CC Question!!!

CC Question!!!

This is a discussion on CC Question!!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know that in TX when you are carrying you have to have the gun completely covered. My question is do you have to have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CC Question!!!

CC Question!!!

I know that in TX when you are carrying you have to have the gun completely covered. My question is do you have to have a spare mag covered? Or can you have it in a mag pouch on your belt like a leatherman would be?

I think CC only refers to the gun.

My question would be, unless it is a covered mag pouch that doesn't allow someone to see the mag, why would you want to expose your mag pouch or have an exposed mag pouch on your belt? Concealed means concealed and an exposed mag in a pouch only draws attention and puts a sign on you that says: "I'm carrying". But, perhaps I didn't understand the question.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

+1 First Sgt.

What I am talking about is if you are carrying inside the waistband tucked, and you want an extra mag but do not have a tuckable mag pouch. I am thinking that most people will just glance a see a black thing they won't look close enough to realize that it is a pistol magazine turned upside down. Would that be legal?

Quote Originally Posted by wine6978 View Post
    What I am talking about is if you are carrying inside the waistband tucked, and you want an extra mag but do not have a tuckable mag pouch. I am thinking that most people will just glance a see a black thing they won't look close enough to realize that it is a pistol magazine turned upside down. Would that be legal?
    Yes the only requirement is that the gun has to be concealed,not ammo pouches
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

There are no laws about carrying mags. My advice is that as long as the mag pouch looks like a multi-tool sheath or cell phone case, nobody would even think twice about it. You don't want to take chances with giving away the fact that you are armed, so be careful.

On a related matter, Homeland Security treats an unloaded magazine as a gun part. They confiscated my empty magazine that I had in my briefcase, and later I received a "Don't do that anymore" letter from them.

If a state follows the Homeland Security interpretation, then it might well treat the magazine as a part of the gun, and thus not concealed.

Easy solution: Use a small cell phone holster that does not in effect yell "I have a gun, and this is my spare magazine."

VIP Member
    for CHL law puposes....you won't break the law by doing this

for tactical purposes....find some kind of holster/holder for the mag
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    My question would be, unless it is a covered mag pouch that doesn't allow someone to see the mag, why would you want to expose your mag pouch or have an exposed mag pouch on your belt? Concealed means concealed and an exposed mag in a pouch only draws attention and puts a sign on you that says: "I'm carrying".
    I agree with First Sgt.

I keep my spare mag in a IWB mag holder so it is easily concealed like my gun.

Keeping your spare mag exposed on your belt will only drawn unwanted attention. Don't want to cause the to freak out.
    "No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
    -Thomas Jefferson-

+1 on using cell phone pouches. I've been using one for tucked-shirt wear, and people don't see a thing. As more and more electronic equipment becomes pocket-size, it's increasingly normal to have stuff on the belt anyway, so one more pouch isn't going to attract attention.

On the other hand, it can get awkward if someone asks to see your "phone" for a moment.
    Life is about choices. One who chooses to attack without cause has also chosen to accept whatever defensive measures his target has readied. If this includes violence and death, so be it.

G26--->Supertuck

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joel8x View Post
    There are no laws about carrying mags. My advice is that as long as the mag pouch looks like a multi-tool sheath or cell phone case, nobody would even think twice about it. You don't want to take chances with giving away the fact that you are armed, so be careful.
    A couple of years ago, when I bought my Glock 26, one of the mailorder Glock catalogs had a nice horizontal magazine holster, that looked just like a multitool holster. I bought one, and it's great. Doesn't look at all like a magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by wine6978 View Post
    I am thinking that most people will just glance a see a black thing they won't look close enough to realize that it is a pistol magazine turned upside down.
    Having dropped mags, speedloaders and speed strips in various public places, I'd have to agree that the general public doesn't see anything they don't want to see. OTOH, the people you want the element of surprise against are much more likely to notice.

i use a leatherman sheath as a ammo pouch when i use my iwb holster with my shirt tucked in
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

Easy solution: Use a small cell phone holster that does not in effect yell "I have a gun, and this is my spare magazine."

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and already I've learned a valuable tidbit of information. Since I'm large around the waist spare mags aren't always comfortable. The cellphone case solves that problem for me.
    Faith Alone in Christ Alone!!
    M&P 357c in a UBG Canute or Striker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links