New to CC, had a ??

This is a discussion on New to CC, had a ?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently purchased my first pistol and received my CCL. With the ammo shortage I have only been able to put about 20 rounds through ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to CC, had a ??

New to CC, had a ??

I recently purchased my first pistol and received my CCL. With the ammo shortage I have only been able to put about 20 rounds through it. I have very limited pistol experience but have been shooting shotgun and 22lr for years, so I am familiar with the 4 rules & gun safety. My question is, with my limited handgun experience is it ok to carry or should I wait until I am able to practice more? I have been practicing my draw and aim, just don't have the extra ammo required to spend time at the range.

Thanks,
    MT
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

2. Remove Ads

While you should practice as much as possible, Im not going to fault you for carrying and exercising your right to self defense.

There is no requirement anyone should make on you before you excercise your right to personal protection.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I would carry, but realize that you are shooting to stop or get away from the BG. Also Cover is your friend
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I'm personally and advocate of 500 rounds of ammo to break the gun in followed by 200 rounds of my chosen carry ammo with no malfunctions.

If the gun malfunctions I fix that problem and then start over at round 1 with my carry ammo. Given your situation, and that you don't have other handguns to fall back on for carrying I would encourage you to shoot as much as you can, but at least put 250 rounds through your gun before trusting it with 100 rounds being your chosen carry ammo.

I don't start trusting an autoloader until I'm pushing the 1,000 round mark, but that's just me and my expiriences. I don't trust any gun 100% and mine are reliable. I always carry spare ammo and usually a BUG too.

Good luck.

Biker

Carry but make sure you practice as much and often as time, money and ammo availabilty will allow. My $.02
    2A is not negotiable

Exclamation My 2 cents...

Congrats on your new permit and firearm...

Now go out and put at least 200 rounds downrange in order to break in the gun you're trusting your life to.

And then practice presentation (ie...drawing from concealment) with a UNLOADED(triple check) gun at at least 200 times before trying to do it loaded at a gun range...

Everytime I go to the gun range I always shoot my carry piece, especially the first round in the mag...the one that gets the most abuse from loading and unloading the chamber...and then I clean and lube the piece for carry until the next range visit. Works for me...
    SHOOTER13
    ================
    DoD: Peace thru Superior Firepower

Although I agree with practice and breakin, if your options are cary & not cary, then by all means carry! Having an untested gun is still better than none at all! My $.02

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    I would carry, but realize that you are shooting to stop or get away from the BG. Also Cover is your friend
    +1. You have had some pistol experience, and you've put 20 shots down range with your new carry. Go for it -- just don't try any head shots at 25 yards yet! Seriously, while we all would like 100% certainty in both our weapons and our selves, there's no guarantee. I can put 1000 flawless rounds down the pipe, and have the 1001st fail (see the other thread where the factory ammo case blew out). I would rather carry, and get more comfortable over time, than not carry at all. Most any production gun nowadays is 99.5% reliable and accurate out of the box. In the .0001% of the times I will need it, I'd rather trust my life to a 99.5% chance of being successful than a 0% by not carrying.

I would go ahead and carry. Practice as much as possiible when ammo is available. Also, make yourself very familiar with your states concealed carry laws.

You have some familiarity with firearms so I do not think that is the concern. The concern would be for the relaibility of your chosen weapon. I think it takes at the very least 200-300 rounds to trust its performance more if a breaking in period is required for a new gun. For revolvers I think that the time can be considerably less. That is not written in stone but for me its a basic guide.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Whay brand of pistol??
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I'm going to buck the trend here and advise that you not carry until you've had a chance to practice a bit more. There isn't a magic round count that makes you qualified, it's the rate that you progress in your comfort level of shooting a certain gun. You may be fine after a few hundred rounds or it may take a thousand. You run the risk of trying to respond to a threat under stress and if you're not familiar with the actions you run a big chance of injuring yourself or others. That coupled with exposing yourself as a threat to the bad guy could cost you and your family far more than the cost of training.

Just an old instructors point of view.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeytown View Post
    I recently purchased my first pistol and received my CCL. With the ammo shortage I have only been able to put about 20 rounds through it. I have very limited pistol experience but have been shooting shotgun and 22lr for years, so I am familiar with the 4 rules & gun safety. My question is, with my limited handgun experience is it ok to carry or should I wait until I am able to practice more? I have been practicing my draw and aim, just don't have the extra ammo required to spend time at the range.

Thanks,
    MT
    How much training and previous experience with a handgun do you have. If that's the only 20 rounds you've ever fired, I would say you're not ready, my .02.
    I also agree your pistol with only 20 rounds through it isn't ready either.
    Just because you've bought a guitar, doesn't mean you know how to play it. Silly comparison granted, but food for thought.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

VIP Member
    Carrying a new gun that you haven't personally broken in is not recommended, however with the ammo situation as it is right now finding ammo is difficult. Have you looked on line for ammo? It is available, just not as easy as it had been to find.

I would say if you are familiar with firearms as you say then you will be fine to carry. Also dont think the only way you can practice is firing live rounds downrange. Dry fire is said to be an excellent way to practice with your handgun and better then livefrie in someways.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links