Do you carry or want to carry?

This is a discussion on Do you carry or want to carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by GreenHorn I could carry my 5" kimber, but I would have to tell everyone that it is just a large inoperable tumor. ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 91

Thread: Do you carry or want to carry?

  1. #31
    Member Array Dakota97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southeast
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHorn View Post
    I could carry my 5" kimber, but I would have to tell everyone that it is just a large inoperable tumor.
    Well, that depends on the concealment I guess. I have carried full sized 1911 for over 30 years and have never been approached. Now maybe it was seen and ignored (and I may get stopped tomorrow!!) but no one has ever approached me about it and I am around LEOs quite frequently. A 1911 with a proper holster and a good belt is pretty easy to carry for many people. Others may not feel comfortable or be able to conceal it.
    NRA life member.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #32
    Member Array MrGlock45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central, PA
    Posts
    115
    I agree with you Dakota...I carried a stainless, Colt Combat Commander for years, with a Browning BDA 380 (14 shots) as a BUG....I no longer own anything but Glocks...so my primary carry is a G21SF with GNS, and a G30SF with GNS for my BUG...it's not an either or it's both....(as well as 2-G21 mags.) I've carried for 35 yrs now. I always dress around my carry pieces, as I'd rather do that than have to carry a gun that isn't up for whatever task may be asked of it. I am often around LEO, and although some know I always carry, I have never been made or asked if I was carrying by anyone, LEO or others. I agree that having some kind of gun is better than nothing...but if I can carry what I do on my 5'7", 180lb frame so can virtually anyone else who wants to CC on a daily basis. Sorry if this was too long of a post. Be safe all of you.
    USCCA/DEFENSIVE HANDGUNS
    GSSA/NRA
    DEFENSIVE CARRY
    GLOCK TALK
    PAFOA/American Gun Owners

  4. #33
    Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,988
    Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    JerryM - I wish you a speedy recovery. My point was that if someone decides that they need to carry to protect their lives, they should realize and accept that carrying an effective firearm is going to entail a certain amount of discomfort. Carrying a mouse gun when you could carry a more effective weapon simply because it is more comfortable is childish.

    We are talking about lives here.

    Comfort takes a back seat.
    HI United93,

    Thanks, and I am making a good recovery.
    I disagree that one must carry a heavy gun to be protected. I consider that I am as well protected with my G26 or Kahr P9 with the best ammo ( I carry Fed HST or Win Ranger T) as with a full size 1911. I don't think I am undergunned with the guns I carry incl .38 SPL .357, and even my .380. Each of us makes the decision and trade offs.

    It may be childish, but some of us will not put up with much discomfort for several hours or a day. And in my view there is no reason to do so. I won't carry a gun that is uncomfortable. Somehow I have lived through a few years of that attitude. A gun can be both comfortable and comforting.

    Considering the miniscule liklihood of ever needing a gun for protection, I am willing to take the risk with a KT P3AT instead of a full size 1911.

    I might add that I know several LEOs who do not carry. I asked one at church a couple of Sundays ago why he did not carry off duty. (His duty gun is a 5 inch Kimber.) He said he got tired of carrying the gun all day, and did not want to carry it off duty. Of course, I did tell him he should get a Kahr P9 to carry off duty. Since he is on the SWAT team, has seen more than average violence, and does not think he needs to carry off duty, I believe that my guns are more than adequate.

    Thanks again, and I appreciate the post.

    Regards,
    Jerry

  5. #34
    VIP Member Array sgtD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,292
    I used to carry all the time and want to carry now, but alas I'm in school 5 days a week so no carry for me from 8AM - 4PM. The rest of the time I'm packin, except in church on Sunday cause it's not allowed in KS.

    So I gues I split my time between carrying and wanting to carry these days. Though, not by choice.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

  6. #35
    Ex Member Array PNUT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    913
    I keep a weapon on me or within arms reach unless I'm in the shower or engaged in my favorite sport.
    even then at least one in close by.

  7. #36
    Senior Member Array elkhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Playing devil's advocate here. But, personally. I think it's this kind of thinking that will get you killed whether you carry a gun or not.

    Think of all of the people who live in states where they can't carry a gun. They are presented with this kind of scenario and told, "You don't have any options!" and they believe it. So, instead of coming up with something, ANYTHING to save themselves or their loved ones they lay down, cower in a corner and let the worst come because, after all, that's what they expect.

    Sorry, not for me.

    I will have options, gun or no gun, until they are wheeling me to the morgue.

    I don't care if I have to run, start throwing salt and pepper shakers, chairs and small animals, I'm not going down without a fight and people shouldn't be told they have no options if they don't have a gun. It's just not true.

