CHL, taking a long time in Texas

This is a discussion on CHL, taking a long time in Texas within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's taking quite a while for the Texas DPS to process applications as many already know. I just wanted to share my experience thus far. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CHL, taking a long time in Texas

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar

It's taking quite a while for the Texas DPS to process applications as many already know. I just wanted to share my experience thus far.
    Timeline:
    DPS recieved certified mail (packet) 3/9/09
    Recieved Letter with pin # from DPS
    stating application was being processed 4/14/09

Thats 35 days from the time they recieved my application till they started processing it.

Anyone else experience this timeframe?

Unfortunately Ernie our state isn't as quick as many of the others on this forum experience in their home state. I've seen all your posts on the subject and I think the best advice is just to chill on it for a little bit--mine took about 90 days in the fall and the best way I found to wait for it was stop checking online for updates as it can make you go crazy.

Though, I have heard that writing your congressman can possibly make this process go faster--so you're really itchin' to be a sheepdog you can try that approach. There are many other Texans out there in your situation and they're right in line around you...
    CZ P-06
    Glock 23 OD with CT laser
    S&W 642

I would guess that because of the increasing number of applicants the solitary 20 year old intern they have typing these into the system is not moving so fast. (job security)

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockstock View Post
    Unfortunately Ernie our state isn't as quick as many of the others on this forum experience in their home state. I've seen all your posts on the subject and I think the best advice is just to chill on it for a little bit--mine took about 90 days in the fall and the best way I found to wait for it was stop checking online for updates as it can make you go crazy.

Though, I have heard that writing your congressman can possibly make this process go faster--so you're really itchin' to be a sheepdog you can try that approach. There are many other Texans out there in your situation and they're right in line around you...

haha: I know I have posted a lot on the subject. What I am looking for are others with similar experiences so I don't feel like mine is unique.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    There are a record number of people applying for a CHL at this time. The staffing is limited at DPS. If they were to hire more people than at some point there is going to be a lay off. Hang in there it will happen. Everyone in my classes experience the same thing. I get calls daily.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

i recently received my TX CHL and went through the same thing... I sent my app in the first week of January and got my license the end of March.

You can expect to wait about 70-90 days from the time you mailed your application to DPS until you receive plastic. It took TX DPS over a month before they issued my PIN which is basically when the application review process begins. (This is when my status changed to "Processing Application.") Assuming everuthing is legit and you pass background tests, after 50-60 days later you'll see "License issued - Certificate active"

I know it's a long time and seems ridiculous compared to some other states, but it's worth it! Good luck...

I had some trouble with my TR paperwork (CHL instructor had the wrong number on it) and that held my wife and I up a little. However, once we got everything right, the permits came quick.

Overall, from submission of paperwork to receipt of permit was about 75 days (also in Texas).

I'm with you, fellow Texan. I took the class on 1/31, mailed off the packet on 2/7 and received my pin from DPS sometime in early March. I have been in "Processing Application" status for nearly two months - sigh. I'm hoping to get my certificate in early May.
    Rick

The statute says that DPS is suppose to process your application within 60 days. Although there were some delays beyond this last fall, my guess is that you will receive your permit within 50-60 days. That means that you probably will be receiving it no later than May 8, 2009. Let's us known. In the meanwhile, my money is on DPS meeting the statutory time table.

My application was received on Feb 10th and I am still in processing as well. They say they're waiting on all of my background checks to come in. Wait patiently!! I think they issue your license after you've checked the status online for the 10,000th time :)

BTW Ernie, Wife and I are moving to WILLIS end of May! Her parents have a place up there where we're gonna squat for a while as we save up for a home somewhere else.......looking forward to the commute to the medical center downtown, haha.
    Yep, I'm a Male Nurse.....Focker

Kimber Ultra CDP II
    Beretta PX4 9mm
    Ruger LCP
    FN Herstal PBR .308

100 days exactly here.
    Going on a year since I received it. I know youre getting impatient, but it will come. Assuming that you are a law abiding Texan. Good luck!

Best advice is to just forget about it! Took 85 days to receive it back in October. TX DPS will get to it eventually, don't drive yourself crazy obsessing over it, but make a mental note in 4 years to renew early!
    Wreck'em Tech! Go Red Raiders!

I have the Signess!

Sig Sauer P225 Montage Suisse / Sig Sauer P238 / Sig Sauer P226 9mm CPO / S&W M&P9c

Ernie, get ready to be very patient. Mine took 150 days from receiving the PIN, and along the Gulf Coast, that's more average than unusual. DFW folks seem to be a lot faster.

I would NOT start calling until you are at least 60-90 from getting that letter. They are backlogged and you will only irritate them.

Favorites: "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier."
    Admiral Gary Roughead, CNO: "I never, ever, want to see my sailors or Marines in a fair fight."

Mine took 4 months about 9 months ago. Then they got my drivers license wrong on my CHL, typo'd an 8 to a 3. And that took another 2 months to get corrected.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Its been about 30 days since I sent my renewal in. Hopefully, I will see it soon!

I learned something in my class this last time that I didn't know -- On your third renewal, you don't have to take the class and your license lasts for 10 years.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links