Another issue with the security guard at the rest stop

This is a discussion on Another issue with the security guard at the rest stop within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK so some of you may remember the post I made about the security guard at the rest stop saying I couldn't carry into the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another issue with the security guard at the rest stop

Another issue with the security guard at the rest stop

OK so some of you may remember the post I made about the security guard at the rest stop saying I couldn't carry into the rest stop. Well since then i've made sure to always be CCing instead of OCing. Well lastnight I went in and as i was coming out he said "Hey buddy you dont have that weapon on you do ya?" I hesitated a second then i just shook my head and walked out. Now I'm pretty sure I dont have any legal obligation to tell him that I am carring but what if he asks me to remove my jacket next time? What kind of trouble would this lead too. I've been going to this rest stop for 2 years without carring and never had an issue but that was only because I didn't have my permit. Since I have it I feel safer with it because on average it's 9 or 10 at night when I stop there. Not to mention the security guard is old as dirt and unarmed at that. I really dont think i'd want him to be my first line of defense....

So suggestions? opinions? What would be a better response than just shaking my head? etc...

2. Remove Ads

I'd say you have no ideal what he's talking about. Concealed means concealed. A real LEO is the only one who has the right to search you.

Find a different Rest Stop.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by fox2102 View Post
    OK so some of you may remember the post I made about the security guard at the rest stop saying I couldn't carry into the rest stop. Well since then i've made sure to always be CCing instead of OCing. Well lastnight I went in and as i was coming out he said "Hey buddy you dont have that weapon on you do ya?" I hesitated a second then i just shook my head and walked out. Now I'm pretty sure I dont have any legal obligation to tell him that I am carring but what if he asks me to remove my jacket next time? What kind of trouble would this lead too. I've been going to this rest stop for 2 years without carring and never had an issue but that was only because I didn't have my permit. Since I have it I feel safer with it because on average it's 9 or 10 at night when I stop there. Not to mention the security guard is old as dirt and unarmed at that. I really dont think i'd want him to be my first line of defense....

So suggestions? opinions? What would be a better response than just shaking my head? etc...
    Not familiar with the earlier post but If it is not illegal, I think I might call the agency which runs the rest stop and ask them to cease and desist. In Fl it is not illegal. ETA: Even though they are posted no guns it is not one of the statutorily prohibited places.

A good story I had here in FL. My brother and I were traveling from north FL back home to central FL when we pulled into a rest stop. We were going to have a cigar and get off the road for a few. I went out to the area where the picnic tables where just to check the area out since it was dark and there was no direct light. As I came back to the main bldg area there was a barrier up. So, I was able to enter the picnic area from the parking lot but they had blocked the side walk leading there. As I began to go around the barrier back into the main lighted area a maintenance person scowled at me. I politely told him of "their" conundrum. While talking to him a female security guard came up. So, I explained that I wanted to smoke and the maintenance guys said to light up right there. I explained it was bad manners and likely illegal. The guard had explained that the barrier was a safety thing... I asked her to come aside and explained I had taken my safety as my responsibility and that I was armed. She said "well go for it then, you can defend yourself better than I can, I'm not even armed!" We enjoyed the smokes.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

I'm not familiar with AL... are rest stops owned and operated by the State DOT there? Is there a law regarding State facilities? I'm very curious.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Hes probably jealous cause all he has is a whistle and a flashlight lol. Next time ask him what he will do if any bg's come? will he "shine" them and save the day lol.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Why do you keep frequenting rest stops?

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    Why do you keep frequenting rest stops?
    duh!
    Save a Greyhound. Adopt one.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    anyone who frequents a rest stop is suspect in my book.

I go to Home Depot's, Sportsman's warehouses, and even Walmarts. Rest stops and convenient stores are riddled with cooties.

Edit:
    Agree with Retsupt below. Say nothing that admits or denies. Also, I don't know what the law is in your area and don't encourage breaking the law.

as i was coming out he said "Hey buddy you dont have that weapon on you do ya?"
    Sounds to me like he was making a pass at ya. Movie Full Metal Jacket, "This is my weapon, this is my gun!"
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

I would only make eye contact, nod politely, and continue on my way. He has no authority over you...do you business and be on your way.
    I would not engage him in ANY conversation.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

HAHA the reason I stop so frequently at this rest stop is because it's only 1 of 2 on my 2 hour trip to and from work/school.

The state law says the only place I cannot carry is at a public demonstration where touchy subjects are being discussed. Now weather or not the rest area's are state controled I do not know for sure but I would assume yes since the people who work there are state employees.

I would just not stop there but the way this interstate is laid out there are only a few other stops that I can get too without going through this huge issue of merging onto other highways and what not. Most of the easier to get to stops are way down the road and hey when you got to go you got to go.

I dunno I think i'm going to ask the attourney general or something to get it in writing. I really dont want this old guy to call a LEO to come deal with the situation. I know the LEO couldn't lawfully do anything but it would be a great aggrivation.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I would only make eye contact, nod politely, and continue on my way. He has no authority over you...do you business and be on your way.
    I would not engage him in ANY conversation.
    That's what I've been doing. I just nod on my way in and on my way out. He's the one that engaged me this time.

That's what I've been doing. I just nod on my way in and on my way out. He's the one that engaged me this time.
    Sounds like this 'bored' individual recognizes you and is looking for something to do.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    a public demonstration where touchy subjects are being discussed
    I can't help it.

My interpretation is a rest stop would qualify as "a public demonstration of a touchy subject." But, if you don't "discuss" your weapon then you should be legal.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Before I finished reading all of the posts, I went to handgunlaw.us and looked up Alabama. As the OP stated, CCing at rest stops is perfectly legal. Not that I doubted you, fox2102. I agree with everyone else. He doesn't need to know your armed.

But if he keeps asking about that, you could take the opportunity to have a polite conversation about the issue. I have heard more than one story about LEOs that didn't fully understand CC laws. How much more training about the law can we expect a security guard to have? I don't mean to be condescending towards security guards. I'm sure many of them are knowledgable and professional.

Ask this guy why he is so concerned about you being armed. If he thinks it's illegal, hand him a printout of the state laws. You could look at his questions as an annoyance, inconveinance or an intrusion. Or you could look it at an opportunity to educate someone. Just a thought.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links