Do you carry or want to carry?

This is a discussion on Do you carry or want to carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I’ll have to say I agree with you somewhat. The greatest weapon any of us have is out mind, and ability to use the tools ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you carry or want to carry?

I’ll have to say I agree with you somewhat.

The greatest weapon any of us have is out mind, and ability to use the tools we have at hand. A Kel-Tek 380 in your pocket beats the nightmare of a full size 45 being back in the car when you need it the most.

But, one who wishes to carry a pocket gun must also know its limitations, and being very accurate with one, is only the start. Under pressure we do not rise up to meet the challenge but rather we are only about 50-70 percent as good as we are at the range. So besides practicing a bunch with a mouse gun, those who carry one must have a basic understanding of human anatomy and the ability of their mouse gun to impact those areas.

Regardless of what weapon you carry, all of us need the ability and knowledge of basic H2H, for when the chips are down it is irreplaceable.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    I’ll have to say I agree with you somewhat.

The greatest weapon any of us have is out mind, and ability to use the tools we have at hand. A Kel-Tek 380 in your pocket beats the nightmare of a full size 45 being back in the car when you need it the most.

But, one who wishes to carry a pocket gun must also know its limitations, and being very accurate with one, is only the start. Under pressure we do not rise up to meet the challenge but rather we are only about 50-70 percent as good as we are at the range. So besides practicing a bunch with a mouse gun, those who carry one must have a basic understanding of human anatomy and the ability of their mouse gun to impact those areas.

Regardless of what weapon you carry, all of us need the ability and knowledge of basic H2H, for when the chips are down it is irreplaceable.
    I say, get the .45 out of the car and carry it.

+1 on H2H. In a lot of situations you are not justified in drawing your weapon yet, but someone is close and if they grab you, you may have to defend yourself with empty hands until you can create distance and present your firearm.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK23FAN View Post
    There are many different scenarios I could get into, but say you were in a restaurant with your family one day and some wacko decided to come in and open fire on innocent people because he had a bad day. Then you realize you left your gun at home because it was "too heavy or too big". Where does that leave you?? Up the creek, that's where! You could have stopped that person and saved lives (maybe your own even) but didn't have your gun. If you are unarmed, you don't have any options! I'm sure you get my point.
    Playing devil's advocate here. But, personally. I think it's this kind of thinking that will get you killed whether you carry a gun or not.

Think of all of the people who live in states where they can't carry a gun. They are presented with this kind of scenario and told, "You don't have any options!" and they believe it. So, instead of coming up with something, ANYTHING to save themselves or their loved ones they lay down, cower in a corner and let the worst come because, after all, that's what they expect.

Sorry, not for me.

I will have options, gun or no gun, until they are wheeling me to the morgue.

I don't care if I have to run, start throwing salt and pepper shakers, chairs and small animals, I'm not going down without a fight and people shouldn't be told they have no options if they don't have a gun. It's just not true.

A gun is a tool, nothing more. It can't replace the brain, or the will to live. If your will to live is dependent on whether or not you have a firearm then I shudder to think of what would happen on the day you can't have a firearm or run out of bullets.

I agree with the rest of your points however. Well, said!

I don't and won't carry anything smaller than a J frame .38 Special revolver. Other than when I exercise in hot weather, there's no time when I couldn't carry that or indeed a full sized auto or a K frame revolver.

I sometimes wonder how people dress that they can't carry a full sized M1911 IWB.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Playing devil's advocate here. But, personally. I think it's this kind of thinking that will get you killed whether you carry a gun or not.

Think of all of the people who live in states where they can't carry a gun. They are presented with this kind of scenario and told, "You don't have any options!" and they believe it. So, instead of coming up with something, ANYTHING to save themselves or their loved ones they lay down, cower in a corner and let the worst come because, after all, that's what they expect.

Sorry, not for me.

I will have options, gun or no gun, until they are wheeling me to the morgue.

I don't care if I have to run, start throwing salt and pepper shakers, chairs and small animals, I'm not going down without a fight and people shouldn't be told they have no options if they don't have a gun. It's just not true.

