Got my appointment, but the wait is KILLING me!

This is a discussion on Got my appointment, but the wait is KILLING me! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I FINALLY pestered the nice people at the Sheriff's Office enough to where they gave me a live person to talk to on the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got my appointment, but the wait is KILLING me!

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar

Got my appointment, but the wait is KILLING me!

Ok, I FINALLY pestered the nice people at the Sheriff's Office enough to where they gave me a live person to talk to on the phone. I got an appointment to apply for my CCW Permit...JUNE 23rd! (Then it's still a 90-day processing time, I'm told.)

So I thought that at least while I wait, I should get some time in at the range, right? I thought it was a 5-day wait to purchase in NC. Nope! Apparenly you have to download a purchase application, mail it in to the S.O., and then it's now a FOUR WEEK PROCESS TIME, after which they email you to come pick up your permit.

ARGH!!!!!!! I have instant-gratification disorder to begin with. This is just beyond painful! did any of you have to go through this? What did you do to get through it? I'm read to gnaw off a foot or something.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post

Ok, I FINALLY pestered the nice people at the Sheriff's Office enough to where they gave me a live person to talk to on the phone. I got an appointment to apply for my CCW Permit...JUNE 23rd! (Then it's still a 90-day processing time, I'm told.)

So I thought that at least while I wait, I should get some time in at the range, right? I thought it was a 5-day wait to purchase in NC. Nope! Apparenly you have to download a purchase application, mail it in to the S.O., and then it's now a FOUR WEEK PROCESS TIME, after which they email you to come pick up your permit.

ARGH!!!!!!! I have instant-gratification disorder to begin with. This is just beyond painful! did any of you have to go through this? What did you do to get through it? I'm read to gnaw off a foot or something.
    nope sorry. You could always move to VA for a few years...buy all you want whenever you want, and then move back to NC.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I grew up in NoVa. Maybe I should head back there...

*frustrated beyond words*

In Texas, The CHL (Concealed Handgun License) process is long and involved. However, purchasing a gun is a snap. Without a CHL, it takes 30 minutes to fill out the paperwork and call in the check. With a CHL, there is no call to make. Just 15 minutes of paperwork and you are leaving with gun in hand.

To obtain a CHL, you must apply to the state and receive a packet of forms which you take with you to a state certified instructor for a 10 hour class. Some Instructors will supply the packet which saves one step in the process. The class is bot lecture and range. You must pass a written test and you must qualify at the range. You obtain passport photos and supply finger prints (Some instructors do both for you). You fill out the forms, insert the pictures, insert the prints, insert the certifications for passing the test and qualifying at the range, and mail in the packet to the state. You then wait between 40 to 70 days for it to be approved through background checks (running more like 90 to 100 days right now). Then, if everything was good (including them approving the quality of the prints you supplied), they will mail out your CHL.
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

I think your in the wrong county.

Cumberland County does not require you to make an appointment to start the process. You just go to the Court House and pick up your packet. fill everything out go back pay your $90.00 and get your finger prints done. They told me 4-6 weeks, but got it in 2 1/2 weeks.

What County are you in again???
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

VIP Member
    Sorry to hear about your dilemma Bunny. I had no idea NC was that gun unfriendly. Interviews just to apply for a carry permit, permits to purchase a weapon. My god, do you have to have a permit each time you want to buy ammo too??! While parts of NC are beautiful, it definitely doesn't sound like a place I'd like to live.

Patience, Bunny.

If you think about it, the number of people applying for permits since the last election has increased in multiple percentages. They are probably just overloaded with applications. I have my wife on the list for hers here in WV and we have yet to recieve the letter for her class. That has been almost six weeks ago and still, no letter. So I believe the long wait is pretty universal at this time.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your dilemma Bunny. I had no idea NC was that gun unfriendly. Interviews just to apply for a carry permit, permits to purchase a weapon. My god, do you have to have a permit each time you want to buy ammo too??! While parts of NC are beautiful, it definitely doesn't sound like a place I'd like to live.
    in jersey you have to have a firearms ID card just to LOOK at a weapon. this goes for long and short guns. and yes you need that same card to purchase ammo

You just need to leave Mecklenburg County- I am glad I did! I got my purchase permits in the mail the day after I applied for them. Union County is another world from Meck. Most of NC is not like Mecklenburg from what I hear.
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

Wow, sure glad I don't live in Jersey or NC.

Bunny, I see you like giant breed dogs, we have a Komondor named Murphy.
    NRA Life Member.
    H&K USP Compact .40
    Among others.

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Patience, Bunny.

If you think about it, the number of people applying for permits since the last election has increased in multiple percentages. They are probably just overloaded with applications. I have my wife on the list for hers here in WV and we have yet to recieve the letter for her class. That has been almost six weeks ago and still, no letter. So I believe the long wait is pretty universal at this time.

Ninety days to wait to make an appointment? How long could it take to make an appointment?
    This is pure 'garbage'...just an excuse to postpone CCW permit 'seekers'. OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I just started my 90 day wait on Monday. :(

It's not the whole of NC (thanks to you non-Mecklenburgers for the "nyah nyahs." Just kidding!) It's really just Mecklenburg County (Charlotte area). And it's not that they're not gun-friendly. as I understand it, they're just swamped, and there is ONE PERSON doing all the paperwork!

Sheesh, if that's the holdup, I'd be more than happy to get my bunny butt down there and work, free of charge, just to get things moving along.

I'm a bit miffed about the 4 week wait to get a purchase permit though. I figured if I went down to the gun shop today, I'd have me a new friend in 5 business days. Oh well.

kpw
    No wonder Bloomberg hates PA. Walk into SO, fill out app, pay $26, get your pic taken and 7-10 days later, your permit shows up in the mail. Walk into a gun shop, fill out paperwork, they call for PICS check, pay the man and leave... with the gun. I always thought that was a hassle!
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I've never waited more than 5 minutes to purchase a firearm. Needing a permit to buy a gun is insane !! How'd you end up with a crazy rule like that ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links