GMU Patriot Center Carry, would you?

This is a discussion on GMU Patriot Center Carry, would you? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Their website says: Prohibited items: Bottles, cans, hard containers and alcoholic beverages, along with weapons of any kind are prohibited from being brought into the ...

Thread: GMU Patriot Center Carry, would you?

Their website says:

Prohibited items: Bottles, cans, hard containers and alcoholic beverages, along with weapons of any kind are prohibited from being brought into the arena. Patriot Center reserves the right to require patrons to submit to a search as required to enforce this policy.

I have never seen a security "pat down" there before. Would knowingly entering the building with a weapon automatically constitute trespassing? It is not against the university's policy, but the Patriot Center may be considered seperate.

It's for the Ringling Bros. circus tonight, btw. So, would you??

Thanks guys!

Too late! Off to the circus, with company.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Wish him well... they've got those scary clowns there!
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

VIP Member
    If it is school property, I wish him well.

VIP Member
    Based on your occupation, I believe you’re taking a bit of a risk. Sure, you’ll likely just fly through undetected and besides: if you actually had to use it, then so be it. Still, Murphy’s Law seems to coincide with the letter of law when we least expect it.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    It is on school property.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    May need to have your attorney on speed-dial.
    NRA Life Member

How is that even a question if its on school property?

Are you trying to push your luck?
    NRA Member

If it doesn't go well, please give us the details.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I think they need to rename the PATRIOT center something else if they maintain a no weapons policy.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    "Schools" with respect to Virginia weapons laws (and I believe this is a rather common definition) mean public, private, and religious elementary, middle, and secondary schools. The one VA college off-limits by law is Virginia Commonwealth University. If you're a student or staff at any Virginia college (except Blue Ridge Community College), you can and most likely will be expelled/fired if discovered, but it isn't a 'law' thing with respect to the "school" status.

Nor does the "private property owner" clause (18.2-308.O) apply: in a GMU memo promoting as restrictive a weapons policy as possible, it was specifically mentioned that they could not use this because they're not private property. The memo also stated that the enforcement of the proposed policy would be a successful conviction on a trespassing charge. But I also found this intriguing quote:
    The Attorney General has opined that Universities “may not impose a general prohibition on carrying of concealed weapons by permitted individuals” but may limit “persons attending events on campus, visiting dormitories or classroom buildings, attending specific events as invitees.” Opinion to The Honorable R. Creigh Deeds of January 4, 2006.
    Their governing body, of course, did adopt the restrictive policy.

Sigh.

I few years ago I went to a local fair type event. It had a sign of prohibited items. Unfortunately one of the prohibited items was "firearms."

Had I been a CCW permitee at the time and ignored that rule I would have been in trouble. They were "wanding" everyone with a hand held metal detector. Not a good thing from my point of view.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Lions, Tigers, and Bears Oh MY! I don't think I'd go without my tools.
    Here's how it could play out:
    1. You carry anyway. Nothing happens and you enjoy a fine evening at the circus(assuming of course the elephants don't get p!$$ed and trample the crowd, the Tigers don't get p!$$ed and try to eat the trainers, and the sky doesn't fall on the trapeze artist.
    2. You Carry anyway. Something happens, you defend yourself, and end up defending yourself with a lot of money and time in court and MAYBE end up in jail
    3. You Decided NOT to carry. Something happens like a loose tiger eats child, child gets kidnapped, wife gets raped, you die...etc... etc... the list goes on. 3 days later you drink yourself to death.

Get the picture?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Lions, Tigers, and Bears Oh MY! I don't think I'd go without my tools.
    Here's how it could play out:
    1. You carry anyway. Nothing happens and you enjoy a fine evening at the circus(assuming of course the elephants don't get p!$$ed and trample the crowd, the Tigers don't get p!$$ed and try to eat the trainers, and the sky doesn't fall on the trapeze artist.
    2. You Carry anyway. Something happens, you defend yourself, and end up defending yourself with a lot of money and time in court and MAYBE end up in jail
    3. You Decided NOT to carry. Something happens like a loose tiger eats child, child gets kidnapped, wife gets raped, you die...etc... etc... the list goes on. 3 days later you drink yourself to death.

Get the picture?
    Your list is incomplete:

4. You Decide NOT to go at all. Instead, you take your wife and kids to the range so they can blow things up. Yay! Fun, stays within the limits of the law, probably costs about the same, they get training, and you build relationships based on common activities rather than common spectatorship. And a target with a good group makes a great addition to the refrigerator door!

or

5. You send wife and daughter out for a mommy-daughter date, and you take your son to the range for some manly time. Then, claiming the need to work on your relationship with your daughter, you later take HER to the range (with a .22 to start, of course). My dear, sweet, pure-as-the-driven-snow daughter liked the idea of being a bad-donkey and enjoyed her time there (yours might, too). Of course, then you'll have to take your wife out... all in all, a great week!

Okay, well all was fine. There are no legal issues with carrying on school property, except private schools, and VCU (and K-12). The building was NOT posted, and there was no apparent security to hurdle entering the building. They said no weapons online, but the sign on the door said something like "No Professional Photography-No Outside Food or Beverage-No Flash Photography", but nothing about my third wheel. I'm not a student at GMU, but the girlfriend is, so I don't have to worry about expulsion.

Didn't have to shoot a tiger :-)

Sponsored Links