Requiring my real estate agents to carry... - Page 5

Requiring my real estate agents to carry...

This is a discussion on Requiring my real estate agents to carry... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I haven't required it but since I posted this thread my real estate agent is carrying more than he did before....

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    I haven't required it but since I posted this thread my real estate agent is carrying more than he did before.
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

I did not take the time to read all of the replies posted.

SOP here is that a Apartment manager will cc a DL or ID before they will show a client a open rental unit. They are also supposed to notify the Maintance man or assistant were they will be.

Dispite this, in the last 2 weeks there were three incidents were a female Manager was raped while showing an apartment. Police were able apprehended the BG within 2 hours but only after the 3rd time.

Sounds good to me.
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

I work for a real estate software company and I do speaking engagements across the country and typically one of the things that I talk about (being a REALTOR myself) I do talk about concealed carry. There has been a couple of women that are agents that have been attacked at open houses or showings.

I talk about using their website as a scheduling tool and the conversation came up at one point and I was surprised at the split in the room about carrying.

Interesting topic.
    "I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop"

Doesen't suprise me. You ought to see my families reaction when we have get togethers. The other night I was at my Grandma & Grandpa's house and showed my Grandpa my concealed carries. His reply was "why do you need that?" then I asked him "why did you carry when you worked for The Department of Human Services?" that ended the conversation.

In my office (Real Estate), there are six CCers. We even joke about a minimum caliber requirement, anything less than 38 +P is not allowed. .357 magnum, 10mm, .40 and .45 ACP preferred.
    A BG coming into the office with bad intentions will most likely end his criminal career right then and there.
    G21SF, G30, G36, Ruger SP101 DAO, S&W 642

Nice.

There are a lot of agents who have been lured by a bad guy claiming to want to see a house. When they arrive they are robbed or worse killed. This is one job that a person should be carrying on. It's as bad as delivering pizza.

I'm a real estate appraiser and go into plenty of bad areas and vacant homes. I have been chased by pit pulls (protecting a vacant drug house) and by homeless who have taken over a vacant property. I also go into 5-10 homes a week. How do I know who is a nut job or who isn't?
    NRA Member GOAL Member
    Glock 26
    Glock 27
    Sig Sauer 226
    Beretta 21 .25
    S&W1911

VIP Member
    Here's a link to a story I had posted on earlier. Any realtors considering NOT carrying should read it.

Police say 911 call a clue to Victoria real estate agent's death

It should be doubly noted that this was in a very upscale neighbourhood just reinforcing the fact you never know where and when you're safe.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I have to agree with the others. To recommend and encourage is one thing, to require it is something else. You open yourself up to liability for your agents actions when you require they carry. You are trying to do the same thing that the non-gun friendly businesses are doing to CWP holders, only in reverse. Just as it is morally wrong for them to tell us we cannot carry, it is morally wrong for you to tell them they must carry. It is a choice they should be allowed to make.
    So, is it morally wrong to require armored car guards to carry? How about LEOs?
    It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume

LEOs and armored car guards have a different job description than real estate agents; they carry a gun in support of their mission, not simply for self-protection.

A real estate agent would be carrying only for self-protection. Bombast and hyperbole aside, requiring someone to carry who might otherwise not is a very, very bad idea. Those who don't choose to carry probably aren't willing or prepared to do so.

And liability on all sides, for accidents (which are going to happen if you impose a requirement to carry on non-gun people) or intentional shootings, would be insane for an employer who did this. Criminals, r/e agents, everyone and anyone involved in a shooting would be clamoring for your wallet. "It would never have happened if I wasn't forced to carry a gun..." And they'll win.

If someone chooses to protect himself, great. If someone chooses not to, it's his choice.

Either way you get sued. For not protecting or forcing to protect. I started this thread, if someone didn't want to carry I just wouldn't hire them. Do you think armored trucks guards are asked "if" they want to carry? What if they shoot someone. Even if the BG is in the act of committing a crime he could try sue you. Anyone can hire a lawyer to write a letter. Sometimes it's cheaper to pay off than to go to court. How did we let it come to this? We are all guilty.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links