Requiring my real estate agents to carry... - Page 2

Requiring my real estate agents to carry...

This is a discussion on Requiring my real estate agents to carry... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would do some checking to see if you incur a liability for "strongly recommending" they carry. I suspect you do incur liability. It might ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Requiring my real estate agents to carry...

I would do some checking to see if you incur a liability for "strongly recommending" they carry. I suspect you do incur liability. It might be the same even if you know they are carrrying while on the job.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    I think if asked I would say, "I have no rules"...and leave it up to the individual. I wouldn't recommend, require, or even suggest. Concealed carry should be an individual responsibility...and there maybe days one wants to carry and days they don't.
    Good advice. To require or even recommend would open you up to a lot of legal issues. Not to mention the expense. If you require a firearm to be carried, some agent/agents may "say fine, furnish me with a firearm, I don't own one and have no desire to spend my money on one. By the way, I'm not familiar with firearms so you will
    you pay for the firearms arms training? I don't think the basic course to get my permit prepares me to properly defend myself. Oh yes, ammunition, if I'm going to carry I want to become and remain proficient with the firearm so you will be providing ammunition for me to practice regularly, won't you?"

Then there is the possibility that someone will sue you for making it a requirement. They could sue for violation of their individual rights or even on the basis that it violates their religeous beliefs.

I work in a gun shop and the owner has said that he has no rules for or against us carrying. Everyone carries except one person and he chooses not to do so, but is one heck of a salesperson. He obviously has nothing against others owning guns but it just isn't his cup of tea.
    NRA life member.

mkh
    I get the impression that the real estate agents are not employees. If that is the case only contract with agents that are licensed.

Everyone is saying to "recommend" and talking about the liability involved. I am curious of the liability that you may incur if something was to happen to the agent or customers if they weren't armed.

I'd want to work for you! But, let me decide how I defend myself. Knife, fists, spray, and Asp may assist.
    Courage: "Do not follow where the path may lead...go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Retired Army, Infantry
    NRA Life Member

For liability reasons, I would not require it.

But, I would tell them CCL is highly welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by ccroom View Post
    I think I'm going to require any agents that have their CWL and work for me to carry.
    Too many times we see employers keeping their employees's from carrying.
    We have had instances here lately where realtors are kidnapped and taken to the ATM machine.
    It's just a matter of time before one of them pulls the trigger.
    So, you are going to impose your personal beliefs upon an individual as a requirement for employment which has no bearing on their effectiveness to do their job. Nice.

Carrying a gun is a personal choice and along with that choice comes the responsibility - either being responsible for the gun and actions associated with the gun, or responsible for the consequences of not carrying.

We as a gun community will stand up and scream that our rights are being denied because employers forbid carrying on the job. Now, a supporter of the 2nd ammendment is going to do the same thing in reverse?!?

do not require. strongly encourage is great but if you require then you become liable for every round they fire be it for training or defense.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

I would not require it, encourage maybe. Just as carrying a weapon is a personal choice so is not carrying one. If we cherish personal choice so much how can you "require it". I could see some possible legal liability there should someone who does not want to decide they will challenge it. I am not a realitor but I doubt seriously there is anything in the real estate laws that says realitors are required to carry a weapon. I believe you are opening yourself up legally for some problems. I think that you could recommend it but be careful you don't make it a condition for employment or use it as a basis for hiring or firing.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Have you considerred scheduling a self defense class, so that everyone can learn a variety of techniques to handle threatening situations? That way you encourage active, thoughtful self defense and you can inform them of your positive policies regarding the defense choice they make.

I would offer my employees (that are interested), a "team building weekend" trip to Front Sight or one of the other fine training institutes.

Then, leave it to their discretion whether or not to carry.

VIP Member
    A local agent was murdered here about a year ago while she was showing a home to an out of town buyer.

The case is still unsolved.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    A local agent was murdered here about a year ago while she was showing a home to an out of town buyer.

The case is still unsolved.
    My post was going to be: being a real estate agent is one of the most dangerous white collar/professional vocations out there. Then I saw this post. It happens more than you can imagine.

I know a CCW instructor who is also a real estate agent. He gives huge discounts to any real estate agents who take his classes.

Requirement, NO; strongly recommend, YES!
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Agree!

I am a Texas Realtor and do carry....always!
    I have to travel in unsavory neighborhoods and check out nasty properties. You just never know!
    Don't leave home without it!

I would strongly encourage, but not require. After all, we are all entitled to be beaten and robbed if we choose to be a victim.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    I get the impression that the real estate agents are not employees. If that is the case only contract with agents that are licensed.

Everyone is saying to "recommend" and talking about the liability involved. I am curious of the liability that you may incur if something was to happen to the agent or customers if they weren't armed.
    While technically correct, a RE Broker does control who is allowed to work under his Broker's license. In many states, if not all, a licensed Real Estate Agent must work under control of a Real Estate Broker.
    (or get themselves certified as a Broker and open their own agency)
    So while a licensee technically is self employed, they are granted or denied the right to work for a particular agency under the Broker's license. In those states that are set up under that situation, requiring someone to carry could be considered a prerequisite for employment.
    NRA life member.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links