Do you carry or want to carry? - Page 4

Do you carry or want to carry?

This is a discussion on Do you carry or want to carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by United93 I am sorry if I gave anyone the impression that I did not think a 'pocket pistol' could be effective in ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    I am sorry if I gave anyone the impression that I did not think a 'pocket pistol' could be effective in a gun fight. The fact of the matter is that larger guns are MORE effective.

When and if the SHTF, you will want as accurate, reliable, and powerful a gun as you can possibly have. You will not care about how it pokes you in the ribs when you lean over.
    I'm sorry to disagree with you my friend. But I don't want the powerful a gun as you can possibly have and I sure don't advocate that to my family/friends. I advocate just like you when SHTF, you want a reliable, accurate and what you feel comfortable with or what you have trained with, size/power is only good if you can handle it. I want to control the weapon, not the other way around, that way when you light them up, your aim is straight and true.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by mamakennedy View Post
    Now I haven't had the chance to get my CWP yet, because birth control doesn't work
    Best excuse ever !!
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Choosing to carry concealed or for you in L.E. "Offduty" is a choice that comes with a comfort sacrifice. People who choose to carry just need to make this decision knowing full well at times it is literally a pain in the butt and live with it. Of all my off-duty handguns the two that are most comfortable to me are rounded off hammerless or shrouded hammered short barrel revolvers. To me they are easier as well to get out of a inside the pant holster than my semi's because of the "hook" of a revolver grip waiting to grab. I also have a couple of pocket guns like a fliptop Beretta 21A. Nine rounds of hypervelocity CCI Stingers in your face is nothing to underrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    I'm sorry to disagree with you my friend. But I don't want the powerful a gun as you can possibly have and I sure don't advocate that to my family/friends. I advocate just like you when SHTF, you want a reliable, accurate and what you feel comfortable with or what you have trained with, size/power is only good if you can handle it. I want to control the weapon, not the other way around, that way when you light them up, your aim is straight and true.
    Thank you for pointing out my (stupid) error. My post has duly been edited.

I would love to carry everyday. Unfortunately, I live on a college campus. So firearms are forbidden.

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    Best excuse ever !!
    paying for the next kid took precedent over buying a new gun...and I had to convince my husband that it was a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Little guns are difficult to shoot well. In particular the recoil tends to be pretty brisk, even with mild calibers like the .380. The round may not be very powerful, but the gun has very little mass to absorb the recoil. I'd say that a full size .45 would probably be easier for someone sensitive to recoil to shoot than a tiny .380 like the Kel-Tec. Have you tried shooting a larger, steel framed gun in 9mm or .45? The heavier the gun, the easier the recoil is going to be to handle.
    The way I broke my wrist was actually playing football...I went down and the person behind me stepped on my wrist as they went on down the field. But the way it broke resulted in not so much pain from the recoil of a hand gun but the ability to keep it level and steady. As long as I keep my wrist straight and steady I can shoot anything as least once, but I need the work of simply holding the gun and firing it over and over at the range.
    I'm doing some exercises to get it back up to par and work out the nerve and muscle damage. I do have my sight set on a the lighter Kel Tec 9mm and then I would like to get a M1911 in .45. Then my little 380 will get designated as a back up, or for times when concealment is a little harder.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHorn View Post
    To me, someone who only carries a mouse gun is not going to be willing to put in a lot of time at the range. I could be wrong, but that is my impression.

I carry a mouse gun, and yes I practice with it! Please don't "judge" those of us that carry something smaller as being inferior. Its not the size, its how its used!
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Perhaps you practice with it, but no matter how much you practice it will not be as effective as a larger gun that you practice with as much. So, I pose the question, why do you not carry a larger gun? If it is a comfort issue, you need to realize that carrying has to do with being able to save your life when the SHTF. A bigger gun will do that better.

BTW, isn't the weather up here great today? IMO, it's the best day so far this year.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    Perhaps you practice with it, but no matter how much you practice it will not be as effective as a larger gun that you practice with as much. So, I pose the question, why do you not carry a larger gun? If it is a comfort issue, you need to realize that carrying has to do with being able to save your life when the SHTF. A bigger gun will do that better.
    I'm sorry...did you read that somewhere??? Perhaps cut and paste...because it is so so missing the point about size, CCing, tactical and strategic defense. I suppose you would tell some that a fanny pack is worthless because it takes too long to get your weapon.

This smacks of my gun is bigger than yours...a "bigger gun" may not "do that better". (BTW...read about ammo too along the way)

bandit383 - A larger frame, larger caliber gun will be easier to shoot accurately, will hold more ammo, and will provide more 'stopping power' than the typical pocket gun (KT .380, say). Because of that, it is a superior combat weapon.
    The point on which it is inferior is comfortable concealment, and that con, to me, does not outweigh the pros.

Thank you all for the responses thus far. Been some really good discussion and some excellent points have been made. I didn't mean to "stir the pot" with this thread. No hard feelings....we are all on the same team!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

GLOCK 23..........Beretta 96..........Mossberg 500A..........Winchester 30-30..........S&W M&P

I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6!

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK23FAN View Post
    No hard feelings....we are all on the same team!
    You bet!

Gun Free Zones

Quote Originally Posted by BigD7 View Post
    I would love to carry everyday. Unfortunately, I live on a college campus. So firearms are forbidden.
    My heart goes out to you. When will the "anti-gun" people learn that "gun free" zones are a "target rich" environment for sick people with guns?
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    My heart goes out to you. When will the "anti-gun" people learn that "gun free" zones are a "target rich" environment for sick people with guns?
    Amen to that! There are some THICK HEADS in Washington!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

GLOCK 23..........Beretta 96..........Mossberg 500A..........Winchester 30-30..........S&W M&P

I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6!

True 'gun free zones' are the ones which are enforced and patroled. Anything less is a joke.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links