Transporting on school property-NC - Page 2

Transporting on school property-NC

This is a discussion on Transporting on school property-NC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lesson learned. Thank you....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transporting on school property-NC

Lesson learned. Thank you.

Until you are certain of your particular state laws it's safe to assume that you should NEVER carry a handgun onto school property of any level of education.

In the vast majority of states carrying a firearm onto school property you are asking for trouble. I wouldn't even think about it here in Las Vegas.

Be certain to check the local laws with regard do carrying guns onto school grounds.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by divkat9 View Post
    About a year ago a parent was arrested in Pitt county for carrying concealed on school property. Charges were dismissed because according to the report "there was no ill intent"

ETA- the book says it's illegal, this particular person got lucky.
    I think he got lucky for a couple of reasons. He was a very elderly gentleman on grounds concerning a grandchild student. And when he admitted (during an innocent conversation to a school employee) that a gun was locked in his car, school officials went berserk and went into lockdown. Then, I think Greenville SWAT and every reporter with a pencil and Brownie camera showed up. The over reaction to the whole situation made the school and responders look kind of foolish in front of the cameras. Even local sentiment in the newspaper comments were strongly in favor of the gun owner.
    BTW, he was cuffed and briefly detained, but I'm not sure that charges were ever placed against him.

Anyway, I would never suggest anyone enter school property while having a firearm in possession, even empty and locked in a trunk.

As answered above, unless one is a person exempted under GS 14-269(b), one cannot carry under any circumstances at a school of any kind in NC (that includes unloaded weapons locked in vehicles on school property). The best one can hope for is a misdemeanor charge, but under many circumstances its a Class I felony.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Quote Originally Posted by Resto Guy View Post
    I think he got lucky for a couple of reasons. He was a very elderly gentleman on grounds concerning a grandchild student. And when he admitted (during an innocent conversation to a school employee) that a gun was locked in his car, school officials went berserk and went into lockdown. Then, I think Greenville SWAT and every reporter with a pencil and Brownie camera showed up. The over reaction to the whole situation made the school and responders look kind of foolish in front of the cameras. Even local sentiment in the newspaper comments were strongly in favor of the gun owner.
    BTW, he was cuffed and briefly detained, but I'm not sure that charges were ever placed against him.

Anyway, I would never suggest anyone enter school property while having a firearm in possession, even empty and locked in a trunk.

Ah, good to know the rest of the story- the Reflector seemed vague in the article I read. I used to have it saved but that's been some time ago. I don't believe charges were placed, or if they were they were dropped shortly thereafter.
    And I agree with your suggestion- that gentleman was extremely fortunate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links