    A gun is a tool, nothing more. It can't replace the brain, or the will to live. If your will to live is dependent on whether or not you have a firearm then I shudder to think of what would happen on the day you can't have a firearm or run out of bullets.

    I agree with the rest of your points however. Well, said!
    First, welcome back Lima, it's good to see you on the forum again.
    I agree that you are never out of options, until your dead.

    On those occasions when I have to disarm and go to the airport, get in an airplane and defy gravity to some far off location, even in the "friendly skies" there are options. Ever take time to notice where the fire extinguishers are? They have to be accessible ya know. There are several options in an airliner cabin. (Just don't tell Osama.)

    Also, one last point, I once heard someone say "better the pea-shooter in your pocket than the cannon in your car."

    Personally, I prefer the cannon IWB.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

    “The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

  8. #37
    VIP Member Array Pikachu711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    2,461
    Do I want to carry? Yes, I most certainly do whenever possible. I'm a firm believer in carrying wherever it's legal to do so. I do it now as a CCW permitee almost 2 months. I did it the first 2 years as an armed security officer. A handgun is simply a "tool" that I use for various reasons.

    I moved to Vegas in 1985 and started working as an armed security officer for 2 years. This was the first time I had ever carried a gun for a living. At first I found it quite exciting to be paid to carry a gun. After the first few weeks the handgun just became part of the uniform. It was just something that I came to accept as a "tool" that was part of the job.

    Now I'm a CCW permitee and I'm in the same mindset. My Glock 26 is just something that I carry for my self protection. To quote a song I can't recall, "the thrill is gone..." so now I just put my G26 on as something that is part of getting dressed each day.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

  9. #38
    Member Array GLOCK23FAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    JerryM - I wish you a speedy recovery. My point was that if someone decides that they need to carry to protect their lives, they should realize and accept that carrying an effective firearm is going to entail a certain amount of discomfort. Carrying a mouse gun when you could carry a more effective weapon simply because it is more comfortable is childish.

    We are talking about lives here.

    Comfort takes a back seat.
    Define mouse gun? I've seen people live with two shots from a .45 and I have seen people die with one shot from a .22. Also, because someone carries a lesser caliber than you do doesn't make them any less of a person. I don't see it as childish. They are still carrying a weapon and exercising their 2nd amendment right.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

    GLOCK 23..........Beretta 96..........Mossberg 500A..........Winchester 30-30..........S&W M&P

    I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6!

  10. #39
    VIP Member Array Blackeagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    2,147
    Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK23FAN View Post
    Define mouse gun? I've seen people live with two shots from a .45 and I have seen people die with one shot from a .22.
    Whether they live or die is not really relevant. The goal in self defense is not to kill the assailant, but to stop them as quickly as possible. Plenty of people have been killed by mortally wounded assailants.

  11. #40
    VIP Member
    Array Saber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona
    Posts
    2,591
    First off, this is an excellent thread with great comments. However, it appears as though the topic got derailed into “size matters” rather than carry/don’t carry, which I believe was your original point. Anyway, I agree that if we have it; we should carry it and not leave it elsewhere. Be it a mouse or lion, it’s still a weapon that’s capable of stopping a lethal act against my loved ones or me. Now, as stated in other threads I’m no sheepdog to strangers
    (been there - done that) unless suddenly, the circumstances change or my sub-conscious compels me to do otherwise.

    Back on point, I would feel quite vulnerable in public without protection. You know, that feeling you get when you’re half-way to town and then you realize you left your wallet or cell phone on the kitchen counter. It's sorta affects me in the same way and no; I don't always notice those signs "No Protection Allowed" in non-governmental buildings.
    Regards,
    Last edited by Saber; April 25th, 2009 at 11:12 AM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

  12. #41
    Member Array mamakennedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Rexburg, ID
    Posts
    266
    I made the decision to carry after my son was born, and I realized how many people seem to think that a newborn or small child is public property. I have long since lost count of how many time I have had to tell complete strangers not to touch my son...a few haven't seen a problem with walking over and picking him up right out of the cart at the grocery store.

    So far I have been very lucky and have been able to deal with all encounters with very direct clear cut directions to get away from my son, but just in case one day I come across that one person who will not respond to my verbal directions I want a way to back them up IMMEDIATELY! I don't want to have to wait for the police to show up(2-5 minutes or longer), take my statement (another 2-5 minutes), and then start looking for my child who at that point in time could be outside of town, or who knows what...

