Sitting draw -

This is a discussion on Sitting draw - within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am often glad no one is watching - because I practice draw at all sorts of times!! Walking to and fro, house - office, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sitting draw -

Assistant Administrator

Sitting draw -

I am often glad no one is watching - because I practice draw at all sorts of times!! Walking to and fro, house - office, office - house - and more recently sitting here at puter. Almost any time in fact.

I am aware despite practice that (for me) a sitting draw is perceptably slower. Not by much but the whole manouver is less slick. When I stand and draw there is a fluid motion, hard to reproduce from sitting.

I am working on it but somehow doubt it will ever achieve standing draw ability.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    But that you are AWARE and practice counts huge. Kudos
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Lead Moderator
    a draw may be needed at any time, in any position. I practice from a drop and crawl to sitting, crouched, prone all sorts of diffrent positions.

Assistant Administrator
    Way to go Rocky - easy to forget some of those but the sitting one has been bugging me!!

You have the age advantage too - my old bod' is less than willing sometimes!
    Chris - P95

1943 - 2009
    Just don't shoot the 'puter, unless it does something to annoy you, of course!

When youíre wounded and left on Afghanistanís plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Im new to the CHP/CCW arena and am wondering what kind of practicing I should be doing. Where can I learn some good draws and what should I be practicing? I just thought this would be a good questions since the sitting question was raised.
    "Never turn your back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half. Never run away from anything. Never!"
    -- Winston Churchill

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Way to go Rocky - easy to forget some of those but the sitting one has been bugging me!!

You have the age advantage too - my old bod' is less than willing sometimes!
    And don't forget, the older you get the further you have to reach!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cougartxn
    Im new to the CHP/CCW arena and am wondering what kind of practicing I should be doing. Where can I learn some good draws and what should I be practicing? I just thought this would be a good questions since the sitting question was raised.
    Practice slow perfect draws from atleast the standing, kneeling, prone, sitting and with your back turned to target. One of the biggest helps in shooting is the dry fire. If you will dry fire about 50 reps from the holster a day, you will find you draw time going down and your accuracy getting better.

But the key is slow perfect reps, good grip, clean smooth draw, hands joining, presentation, commited trigger, front sight, press, and then recovery. Two important things ....ONE make sure the weapon is UNLOADED... I use weighted mags and snap cap in chamber and TWO folks on the TV are wonderful targets, they move, breath and have life like eyes.

Ok I'll hush and go back to my box.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Assistant Administrator
    I agree with your method there Steve - and have done it but because most of time the draw is with loaded carrypiece, the practice is usually pretty much getting out and grip etc. The aquisition phase.

I think I will set up the 228 with a weighted mag and snap cap - and substitute that so as to include the dry fire element. I hate frequent load/unload on carry 226 - mostly because of the trauma to ammo.

Practice is only way tho, always. Thx.

Oh and Cougar - welcome - follow Steve (fed's) advice - it will help you.
    Chris - P95

Administrator

cougartxn ~ In Home Practice

Newbie Draw Practice.

Naturally, check ~ double check your firearm to make sure that it is empty.
    Use dummies if you want to match the exact weight.
    SLOW is the way to go at first.

VERY SLOW
    You need to ingrain that pattern of movement.
    Turn off the TV ~ Do not listen to "tunes" while you are trying to pattern your draw sequence.

One thing that really helps:
    Close your eyes & do a series of 10 slow and complete draw & presentations every day for a week. You should do that In Addition To your normal practice.
    That WILL help your mind to "Brainset" the movement & it helps with fluidity. It really works!
    I am "sold" on rehearsing the exact draw sequence in a slightly meditative state of mind.

If you carry covered by a shirt then replace the shirt to its PRE~Draw location for every practice draw.

If your holster has a retention strap RE-SNAP IT prior to every new practice draw.

I hope the above information helps.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

All good advise.

If I may, add a bit of "hmmmm" within the thread (or have it branched off if considered a hi-jack).

QK mentioned the "brainset" (or also known as muscle memory). Now, it seems, from reading the boards for over many years, that people carry different depending on season, attire, etc.. So, one in winter may carry IWB/OWB because they have on a coat/sweater but when summer comes around, change to pocket/shorts or use a smaller gun in their OWB/IWB setup.

Now, you have to obtain muscle memory for both types of carry / different types of firearms (reach, draw, grasping the grip, etc..). BUT, in the time of need, which "brainset" will be the one that it goes to? Could this cause a problem or is it maybe a non-issue? And if it is an issue, what would be the best solution?

Wayne

Assistant Administrator
    Wayne - your point raised is why I standardize my carry as close to 100% as possible. The ''muscle memory'' of the essential draw and fire will probably hold good but IMO never quite as well as with the same gun, same rig, and same position every time.

I have ''OWB'd'' now so long I hesitate to use my sho rig again as I fear my hand will dive to right hip before I remember, even allowing for the feel of where gun weight is!!

QK - emphasis on the SLOW - yes indeed - build by increments. The closed eyes too is another good ploy - I open eyes at end of draw to see where gun is pointing and how sights look etc. All good stuff.
    Chris - P95

Closing your eyes while drawing is great training - helps to ingrain point of aim into muscle memory. It can also be beneficial in selecting a carry piece. Some handguns just flat-out point better than others, and it varies by individual. For some guys it's Glocks, for others 1911s or S&W wheelguns. When shopping, try a bunch and find the one that points naturally for you, not just what the salesman is pushing or the flavor of the day.
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final." - Bill Jordan

Some handguns just flat-out point better than others
    Mine is my Luger. But it's heck to conceal lol.

Chris. That is what I've been thinking of doing, but sometimes it doesn't seem feasable to always do so. But I've started to learn to dress around the gun, not just going and buying inexpensive clothes that fit but not so great for concealed carry.

Wayne

Assistant Administrator
    dress around the gun
    For anyone who can indulge this luxury - it is the way to go IMO - and also pretty much allows use of full size.
    Chris - P95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links