How long you have had your permit?

How long you have had your permit?

This is a discussion on How long you have had your permit? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Based on a random hypothetical instance where one of us would be required to use a carry firearm for protection of ourselves/family/others, will the length ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How long you have had your permit?

Question How long you have had your permit?

Based on a random hypothetical instance where one of us would be required to use a carry firearm for protection of ourselves/family/others, will the length of time you have been permited make any differnce to the police/prosecutor or others who are investigating the incident?

I don't really want this to get into who the gun was used for or where or when it happened etc. Simply is it going to make a difference if you have had a permit for say 20-30 years as some here have and have never been involved in any display or use of force in the past. Or if you have had your license for 2 months and all the sudden are involved in a use of force scenario.

Don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting that if a new permit holder has to use his weapon that they should be looked at any different than a long time permit holder. My personal feeling is that if you make a good choice when you are defending a life, it doesn't matter, but then again I don't get to judge all this stuff.

Will it be a benefit for your defense or your lawyers explanation in the investigation that you have been a long time permit holder and have shown restraint in use of force all these year? That no your not a newly licensed gun toting vigilante.

I personally think it will make a difference in many states and in many instances.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

in some states more than others probably, but I can see how some DAs would use this

I can see a defense Attny using this rationale for someone that has a permit for a number of years (or someone that doesn't have a permit but has had firearms for a number of years);
    prosecutor tries to paint shooter as a vigilante, out for blood, etc, and they can show that he's owned firearms for 20 years and never shot anybody, been involved in any situation with any of his firearms

for someone that has just got their permit I could see some anti DA using the line "they get this permit, now they think they can just go shooting"...the defense Attny will have to bring up the training they had and that they followed the law, etc
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member
    Shouldn't make ant difference, but I'm sure a DA is going to look harder at someone who got their permit yesterday and used a gun today, versus someone who have had a permit for 10-12 years and just used it. Is it right? No, but it happens all the time. Just like a teenage driver who just got his license is going to get looked at harder than the guy who is 30 and has a clean driving record.

Got my permit, finally, in Nov. 2008. Had put it off for a long time with really no good reasons, but made the decision due to the fact that if I needed, I can carry legally with the permit. Also, just sent off my application for the NH Non-Resident permit. My wife also wants to get her WV permit and is waiting for notification of the next class.

Would I have used the weapon upon recieving my permit? Why wouldn't I, if the situation arose that it was needed? Why does having a permit for 1 day or 20+ years make any difference when using it in self-defense? Anything could be used against you, but they have to PROVE it in a court of law. Doubt seriously that if a person took the time to train, hop through all the hoops to get it, then that would be a strike against those who think permit holders just want to shoot everyone the moment they get it. We just wouldn't take the time to do it right now would we?

Besides, it doesn't necessarily need to be a concealed hand-gun, one can kill or maim just as easily with a knife, and you may need a permit to conceal one of those too. Just some of my own thoughts and 2 cents worth.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Shouldn't make ant difference, but I'm sure a DA is going to look harder at someone who got their permit yesterday and used a gun today, versus someone who have had a permit for 10-12 years and just used it. Is it right? No, but it happens all the time. Just like a teenage driver who just got his license is going to get looked at harder than the guy who is 30 and has a clean driving record.
    This one is certainly right on target. I recall when I had a windshield replaced and on the way home I was struck by another road rock that split the new window.

I've heard of many stories of new permit holders that said they’re actually more careful to avoid conformational situations, more polite towards others, stopped flipping people off in traffic, etc.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Mine is still coming soon.

Farron,

That is a great post! I agree w/all of it.

It shouldn't matter but I'm afraid it might.

I'm sure that if someone w/a permit for just a month or two gets into a jam, some over zealous ADA or plaintiff's attorney will ride that fact for all it's worth; like: "he got his permit & went looking for trouble right off the bat."
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Lead Moderator
    Got my state permit in 95.
    Got my universal good in all states permit in 2000.
    I want to have a job where the is no accountability,a job where I can do as I dang well please and make my own laws and act like a KING. I want to be on the Supreme Court.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

wj
    I have had my State License for 12 years. I would hope NOT to look like a "blood thirsty and anxious to use it" person. As our society changes I am not too sure. What is an UNIVERSAL - GOOD IN ALL STATES?

With all factors weighted equally in the proposed incident it could swing both ways based on a lot of other variables. Unlike a drivers licenses most don't get them at the earliest opportunity. Some states have more experience with concealed carry and the case law to back it up and in fact some have matured their law due to just the kind of subjectivity we in the RTKBA community are always scrutinized under. So, if you are 50 in FL and just get your permit/license and were quickly in the "incident" it probably would be a more objective call from the LEA/DA whereas in a state like California it may be less objective. I don't mean to pick on Cali but it's just one of the states that I know where they have them but not ubiquitously and are very finicky.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Quote Originally Posted by wj View Post
    I have had my State License for 12 years. I would hope NOT to look like a "blood thirsty and anxious to use it" person. As our society changes I am not too sure. What is an UNIVERSAL - GOOD IN ALL STATES?
    Universal, meaning he falls under LEOSA, or is law enforcment and doesn't really need a permit any longer.

Hotguns, you didn't really answer the question though? You probably read it too quickly, and now that I reread, it agree that I should have worded it differently.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Moderator
    I've had my CCW permit for over 8 years.
    I don't think that the length of time one has the permit will have much to do with a court case. It will be the incident itself and how you control what you say...

Keep in mind identical incidents will be viewed very differently in different states.

And...
    A rapist shot with his pants down in IL could still be a problem.

A shed thief in TX...no problem.

Stay armed...know your state laws...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Lead Moderator
    Universal, meaning he falls under LEOSA, or is law enforcment and doesn't really need a permit any longer.
    That is correct, but I maintain my state because I am an instructor.

Hotguns, you didn't really answer the question though? You probably read it too quickly, and now that I reread, it agree that I should have worded it differently.
    Nah I read it, I just answered the title.

Really, I don't think the length of having a permit should come into play. I know that its entirely dependent on the attitude of your prosecutors though. What is not an issue here, may be an issue somewhere else.

I can say that two people that have got their permits from me were involved in shoots. Both of them were ruled justifiable. Neither one had an issue with the length of the permit, it wasn't even asked. Both shoots were obvious, meaning that the Prosecutor reviewed the circumstances and neither shooter was charged. One spent a few hours in jail while they were sorting things out, the other filer a report from his house, with the Sheriff sitting in his kitchen.

Really though, it would be determined by the local guys and how they viewed self defense. Time of ownership of permit might be an issue or it might not.
    I want to have a job where the is no accountability,a job where I can do as I dang well please and make my own laws and act like a KING. I want to be on the Supreme Court.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post

Will it be a benefit for your defense or your lawyers explanation in the investigation that you have been a long time permit holder and have shown restraint in use of force all these year? That no your not a newly licensed gun toting vigilante.

I personally think it will make a difference in many states and in many instances.
    I agree, your track record would come into play and make a difference in your defense.
    Received my LTC in the mid 80's, never drawn my weapon.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

11 years +. Never had to draw also.
    The Dragon has time and experience. Maturity has given him knowledge, strength, skill, wisdom and inner peace.
    Glock 26 Certified Glock Armorer
    Mossberg 590 12 ga.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links