A gun is a tool, nothing more. It can't replace the brain, or the will to live. If your will to live is dependent on whether or not you have a firearm then I shudder to think of what would happen on the day you can't have a firearm or run out of bullets.
    Excellent post! You are right, it's a mindset thing.

very good post, I concur 100 per cent
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I have posted several times that if I had to carry a steel 5" 1911 I would seldom carry.
    I often carry a KT 380, and I do practice weekly and fire from 100 - 200 rounds of .45 and .22 or whatever suits me that week. I have not been practicing that much for several months due to a serious ilness, but am getting to the range some now.

There are, IMO, so many better choices than a full size 1911 that I just don't carry one. My carry guns are a G 26. Kahr P9, 640, 642, and a SA Compact LW 1911 in addition to the KT 3AT.

I realize that opinions vary, but anyone who states that those who carry mouse guns or find a full size 1911 too heavy and bulky is ignorant or does not practice is just "blowing smoke."

Regards,
    Jerry

A hit with a 22 is far better than a miss with a 45...

Quote Originally Posted by ginzotech View Post
    A hit with a 22 is far better than a miss with a 45...
    Agree. I have dropped my Titan .25 in my pocket just to have something other than my pocket knife and stellar martial arts skills.

I do take a Rossi .38spl or a S&W 9mm depending on the situation when I go out. The first is smaller frame, easier to conceal. The Smith is a bit bigger and I must take extra precaution to conceal it.

Whatever works for you though, go with it.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I tried a Keltec p32 for some weeks... for the money I was happy enough but the size of the .32acp round only galvanized me to get a S&W J-frame 640, it's loaded dwith .38special +P (federal)... I have not found myself in a situation where it was hard to carry it and I would not consider anything less than that... I know some people carry a .25acp but when you see a video of people being shot multiple times in the face at point blank range with a .25 and it's doing very little damage (imagine if that were a perp with a knife stabbing you or a relative?), then I would not bet my life on something like that... though it's better than nothing, that's not saying anything substantial when they are pocket guns in .380, 38spc and 9mm that are unquestionably more effective... today there are many options on the market if someone was actually interested in looking.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I carry a gun because I know crime can take place even in the most "safest" areas of town. I nearly got stabbed to death by an intoxicated man three years ago, and got lucky when I realized I had left my small revolver in my coat pocket after leaving the range the previous day. I am willing to put up with the slight discomfort of that extra 20+ ounces on my belt. Usually when I enter the safety of my home, I take off my carry gun and put it behind my pillow on a shelf that is part of my head board, still holstered. Some people may feel they don't need to carry a gun all the time, that is their decision. My decision to carry whenever and wherever legal is my own, because as mentioned before, criminals do not make appointments with anyone, and my ability to predict the future is none. Also as I get older my left hip is going to get worse, I just know it, and I definitely won't be able to put up a fight.

Even though I have a .38 caliber J Frame I still carry my G19 almost all the time.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I carry a P3AT - and only get to the range every week or so. I still point & shoot quickly, the way my grandfather taught me, and after more than 55 years of shooting, I may not be as fast as I was but I ain't slow - and I can still get every shot within an 8" circle at 15' when I am in a hurry.
    Since I'm 5'4", 132 lbs, 70+ yrs of age - I only carry one gun and seldom even an extra mag - if I expected a battle & to need 20 or 30 rounds of ammo - I'd take my shotgun & maybe a couple of my grandsons. I agree with the guy who said it is more important to be alert, & aware of everything around you.

You make some very valid points. I think it is prudent to carry anything that will give you a better chance to defend yourself and love ones.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

JerryM - I wish you a speedy recovery. My point was that if someone decides that they need to carry to protect their lives, they should realize and accept that carrying an effective firearm is going to entail a certain amount of discomfort. Carrying a mouse gun when you could carry a more effective weapon simply because it is more comfortable is childish.

We are talking about lives here.

Comfort takes a back seat.

I subscribe to Murphy's Law.. The key word here is concealed. If concealed correctly, 9 out of 10 people won't know you are carrying anyway
    If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.
    Sun Tzu

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links