NC -- Charlotte/Meck Co appointment wait time

This is a discussion on NC -- Charlotte/Meck Co appointment wait time within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got back from my CCW class today (finally!) and I have some really bothersome news. In NC, if you reside in Mecklenberg County ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NC -- Charlotte/Meck Co appointment wait time

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar

Angry NC -- Charlotte/Meck Co appointment wait time

I just got back from my CCW class today (finally!) and I have some really bothersome news. In NC, if you reside in Mecklenberg County (Charlotte area folks), there is now a 90 day wait to get your APPOINTMENT TO APPLY for your permit! (with the Sheriff's office, that is.) Other counties don't seem to be having this problem, however.

And then however long the wait is after that...

2. Remove Ads

Maybe the sheriffs office is a bit anti gun. You could contact your state representative and see whats up. It could also be a small office and it takes more time . Ninety days dose sound excessive.

In Wake County, I've never made an appointment with the permit section of the Sheriff's office (not even sure they would make appointments). I and my wife and sons all obtained a number of pistol purchase permits from the Sheriff's office before getting our CCWs, with nary an appointment made. Here, it's just walk-in, first-come first-serve, and none of us had to wait more than a few minutes before being served. I renewed my CCW for the second time last fall, and my wife has just renewed hers for the second time.

Sounds like the "High Sheriff of Mecklenburg County" is infringing on your 2nd Amendment rights.

That sounds pretty convenient for the SO.

If NC is Shall Issue, there are probably state laws that deal w/issuing agencies who try to stall you off & generally try to make it not worth all your aggravation to get a CCW; my state has such laws.

Were I you, I would check that out while also getting ahold of my local [elected] representative.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Make a call here...for starters. Then hit up your local state rep.

North Carolina Concealed Carry Laws
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I know someone who took their class in January and couldn't get an appt until April 6. They are behind from what I understand. I am in Union County right next door and I had to wait a week, I thought that was a lot lol. Anyway, in Union I was told the person who does the fingerprints is only part time. Mecklenburg is a lot bigger, and with the increase in applications I am not surprised they are behind. It took my husband over a month to get his purchase permit in Mecklenburg and that was several years ago. I got mine in Union in one day. My friend just waited about a month for a purchase permit in Mecklenburg too. From what I hear around here, the classes are all full so the applications must be up as well.
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

Union Co doesnt seem near as long the wait Ive heard. Meck is slammed. You know since the place reeks of da ATL gang stuff.

Everyone wants a permit there. Our other guitar player is in Mint Hill. He hasnt gotten his yet. He is gonna be in for a wait it seems.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Apparently it's just that Meck is overwhelmed with new CCW applicants. They can't get everyone in fast enough, as there are SO many people taking CCW classes and qualifying. I'm going down to local PD to get my 10-card done, and I'll ask the Captain at that time if maybe that would help with the SO in getting my appt faster.

From what I'm told yesterday, the Charlotte area is the major hot spot for all the MS-13 gang activity, which is probably helping to drive up the number of applicants as well.

(Photos from my CCW class posted on the Back Porch here.)

When I applied in Wake Co., I walked in the SO with my "Safety Handgun Course" (I think it was called) training certificate and applied for a ccp. The ladies that work there are very nice and professional. About two weeks later I got the call to pick-up my permit.

You having to wait 90 days for an "appointment" to apply is absurd, especially in NC.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Cumberland County I just walked in got fingerprinted and recieved the packet to fill out. Came back a week later paid my money dropped off my packet and 2 1/2 weeks later picked up my CCW.

Sorry about that.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Sounds like a manpower issue...I know...raise taxes and hire more people...wait...that's bigger govt.

It is indeed a vicious circle. Guns and ammo flying off the shelfs, more CCW applications (not just in NC is the problem with manpower/processing...it is just about everywhere).

But since you have a special "in"...I'm sure that will work.

I hate to rub your nose in it,but here in Onslow county apply-to-permit,was 12 days.Sorry.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Iron Mike, I'm moving into your garage till my permit comes, ok? *grin* I don't take up much room...

always room for another refugee.
    BTW how was South Afrika? any pics?
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Appointment wait

Just called the Mecklenburg County Sheriff Dept to schedule my cc appointment. Today is April 20th, the first opening they had was July 23rd....That is 94 days from today... And Lord only knows how long after that I will receive my permit. This is crazy..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links