    Now I haven't had the chance to get my CWP yet, because birth control doesn't work And we are due the first part of June, but I have bought a Kel Tec 380 for its concealment and the fact that I'm new to handguns and have broken my wrist a few times. Also, I have searched out a CWP class at our local range and informed my husband the if he would like to go on a date, we can go to the range at least twice a month...and that we are getting a family membership to the range, and he will be getting his CWP also.

    So far, he has agreed with my plan, but only wants to carry once in a while...with two little ones in my care most of the day I plan to carry everywhere that it is legal.

  13. #42
    Ex Member Array United93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    911
    I am sorry if I gave anyone the impression that I did not think a 'pocket pistol' could be effective in a gun fight. The fact of the matter is that larger guns are MORE effective.

    When and if the SHTF, you will want as accurate, reliable, and powerful a gun as you can handle. You will not care about how it pokes you in the ribs when you lean over.
    Last edited by United93; April 25th, 2009 at 12:33 PM.

  14. #43
    Senior Member Array lance22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,031
    Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK23FAN View Post
    Many say that you should carry a large caliber gun. I say carry what is comfortable for you! Don't worry about what everyone says, they aren't the ones that will be carrying it. If you want to carry a small caliber, that is up to you. Something is better than nothing! While everyone agrees that a larger caliber has better stopping power, a .22, .25 or other small caliber can still be deadly with well placed shots!

    Also, have options of carry. Don't buy a large framed pistol if you are going have a problem carrying it EVERYDAY! Buy something that will fit you and your daily attire. What good is a gun and a carry permit if it's left at home or you didn't want to carry because it's just too big/heavy or you didn't feel you needed it that day?

    Us sheepdogs have the right to defend family/friends and the lives of others we don't even know. Lives can be saved by CCW'er's and it has been proven in many states and many different cases. But here's the thing, you need to have your gun on you in order for it to happen, right? You NEVER know when things are going to go south and that's a fact. It's our responsibility to help others in a life or death situation. I myself could not and would not walk away from someone in danger. If you have second thoughts about that, maybe you shouldn't carry a gun! That's just my opinion.

    There are many different scenarios I could get into, but say you were in a restaurant with your family one day and some wacko decided to come in and open fire on innocent people because he had a bad day. Then you realize you left your gun at home because it was "too heavy or too big". Where does that leave you?? Up the creek, that's where! You could have stopped that person and saved lives (maybe your own even) but didn't have your gun. If you are unarmed, you don't have any options! I'm sure you get my point.

    Of course you need good judgment and it is a very serious situation if you have to pull your gun and you should be ready for the physical and metal stress associated with it. All I am saying here is give yourself different options in regards to different carry rigs and smaller guns if that's what you need to carry EVERY DAY! It doesn't do yourself or anyone any good if your gun is locked up at home. Use your right to the fullest, be responsible and be safe!

    The reason that inspired this thread is because I got home from dropping my kids off at school and was talking with my neighbor. He carries as well. He said he was off to Tampa to take care of personal business. I asked him if he was armed and he said he didn't feel like he needed to be today. I will get off my soapbox now......thanks for reading!
    Amen.

  15. #44
    Member Array mamakennedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Rexburg, ID
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    I am sorry if I gave anyone the impression that I did not think a 'pocket pistol' could be effective in a gun fight. The fact of the matter is that larger guns are MORE effective.

    When and if the SHTF, you will want as accurate, reliable, and powerful a gun as you can possibly have. You will not care about how it pokes you in the ribs when you lean over.
    For myself I figured I'd start small and work my way up to the largest caliber I can accurately handle...and work build up my wrist strength in the process.

    If ever I do end up in a situation where I have to draw and fire on a BG, then I want to know that the BG is going down as fast as possible and not getting back up. So, small or large it comes down to what I can handle accurately. I'd love to have a .45, but I wouldn't get off more than 2-3 shots before I would have to switch hands and then I might hit a barn at 3' I'm working on that.

  16. #45
    VIP Member Array Blackeagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    2,147
    Quote Originally Posted by mamakennedy View Post
    Now I haven't had the chance to get my CWP yet, because birth control doesn't work And we are due the first part of June, but I have bought a Kel Tec 380 for its concealment and the fact that I'm new to handguns and have broken my wrist a few times.
    Little guns are difficult to shoot well. In particular the recoil tends to be pretty brisk, even with mild calibers like the .380. The round may not be very powerful, but the gun has very little mass to absorb the recoil. I'd say that a full size .45 would probably be easier for someone sensitive to recoil to shoot than a tiny .380 like the Kel-Tec. Have you tried shooting a larger, steel framed gun in 9mm or .45? The heavier the gun, the easier the recoil is going to be to handle.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Funny concealed carry with an obviously OPEN carry holster I saw today...
    By targus in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 19th, 2010, 06:09 PM