Carrying and Sitting

This is a discussion on Carrying and Sitting within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recieved my CCW in March and the other week I went home for spring break. Luckily my new Comp-Tac MTAC arrived before I got ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrying and Sitting

Carrying and Sitting

I recieved my CCW in March and the other week I went home for spring break. Luckily my new Comp-Tac MTAC arrived before I got back home, so I got to test it out with my service XD9. I adjusted the holster and found a good position on my hip. I looked in the mirror and while standing there was no printing, even when twisting around there was a barely noticible bulge that could only be seen if someone knew that I was carrying. The only problem that I had was when I went to bend over to pick stuff up or sit down. There would be a pretty obvious bulge in the back of my shirt when I bent over and when I sat down there was a "thud" from the grip of my pistol on the back of the chair. Even with the slight "thud" I managed to walk around the house for several hours and eat lunch without my parents or siblings realizing that I was packing.
    I searched for a similar topic because I thought I remembered reading about this when I first started looking at this forum but couldn't find anything that was related. So I was wondering if anyone had any similar situations when they first started carrying or any suggestions for me?

2. Remove Ads

I actually have the same concern. I hate carrying when going out to eat because I always feel like my gun is sticking way out. I normally try and keep it between the chair and my back, or just ignore it all together. As for bending over, I try and squat instead, keeping my back straight.

GMS
    I had a similar problem when starting to carry. I really wanted to carry strong side just behind the hip, but felt that sitting made the grip stick out too much.

Try sliding the position of the holster closer to between 3 -4 o'clock instead of 4-5 o'clock. It will stick out a little bit more when standing up, but is a good compromise it you spend a lot of time sitting down.
    Also add a little bit more cant. This will go a long way towards pulling the butt of the gun in tight.

Other things that helped me included switching to a CrossBreed Supertuck. The MTAC is very nice and was the first concealment holster that I used, but the thin belt clips combined with the tuckable feature did not pull the butt of the gun in towards my back enough. A holster that directly attaches the clip just behind the trigger guard does the best job of eliminating this problem. I have to use a tuckable holster so the Supertuck utilizes a very wide kydex clip which does a better job than the MTAC.

Yeah I sat down in a pew for the first time and heard a loud thud! Thankfully nobody was paying attention. Like the other person said just start squating instead of bending. It's better for your back anyways. That way you lift with you legs and not with your back. You'll get used to it.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

VIP Member
    If you can adjust the cant on your holster try going with a forward cant. It pulls the butt upward and into the body more. I carry at the 3:30-4:00 position with about a 15 degree cant and never have a problem.

You have to work on it. There is always going to be a bend, stretch, jump, or climb that may expose your firearm...just be cognizant of that fact and be careful.
    Soon you won't even think about it.

Stay armed...keep it concealed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    A few things I've discovered along the way.
    Sit down, but not all the way back at first, then slowly slip backward to avoid that thunk.
    If you're in a restaurant choose a booth if possible and sit with the wall on your strong side.
    Bend at knees, not at the waist, if you're reaching for something below, if you need to reach something above reach with the weak side hand, having your strong side arm pressing your body to keep your shirt from riding up.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Administrator
    Unless you are an incredibly super hot hunk - you can pretty much trust in the fact that nobody is going to be closely checking out your bum while you're out to dinner and sitting down in a booth or chair.

Good posture always helps but, honestly it is basically much to do about nothing.
    Go out and enjoy your meal and don't give it another thought.

In your mind you might want to believe that everybody around you is checking out your "Buns Of Steel" but, in reality they are just not looking...nor does anybody care what happened to make a momentary and solitary thunk in a restaurant.

LOL @ QK...

My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

I have recently received my UT CCW in March also, and have been practicing at home and discovered the same issue. I'm of average build and can cover some of the print with the techniques mentioned above, however even when I squat the butt still sticks out, although not as much. I do have the forward cant, and carry at 3-4 o'clock. I can cover up some of the print issues, but not all of them; any other helpful tips would be welcome......
    funwitHK
    Aim Low, don't be Disappointed, and Reach your Goals.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Unless you are an incredibly super hot hunk - you can pretty much trust in the fact that nobody is going to be closely checking out your bum while you're out to dinner and sitting down in a booth or chair.

Good posture always helps but, honestly it is basically much to do about nothing.
    Go out and enjoy your meal and don't give it another thought.

In your mind you might want to believe that everybody around you is checking out your "Buns Of Steel" but, in reality they are just not looking...nor does anybody care what happened to make a momentary and solitary thunk in a restaurant.
    Well maybe most don't, but some of us dirty old ladies still uhm, window shop
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

All the previous tips are really helpful for preventing printing, but in my opinion you can never completely get rid of printing. There is always certain movements that cause you to print, my goal is to learn what they are and how to avoid doing it and if I do I try to position my self so not everyone can see it. So, do what you can and dont worry to much about it because 99% of people out there are to busy to be actively looking for people that are carrying.

VIP Member
    Well, that is quite the piece, as it closely resembles the size/weight of my HK-P7. Still, I love my P7 but the hard reality is that for my somewhat smaller frame, its concealability is not its most notable feature. For winter wear, it’s not a problem at all. However, I like to dress pretty lean during summer so the P7 becomes my house mouse.

So, what’s the most logical option? You guessed it; back to the store for a summer gun! Any smaller frame contestant, that easily fits in the appendage zone (crotch) or elsewhere. Now, I realize the expense isn’t the fun part, and if you’re married, you may have to get creative or simply do the manly thing’ and beg.

So many guns, and so little time…
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Printing

I have found one of the best positions to limit or eliminate printing even with a full size gun ie G21SF, is the appendix carry position (inside the waistband of course). I'm 5'7" and 180lbs so I'm not a big man, but can quite comfortably carry in this position. I've been CC for 35 yrs now and to the best of my knowledge have never been "made". I also love the Smart Carry and use that to carry my G30SF. When you are a new CC, you have a tendency to believe that "everyone" is seeing you printing and knows you are carrying, when in fact that just isn't so. Buy your pants one waist size larger than normal if you plan on IWB method. That also applies if you are going to use the Smart Carry method. I have found pleated pants work the best with that method. There are many different types of holsters as there are different guns, because not everyone likes the same thing or can wear the same holster type. Try what works best for you and good luck with your decision. Welcome to the world of CC.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I'm in the 3-4 camp...just about over the kidney...and close to the elbow for additional coverage in case I am concerned about the butt sticking out.

Rick

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links