Poll: Teacher's carrying

This is a discussion on Poll: Teacher's carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That posting this poll here is kind of like posting a poll at a AAA meeting on who would like a drink.......

View Poll Results: Should teachers be allowed to carry at school?

Voters
349. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, anytime, anywhere

313 89.68%
  • Yes, at college/university level only

8 2.29%
  • Yes, at high school level or above

15 4.30%
  • Yes, at jr high level or above (not elementary)

9 2.58%
  • Yes, but only outside of school hours (no kids around)

1 0.29%
  • NO. Too tricky. Teachers don't want the liability.

3 0.86%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Poll: Teacher's carrying

Talking You do know...

That posting this poll here is kind of like posting a poll at a AAA meeting on who would like a drink....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

2. Remove Ads

Yes, and I like the way you positioned your question with “allowed”. I think teachers should be allowed to carry but not required.

And if they opt to carry the local sheriff’s department should give them a class in handgun safety, marksmanship, and a basic course in H2H, and other non-lethal alternatives.

For safety reasons, video monitors should be installed in all classrooms and hallways, and metal detectors at all student entrances.

I would say any time any where but can't because I have one additional condition to whatever the state's laws would be for a concealed carry holder.

I would want the teachers that were licensed to take some additional instruction on retention for one. If word got out that a teacher was carrying especially in some schools where there are severe discipline problems at the high school grades, the teachers life along with the other students lives might very well be in danger if the teacher isn't trained well.

I would also want it carried on their person. No handbags or other off body means.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Teachers should be allowed to carry in schools, however it should be in a very controlled manner. I remember reading some articles that showed guns that could only be fired with a micro chip present, in a watch the shooter was wearing. I feel they should use something like this especially in the high school level. I remember in high school we had several fights where teachers were over powered, this would be a great way of controlling the firearms should it be taken from the teacher. Also, extensive background checks and mental analysis should be performed on the teacher because lets face it our teachers aren't perfect. Furthermore the type of ammo used should be thoroughly considered... i.e. make sure once the ammo is fired into a perp. it does not have a tendency to exit the body decreasing the chances for collateral damage.

Thats just my opinion...

Precision,

I was going to reply, but it became far to long. To answer most of what you stated in reply to my post, my issue is:

Teachers in K- 12 have a different (legal) responsibility then a college professor.

Given the liabilities involved, I can understand why a public school system would create a policy preventing CC by teachers who are untrained. I would require marksman level of accuracy, tactical training, review of legal issues, and testing.

Schools are required by law to provide a safe environment, so if the threat is real, then concerning tax funds, I'm not an expert concerning taxes, but I guess it would have to come from fewer teachers, text books, AC, teacher wages, etc.

Sorry I can't agree with the majority. IMO, there are many issues to consider, and again, I really think the whole school shooting concern in media driven hype. Other factors beyond firearms are at play.

And as unpopular as it my be, I'm not really sure how I feel about a CC permit holder carrying a CC inside a school. I have reservations.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I'm all for it!
    Maybe, this would scare all the inept libtard teachers to leave education and seek jobs elsewhere. (CNN, MSNBC etc)

Yes,
    But,
    Teachers are in a position of power and control, much like Law Enforcement, therefore they should be given the same psychological evaluation as LE in that State and reevaluated at least yearly. They should also be required to have a high level of training. The last thing needed is a teacher going psycho in a target rich environment or causing collateral damage.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    I'm all for it!
    Maybe, this would scare all the inept libtard teachers to leave education and seek jobs elsewhere. (CNN, MSNBC etc)
    Grow up!

Proud liberal teacher

Quote Originally Posted by 86thecat View Post
    Yes,
    The last thing needed is a teacher going psycho in a target rich environment or causing collateral damage.
    '

if something like that was going to happen, it could happen right now...
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by joffe View Post
    Let the schools decide. Not the legislature. It is no business of the legislature to decide what free people do as long as they're not harming anyone.
    +1 but if they're carrying I would highly recommend a course or some instruction on Basic Executive Protection. Covering the protectee(student), transition shooting while moving with protectee etc. LAst thing you want is an armed teacher who has no idea how to handle a situation like that. just my .02
    The sheepdog is both blessed and cursed with the capacity for violence, and a profound love for the flock. This is what makes the warrior different from the wolf.
    -Dave Grossman

Quote Originally Posted by Protect_All View Post
    +1 but if they're carrying I would highly recommend a course or some instruction on Basic Executive Protection. Covering the protectee(student), transition shooting while moving with protectee etc. Last thing you want is an armed teacher who has no idea how to handle a situation like that. just my .02
    I too think that the firearms must be carried on person only. To easy to remove it from a desk draw or out of a purse. I would have not problem as a parent letting my childrens teachers carry after taking advance protection class and not just a fluff ccw class. Something along the lines of FAMS. Think about it, in FAMS in is in a confined space with a possible multi-person attack, where shot placement is important and dont want the over penetration.

Now as a former student I know that all teachers should NOT be carrying a firearm. I had teachers who should not have been teaching they had mental problems worse than any student.

Anyplace Anytime from Elementry to College. My wife being on the PTA addressed a problem with the school board that on days that there are elections/ polling are to be held in the school the student should not be in attendence. To many people to much access to safeguard the kids.

VIP Member
    I think they should be able to, and I think they should have training for scenarios they would encounter in a school setting. Definitely need to be concealed on body too.
    As for the option of only certain grade levels, etc.....why should a 3rd grade teacher require any more or less training than a 8th grade teacher? they all should have all the training
    why set limits on which schools/areas we think might get into trouble/attacked over some other school/area? Thats the same mindset thats being used now (gun-free zones), all grade levels should have the choice.
    I know my wife would have her G26 on her right now at the college if she could. Also both of my sis-in-laws, and a bunch of my friends.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Many of the students may, why not the teachers?

If a BG comes in blazing most of the kids will freeze or drop, why not allow the adult (protector) in the room have a level playing field?

Let them carry, but I'd have a rule that says no purse or briefcase carry so there is NO chance it could get taken by a student.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Yes anytime anywhere.

I whole heartedly agree they can carry but it has got be on their person no bags or desk.
    ."..and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." — Jesus Christ, Luke 22:36 NKJV

“Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.”
    Plato

I am a teacher and I carry at all times except at school or when traveling to/from school.

Teachers should be able to carry. But, we should also have specialized classes that deal directly with the situations in which a teacher would need a weapon at school. Most likely this would a situation with MANY non-threats. I would think a markmanship requirement would be resonable. Also, techniques on preventing disarmament, simply because of the nature of children not understanding the results if they were to take a teacher's gun.

But, as a general rule...yes, we should be able to carry. Not only to protect ourselves, but to protect those whom are entrusted within our care.
    S&W 625
    Glock 21
    Glock 30

This is my glock. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links