Traveling to Canada ...

This is a discussion on Traveling to Canada ... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Folks, Not sure if this is the best category for this, but what the heck. I am driving from CO up to Alberta, CA this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling to Canada ...

Traveling to Canada ...

Folks,

Not sure if this is the best category for this, but what the heck.

I am driving from CO up to Alberta, CA this summer for a week. If I was flying in, I'd just leave my sidearm at home for the week given as I understand it you can't carry it in CA .. much less use it. :-(

Given I have a long drive (solo no less), I'd prefer to keep a sidearm even if it means locking it in the car safe once I cross the border. I've started to do some digging on the web, but would appreciate any feedback from these members here. Another thought even if not my first choice .. do I bring along the shotgun instead of a sidearm as it's a "hunting rifle"?

Thanks!
    ** Sig P229 (9mm / .40) w/ CT / Walther PPS / Glock 27 / Kimber CDP Pro II **

2. Remove Ads

JEC
    DCT, You may want to do a little research before you travel.
    Canada is not a very "Gun Friendly" place to visit.
    Check here . Have a safe trip

VIP Member
    Note my location.

Do not even think of crossing the border with a handgun unless you have done all the paperwork in advance. Even then, it will have to be for participation in a match. Paperwork is required for long guns too.

Go to Royal Canadian Mounted Police - Canadian Firearms Program | Gendarmerie royale du Canada - Programme canadien des armes feu . After logging in and selecting "English" on the left side you will see a section marked "Visitors/Non-Residents". That should give you what you need to know.

Welcome to my world!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

VIP Member
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I traveled to montreal but crossed over from michigan,I found somebody willing to store my gun in Michigan until I came back from my visit.If you get caught trying to get a gun into canada illegally you better like prison
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I traveled to montreal but crossed over from michigan,I found somebody willing to store my gun in Michigan until I came back from my visit.If you get caught trying to get a gun into canada illegally you better like prison
    +1000 on that!

Every year Customs seizes vehicles and firearms from US citizens that ignore the copeous amount of signage indicating that all firearms must be declared.

Avoid the Queen's hospitality, please!!

I don't know how much of a pain it would be to get all the paperwork to bring it up here, but if your not planning on using it while up here, perhaps find a dealer near the border who will hold it for you.

Up here you would probably be better off getting caught with a car load of cocaine, then an illegal handgun, unloaded, trigger locked and in a locked case, in a locked vehicle.

It's sad but that is pretty much the way it is right now. While up here, try to talk some sense into every Canadian you meet. Since your headed to Alberta you will probably even find many who think we should be allowed to carry.

JEC
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Note my location.

Do not even think of crossing the border with a handgun unless you have done all the paperwork in advance. Even then, it will have to be for participation in a match. Paperwork is required for long guns too.

Go to Royal Canadian Mounted Police - Canadian Firearms Program | Gendarmerie royale du Canada - Programme canadien des armes feu . After logging in and selecting "English" on the left side you will see a section marked "Visitors/Non-Residents". That should give you what you need to know.

Welcome to my world!
    Canada is a great vacation destination. My wife and I travel and cross the border from New York and have never experienced anything but nice, courteous customs officers. I will say however in 35 years the questions have not changed much, the concerns always seem to be " Have any Alcohol, Tobacco or Firearms? "

Egads .. I knew it was restrictive in CA ... but WOW !!! Man, this sure begins to put a damper on a fun trip to Lake Louise!! :-( One might think it would be better than nothing at all to permit Pepper spray ... much less a gun in grizzly country .. silly me I keep trying to apply logic to laws defined by a bunch of bureaucrats!!! (Note to my Canadian brethren ... this applies as much or more to my own country so please don't take offense!)

Thanks for the pointers guys.
    ** Sig P229 (9mm / .40) w/ CT / Walther PPS / Glock 27 / Kimber CDP Pro II **

Oh we take no offense to how stupid beurocrats can be, both your and ours, we get to deal with your beurocrats changing export laws about every other day for the firearms related goods that we want to buy from you.

You can carry pepper spray for dog and bear defense, however never say it's for protection from muggers, as saying that is admitting to a crime. Same thing with a knife, if you state it's a tool for whatever you are fine, however if you admit to carrying it for protection from humans, that is a crime. Kinda sad that it is illegal to be prepared in our country, but that is the way it is. Even most Canadians have no idea that it is illegal to carry pepper spray for fending off muggers.

To really add to confusion, if you carry pepper spray for dog defense, and are mugged, you are then justified to defend yourself with whats available, including pepper spray, just make sure you don't tell the police you were carrying it for mugger defense.

Oh and don't even think about bringing along a tazer.

Since your in Alberta and our environmentalists are having a heart attack about the Grizzly bear population and canceled all hunting of them, reports are they are getting tamer, but you better have teeth or claw marks before you kill one in defense, or I wouldn't want to be you.

VIP Member
    Buy pepper spray when you're across the border, in Canada. You're better off to not have anything that can even be considered a weapon when crossing. This includes a lot of knives too.

If you were planning the same rout out as you did in, would you be allowed to leave your gun with customs till you leave Canada?

Even if you get it legally into CANADA, Good luck getting it back into the good old U. S. of Obama.

(Are you a Veteran (Right wing Terrorist) according to DHS??????)

Have a nice trip Eh?
    Its so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him, the Sheriff said.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    If you were planning the same rout out as you did in, would you be allowed to leave your gun with customs till you leave Canada?
    I sincerely doubt it. Any "leaving it with them" would probably be permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    I sincerely doubt it. Any "leaving it with them" would probably be permanent.
    Good to know. lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links