Florida School Zone Carry?

Florida School Zone Carry?

This is a discussion on Florida School Zone Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I know it's off limits to carry a gun in a school. There seems to be a few gray areas I'm not sure of. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Florida School Zone Carry?

Lightbulb Florida School Zone Carry?

Ok, I know it's off limits to carry a gun in a school. There seems to be a few gray areas I'm not sure of. What about the parking lot? For those of you that drop your children off to school, do you not carry at all during the drop off?

I've been told that "no means no", I've been told by a lawyer that "it's ok to carry as long as it's concealed on your person and you stay in your vehicle" and I've been told by a local sheriff that "as long as it's locked in your glove box, your ok".

Can someone please shed some more light on this subject? It just doesn't seem feasible to leave the house, drop the kids off and then go back to the house to pick up the weapon. Up til this point I have NOT carried when dropping off the kids. Too many gray areas here.....can anyone help?

We've got to remember this is state by state. In my state, I can open carry durig pick up and do every day. This is not ok in many states.
    They can't take your right to own a firearm. They can ask with force and you can answer any way you choose.

I'm sure that is like Arizona's law,.. You can carry on school ground's in your car unloaded, keeping it covered at all times,. If you leave your car, you MUST have it locked up in the car and again,. Out of sight,. I hope this law get's changed soon, it stinks dealing with it when I'm driving and getting my kids,.. When I'm on my bike I basicly cannot carry (could, but cannot keep it covered and put it in the gun safe in the bag,)

I do not have the statue handy; in fact I’ve been looking for it and cannot find it. But, I will tell you the answer I got.

My wife works in the school system, so a few years ago; I asked the deputy who was stationed at her school, that same question. He advised that so long as I was in the auto, I could keep it concealed any way I liked. If I got out of the vehicle, I should lock my sidearm in the glove box.

Most important thing was to make sure no kid saw me armed, and that no one noticed me put the pistol in the glove box; didn’t want some kid breaking into the car to steal the pistol.

Here is the wording from the state:

Places Off-Limits Even With A Permit/License
    790.06 (12) License to Carry Concealed Weapon or Firearm
    • Any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05
    • any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station;
    • any detention facility, prison, or jail;
    • any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from
    carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her
    courtroom;
    • any polling place;
    • any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special
    district;
    • any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;
    • any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms;
    • any school administration building;
    • any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for...........etc

As I understand it from local LEO, if you are in your car or in the parking lot with it concealed and don't enter the school building, it is permissible.
    2A is not negotiable

Any school building, property or grounds or any school bus or conveyance. W. Va. Code
    § 61-7-11A.
    WV says no on the above.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I hear they are thinking of amending the statutes to clarify this soon.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I hope they amend it to say CC holders can carry,. Schools would be WAY safer for sure.. I so much hate to be disarmed in area's where only criminals are packing heat,. If there isn't an armed guard or police stationed nearby,.. I just feel helpless,.

Quote Originally Posted by TucAzRider View Post
    I hope they amend it to say CC holders can carry,. Schools would be WAY safer for sure.. I so much hate to be disarmed in area's where only criminals are packing heat,. If there isn't an armed guard or police stationed nearby,.. I just feel helpless,.
    I can definitely agree with what you are saying. I feel the same way. The way they write these statutes leaves plenty of questions for different scenarios. More clarity would really be appreciated IMO!

Quote Originally Posted by LeCalsey View Post
    As I understand it from local LEO, if you are in your car or in the parking lot with it concealed and don't enter the school building, it is permissible.
    That is what I was told too. It just seems that many have their own ideas when it comes to the right answer. You can ask two different LEO's and they will both have different answers.

I don't know if I want them to clarify it. How likely are they to clarify it in our favor?

As for the law:

Florida Statutes
    790.115 Possessing or discharging weapons or firearms at a school-sponsored event or on school property prohibited; penalties; exceptions.--
    (2)(a) A person shall not possess any firearm, electric weapon or device, destructive device, or other weapon as defined in s. 790.001(13), including a razor blade or box cutter, except as authorized in support of school-sanctioned activities, at a school-sponsored event or on the property of any school, school bus, or school bus stop; however, a person may carry a firearm:

3. In a vehicle pursuant to s. 790.25(5); except that school districts may adopt written and published policies that waive the exception in this subparagraph for purposes of student and campus parking privileges.
    ----------------------
    790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.--

(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.
    Clear enough? I don't think so either.

However, bookmark this site: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/STATUTES/...EChapter%20790

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

mkh
    790.115 Possessing or discharging weapons or firearms at a school-sponsored event or on school property prohibited; penalties; exceptions.--
    (2)(a) A person shall not possess any firearm, electric weapon or device, destructive device, or other weapon as defined in s. 790.001(13), including a razor blade or box cutter, except as authorized in support of school-sanctioned activities, at a school-sponsored event or on the property of any school, school bus, or school bus stop; however, a person may carry a firearm:

3. In a vehicle pursuant to s. 790.25(5); except that school districts may adopt written and published policies that waive the exception in this subparagraph for purposes of student and campus parking privileges.
    That is what i do when I drop off my daughter. It is in a holster and locked in my glove compartment. The only key to unlock it is the one in the ignition. At the first stop I make after leaving the school I go back to CC.

In Va you can drop off and pick up at a school while remaining in your car. This is for those that have a concealed weapons permit only.

In Mich. we are allowed to carry in our vehicle in the parking lot only. If you need to go inside, you would need to lock your firearm in your vehicle. Mich. State law states that the parking lot is not included in the term "premisis"

M&P9c
    SW99 40cal.
    SuperTuck

Leave locked in glovebox if leaving vehicle, ESPECIALLY if going into building. Possession in building strictly forbidden by law.

Totally legal to carry in car. It gets gray area on grounds, helping the kid out of the car is one thing,going to playgropund or walking aroud could be a problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links