Concealed Carry on Campus

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry on Campus within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In Missouri as best as I can interpret CCW is legal on a University campus if you have the permission of the Chief of Security ...

In Missouri as best as I can interpret CCW is legal on a University campus if you have the permission of the Chief of Security for that school. Has anyone attempted writing a letter asking permission for this, maybe not in Missouri, but any letter asking permission to carry in a 'usually' no carry zone?

I'm looking for ideas and maybe help with wording.

Thanks for any help.

It's not the Chief of police, but the Board of Trustees of the school that has to approve CCW. As far as I know, no school in Missouri allows CCW. You probably know that the Missouri House has approved HB 668 which would allow CCW on campus. It still has to go through the house where its fate is unknown. The Governor has vowed to veto it if it ever gets to his desk.

stjoenews.net | Guns on campus?

I got to Mizzou, and good luck with getting anyone at this school to allow it. As the jayhawk said, there is currently a bill in the MO house that would allow carry on every public campus, and lower the age from 23 to 21. I'm really hoping that this bill goes through. I would wait to see what happens with this bill before you go sending any letter, or they're likely to say your a terrorist and try and expell you. Just my .02...and I don't like the Jayhawks.
    -Cody-

HK USP Tactical 45
    HK P2000SK .40, LEM, Night Sights

I read somewhere 'With the permission of the Chief of Security'.

Maybe it was in my school's manual.

We don't have to get ugly about our schools do we? No offense - The MU-KU distaste will never die.

I would agree with the HKkid. I work at a college in MO, and I doubt your letter would come across well. Plus since the Trustees are the ones that decide, they essentially would have to allow CCW for the entire school. Your letter will probably cause you a lot of grief with very little in the way of a positive outcome. Wait for the bill. There is no vote scheduled in the senate yet, but hopefully it will be sooner rather than later. The real problem is the Governor. If he vetoes it, then there will need to be a 2/3 majority to override it. That's a pretty tall order...

You guys are right, why should I bother trying to get the ability to protect myself while I work?? I'll just wait for my super awesome trustworthy lawmen to make that decision for me.

Like I said - I work at a college too. I'd love to be able to carry at work, but the likelihood of that happening at my school without a law requiring the Trustees to comply is next to nil.

However, there is no law against asking. If you think you can pull it off then I say go for it. You certainly know your place of work better than I. Best of luck to you.

Haha no man, I had to. Couldn't help myself.

Harv, I would love to be able to protect myself at school, but I also don't want MUPD watching me like a hawk b/c I asked to carry a gun. I know there are students that do it anyway, I just would rather not take that chance and have to deal with the repercussions. Nobody is telling you to not protect yourself, we are just trying to basically lay things out for you. If you feel that you have a chance then do it and I hope it works out. I'd love for it to spread all over the state.
    -Cody-

HK USP Tactical 45
    HK P2000SK .40, LEM, Night Sights

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Here's the way the current Missouri statute reads:

571.107 571.107. 1. A concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 or a concealed carry endorsement or permit issued by another state or political subdivision of another state shall authorize the person in whose name the permit or endorsement is issued to carry concealed firearms on or about his or her person or vehicle throughout the state. No driver's license or nondriver's license containing a concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 or a concealed carry endorsement or permit issued by another state or political subdivision of another state shall authorize any person to carry concealed firearms into:

(10) Any higher education institution or elementary or secondary school facility without the consent of the governing body of the higher education institution or a school official or the district school board. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of any higher education institution or elementary or secondary school facility shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;

And yes, HB668 still has an uphill fight. We don't know what the Senate will do with it or if they will even bring it up. If it does pass the Senate the Governor is still going to be a problem.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harvthesecon View Post
    In Missouri as best as I can interpret CCW is legal on a University campus if you have the permission of the Chief of Security for that school. Has anyone attempted writing a letter asking permission for this, maybe not in Missouri, but any letter asking permission to carry in a 'usually' no carry zone?

I'm looking for ideas and maybe help with wording.

Thanks for any help.
    FWIW, I feel your pain. I live in IN and go to school in KY and school is the only place I can't carry. It sucks, but I don't think I would write a letter. Not because I fear any repercussions, but because I think it would be a waste of time.

Links