialing 911 as she was being attacked.

Luckily, the couple miraculously survived the brutal and unannouced attack.

This was one of the seminal events that finally caused me to get handguns for the house and a CHP for me and the missus.

It's sadly a new world out there. The BTK Killer (Google the guy if you don't remember) told a woman of the house he was the telephone repairman before he beat and strangled her after she let him in to "fix her phone".

We don't care if the Mormon Tabernacle Choir shows up on the doorstep asking for a drink of water. We're calling 911 and letting the local LEOs buy them a drink while we stay inside, locked and loaded.
    Not trying to start a fight but you could get your point across without referencing religion just because the OP is from Utah. Don't think it was really necessary.......

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
    Not trying to start a fight but you could get your point across without referencing religion just because the OP is from Utah. Don't think it was really necessary.......
    Dude,

I noticed that and used the MTC as an example of exemplary citizens. I wasn't referencing the religion as much as the saintly behavior of the membership. How would that be perceived as pejorative? In fact, I'm sitting about half a mile from the Temple in SLC as I type this, bucko.

As the saying around here goes, "Lighten up, Francis..."

I think that the OP makes a very good point. If the shoe fits. Being aware is one thing being paranoid and anti-social is another. Just something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    SNIP......

Thats the answer right there. In this day and age it is wise to call 911. You have to weigh the situation but if the actor is ambulatory he can wait until help arrives. Too many get lulled into a false sense of security. I actually didn't notice the OPs locale but point taken: MTC, Harlem Boys Choir, Boy/Girl Scout, Mother Teresa, etc... if responding to the contact initiated by the actor puts you/yours in a vulnerable spot offer to call 911 to help them. If they refuse then you must weigh whether you need to call and report it as suspicious. Remember, your best weapon is between your ears.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

VIP Member

SA or paranoia

What does SA in this context mean?

Cool

I agree with some others here. Paranoia runs rampant on this board.

Each person has to choose their own level of "paranoia". That point where they believe that they and their loved ones are protected and safe from the evil in the world.
    I don't believe any two people on here will agree completely on the others security measures. It comes down to environment and what that person has seen and lived through.
    My security measures may seem paranoid to some, and inadequate to others. But it's what I choose, and what I feel safe with.
    This forum is full of great information and I have changed many of my security measures and plans because of all the great information on here.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    What does SA in this context mean?
    SA = Situational Awareness
    I carry a bible and a gun. Your Point?

Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")

Quote Originally Posted by BradyM77 View Post
    Each person has to choose their own level of "paranoia". That point where they believe that they and their loved ones are protected and safe from the evil in the world.
    I don't believe any two people on here will agree completely on the others security measures. It comes down to environment and what that person has seen and lived through.
    My security measures may seem paranoid to some, and inadequate to others. But it's what I choose, and what I feel safe with.
    This forum is full of great information and I have changed many of my security measures and plans because of all the great information on here.
    I have to agree with you Brady. Paranoia is not an exact scale of measurement. To me a person who feels the need to carry a high power rifle every time they walk into the woods is paranoid, but for others this is just a safety precaution.
    Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed. -Winston Churchill-

VIP Member
    Well for me if the choice is between Springfield Armory and paranoia I choose SA. :)
    Last edited by atctimmy; April 17th, 2009 at 12:10 AM.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Being suspicious of those around you is called staying in 'condition yellow', not being paranoid.

Judging the situation you may find yourself in has no specific rules or guidelines...every stiuation has to be judged on its own merits and 'feelings'...listen to your gut. Error on the side of caution.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links