Out of state carry to Florida?

This is a discussion on Out of state carry to Florida? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok guys I have read some of the material that I can find on the site and am in hopes someone can keep me from ...

Thread: Out of state carry to Florida?

Out of state carry to Florida?

Ok guys I have read some of the material that I can find on the site and am in hopes someone can keep me from reading until my eyeballs fall out tonight,

The family and I are taking a trip this weekend to Panama City Beach from Georgia. I have my firearms license but have not carried out of state before. What are the most important things I need to know about carry in FL?

I know that we will have dinner out while there and can't stay away from Margaritaville so I will probably have a drink or two. (Yes I mean a drink or two, not ten or twelve) I have a son and I never have more than two drinks, ever. Is it safe to have my firearm in the car console?

If pulled over do I need to announce that I have a firearm?

If you have any suggestions, please include them and thanks for the assistance!

2. Remove Ads

Take a look at the statutes. There is a list of places off limits including bars.

Gun must be securely encased and not readily accessible. Console is fine.

I am not a lawyer.

Statutes:
    http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/ind...>Chapter%20790

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    As a Florida concealed carrier, I would say just dont go into the bar area. As in stay in the non bar areas. I am not a lawyer also, just never had a problem eating at restaurants that serve alcohol. Also you dont have to in my interpretation of the statues have to leave the weapon in the car, unless you are in a bar.
    As to the pulled over, I dont remember if Florida has you annouce if dealing with LEOs. I would still do it, infact everytime I have been approached by LEOs I tell them first thing.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

You will find FL much easier on CCW than GA...just a fact.

There are few places you cannot be armed while on vacation. Not sure about GA, but in FL you don't have to worry about churches, crowds, stores that sell alcohol, and restaurants with bars in them (Applebee's, etc.)...just stay out of the bar area. If in the restaurant part of Applebee's, you can even have a beer with dinner while armed (personal choice...a debated topic here, mixing alcohol and guns, but I digress), but again, just stay of the bar area of any restaurant.
    No open carry!
    If stopped, you do not have to notify the LEO of your firearm, but I would just out of courtesy. I think you will find FL LEO's pretty friendly when it comes to legally armed citizens.

You have your CCW permit so your weapon can be on your person or even between the seat and the console (if you desire) with a hat or some cover over it to conceal its view.

Stay armed...enjoy FL ...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

retsupt99 covered pretty much everything, but I would like to add that Florida as you know has reciprocity with Georgia so carry your firearm as you do in Georgia concealed of course.

As for Margaritaville @ City Walk I always carry when we go, DON'T leave your gun in the car or truck.

Have a great time!
    e

Everything has pretty much been covered as far as carry goes in Fl. Come on down and enjoy, for the most part we're easy going down here.
    The sheepdog is both blessed and cursed with the capacity for violence, and a profound love for the flock. This is what makes the warrior different from the wolf.
    -Dave Grossman

Thumbs up

Purdue54

After 42 years of driving, my first LE stop! Positive

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Situation: My wife and I were returning from the beach in Destin, FL. We had just crossed the causeway heading north doing 34 MPH in a 35 MPH zone. 1 County patrol had a vehicle stopped along the side of the road with another patrol 200 feet closer sitting on the grass to the right, obviously taking radar. How else would I know that I was going 34 MPH! I got over in the middle turn lane and passed both cars because of the new law in GA requires you to "move over" when you pass emergency vehicles. Next thing I know is here comes the other patrol after somebody....me. I pull over, "Pull completely off the roadway" bellows from his loud speaker. I am now completely on the grass. I grap my wallet to get my DL, MIL ID and my GA Firearms License, and also retrieve my vehicle registration and proof of insurance. Oh, by the way, I'm carrying a XD 40 subcompact in a belly band, cross draw, and my BUG is in my right front jeans pocket. "Do you know why I pulled you over?" I really didn't have a clue. "You were going 34 in a 35 MPH zone. However, this is considered a 2 lane hwy even with a center turn lane. In this case you should have been going 20 MPH under the posted speed limit of 35." I did the math, that's a slooooow 15 MPH. I said, "we have a similar law in GA and I thought I'd gotten over far enough to protect the stopped vehicles." He then looked at my GA DL, MIL ID, and GA Firearms License. He then ask, "what are you carrying?" I told him an XD 40 subcompact and pointed to it. He replied, "don't touch it and keep your hands in plain sight." Of course, I did as instructed. He then proceeded to run my stuff and returns. He gives back my documents and says, "I am going to give you a warning this time." I thanked him and headed home. My wife, who was fit to be tied, lit into the patrol by accusing him of stopping only out of towners. Oh, I forgot to mention that the other stopped vehicle was from Indiana and every vehicle passing us while we were pulled over should have been going 15 MPH...NOT!! Don't know why we just got a warning but having my documents in order and not arguing with the patrol may have helped. Of course, my GA Veterans license plates and my ARMY, Marine, Ranger Assn, USAMU Shooting team and NRA Life member stickers may have helped too. We'll really never know. I just hope it takes another 42 years to get stopped again, that will make me 100! Being a hard headed Army Colonel (RET), I would have contested the ticket. What else do I have to do besides shoot and go to the beach?!!

Retired Army, Infantry
    NRA Life Member

FYI above info about passing an emergency vehicle along side of a "2 lane" road. GA's move over is similar but doesn't have the 20 MPH under exception. Hooah
    Courage: "Do not follow where the path may lead...go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Retired Army, Infantry
    NRA Life Member

Search Traveling with firearms. I traveled from NY to Florida with Jet blue and that was easy. It got to be easier driving than flying.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I don't open carry, as I know it would draw too many stares. I don't plan on getting stopped, but you never know. I'll make sure to inform the LEO if I do. As for the bars, I don't plan on going into one of them. Little too old and my son is a little too young, lol. Just can't pass up Jimmy's place!

Purdue, thanks for the info on that. I am aware of the GA move over, but did not know that. It's good to know. I've got a lot of friends who are LEO's and their favorite moto around here is "come on vacation, leave on probation". They have a bit of a reputation..

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You will find FL much easier on CCW than GA...just a fact.

Stay armed...enjoy FL ...stay safe!
    And I would add "spend lots of your money".

Tourists are the reason Florida doesn't have a state income tax.

Links