Got my appointment, but the wait is KILLING me! - Page 2

Got my appointment, but the wait is KILLING me!

This is a discussion on Got my appointment, but the wait is KILLING me! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, you know how I feel about the "waiting for an appointment to apply to then wait 90 days to get a ccp" crap. I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Well, you know how I feel about the "waiting for an appointment to apply to then wait 90 days to get a ccp" crap.

I don't know why, the county with the largest city in the State of North Carolina can't afford to hire more staff to process these applications.

In Wake Co. (Raleigh) the gun purchase permit takes about a week and the ccp less than a month.

You can actually move to Raleigh, after 30 days in Wake Co. you can apply for the ccp and a few weeks later you'll get it. Then, you can move back to the Queen City (if you want). You'll probably have it before your "appointment" in June. Just a thought.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    All good things happen in time...keep practicing.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your dilemma Bunny. I had no idea NC was that gun unfriendly. Interviews just to apply for a carry permit, permits to purchase a weapon. My god, do you have to have a permit each time you want to buy ammo too??! While parts of NC are beautiful, it definitely doesn't sound like a place I'd like to live.
    Archer,I belive its just the big cities(where no sane homo erectus or higher evolved spieces should live) that try to delay you into giving up.
    Here on the coast it only took 12 days,but this a UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS town.The law of the land is respected.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    I've never waited more than 5 minutes to purchase a firearm. Needing a permit to buy a gun is insane !! How'd you end up with a crazy rule like that ?
    Sir, that law is a holdover from "Jim Crow" days when the local Sheriff needed a way to prevent African-Americans from buying handguns.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Thanks for the explanation IronMike. You'd think that the stupid law could be gotten rid of.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Ok, I have a way to get around it, maybe.

Supposedly, you can call EVERY MORNING to the permit office and see if there are any cancellations on the books for that day. Then if there are, you can take that appointment. Man are they gonna get sick of me! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Ok, I have a way to get around it, maybe.

Supposedly, you can call EVERY MORNING to the permit office and see if there are any cancellations on the books for that day. Then if there are, you can take that appointment. Man are they gonna get sick of me! lol
    Well that sounds like a good plan. Best of luck!

Totally spoiled up here in NH. No state registration at all. Only the Federal check if buying from an FFL. Private sales unregulated. No limit on sales of guns or ammo. If it is ok with the feds, it is ok with NH.
    Did just find out from my FFL that my city, Portsmouth, gets a form if I buy more then 5 guns at a time. Guys are spreading purchases out as not to be on the list. Doesn't matter to me.

My concealed carry took about 8 days, from mailing it in, to getting it back. They checked my references and criminal records, and that was it.

Im in sorta the same boat. I turned mine in last thursay in tn. They said it could take 90 days. People are saying to call at the 30 day mark. Its already killing me! I think ill call at the 2 week mark.

NC is very gun friendly. Bunny just lives in the Charlotte area which is too big city. Unlike Va, where the dealer calls the SHP for a background check, in NC you go by the sheriffs dept and apply for up to 5 purchase permits, which in most places you pick up in 5 days. Then you just give the dealer one with each purchase. Also here in Transylvania Co. in the mountains I just stopped by the sheriff's department after taking my CC class and had my fingerprints taken and turned in my application.

Quote Originally Posted by wpeeler View Post
    NC is very gun friendly. Bunny just lives in the Charlotte area which is too big city. Unlike Va, where the dealer calls the SHP for a background check, in NC you go by the sheriffs dept and apply for up to 5 purchase permits, which in most places you pick up in 5 days. Then you just give the dealer one with each purchase. Also here in Transylvania Co. in the mountains I just stopped by the sheriff's department after taking my CC class and had my fingerprints taken and turned in my application.
    With a ccp you can buy as many guns as you want, on the spot, without "purchase permits."
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links