Do you carry or want to carry?

This is a discussion on Do you carry or want to carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No one is going to convince me that the best method of safeguarding our colleges is just with the "campus police." No offense intended to ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Do you carry or want to carry?

No one is going to convince me that the best method of safeguarding our colleges is just with the "campus police." No offense intended to those people who patrol college campuses. They have a difficult enough job as it is with the recent shootings we have all read about. God Bless these guys.

I currently have two nephews attending college back in Connecticut. I've already checked out their college website and guess what? They are a "gun free" zone. So this issue is near & dear to my heart!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

2. Remove Ads

What I meant in my last post was that the only real 'gun-free zone' is one where, physically, no one can bring a gun except the armed guards who patrol it. Metal detectors at the manned entrances, etc.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    bandit383 - A larger frame, larger caliber gun will be easier to shoot accurately, will hold more ammo, and will provide more 'stopping power' than the typical pocket gun (KT .380, say). Because of that, it is a superior combat weapon.
    The point on which it is inferior is comfortable concealment, and that con, to me, does not outweigh the pros.
    1) Shoot accurately...true dat at 25 yards or greater and stationary targets...not so true dat at 10 yards or less...where the threat is more than likely at and moving. Some do not have the wrist strength to move a larger weapon.

2) More ammo...true dat for an army of BGs...not so true dat when all it takes is one.

3) Stopping power...true dat at long range...not so true dat when inside 10 yards...stopping is stopping.

You mentioned a superior "combat" weapon...which leads me to believe you know what a superior "combat" weapon is. But we don't carry "combat" weapons now do we???

All weapons have a purpose and tactical usage.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    1) Shoot accurately...true dat at 25 yards or greater and stationary targets...not so true dat at 10 yards or less...where the threat is more than likely at and moving. Some do not have the wrist strength to move a larger weapon.
    Bigger guns are much easier to shoot accurately at any range. More mass and a decently sized grip make for better recoil control and faster follow up shots.

2) More ammo...true dat for an army of BGs...not so true dat when all it takes is one.
    It doesn't take an army to run some of these pocket guns out of ammo. Physically incapacitating someone with one round is the exception, not the rule.

3) Stopping power...true dat at long range...not so true dat when inside 10 yards...stopping is stopping.
    Range doesn't really have anything to do with it. Stopping power for most pistol rounds really isn't any different at 10 yards than it is at the muzzle.

Thanks Blackeagle - you said it better than I could have.
    bandit383 - take heed. BTW, if a gunfight with a BG is not combat, I'm confused.

there is a reason why LEO and military don't use certain calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK23FAN View Post
    Define mouse gun? I've seen people live with two shots from a .45 and I have seen people die with one shot from a .22. Also, because someone carries a lesser caliber than you do doesn't make them any less of a person. I don't see it as childish. They are still carrying a weapon and exercising their 2nd amendment right.
    There is no argument as to which is more effective... there is a good reason why police officers don't carry, 22s,25s and .32s as duty weapons... and it's not because they want to look like tuff guys.

A person carrying a .25acp is not "less of a person" they are only armed with a less effective weapon and there is no point to be argued with all else being equal (as in person's competence with gun etc.).
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Good post, CR2008. I should have said 'foolish' instead of 'childish'.

I want to carry, but I've got four more months to wait till I'm eligible for a CCW

But you assume that everybody that carries is a big person...one shoe does not fit all. I know some people with very small hands that can shoot the heck out of a mouse gun far better than a big bad 45. There you guys go again...looking through a soda straw. Soooo...stick to your theories...get that big bad gun...uh, like buying a hummer.

Buy (pun intended) the way...LEOs qualify at far greater ranges...one of the reasons, because they need to shoot at longer ranges...hummm...in close...I always wondered why they carried tasers...hummm...let me think about that one...

Oh that's right...the paper target doesn't move...darn, I knew that...:))

I know some people with very small hands that can shoot the heck out of a mouse gun far better than a big bad 45.
    That may have been true at one point, but these days there are many full size guns that have very slim grips suitable for smaller hands.

bandit383 - As Blackeagle said, the grip is not an issue. The fact of the matter is that if you have to fight with your handgun, a full-size gun is superior in every way to a mouse gun.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Playing devil's advocate here. But, personally. I think it's this kind of thinking that will get you killed whether you carry a gun or not.

Think of all of the people who live in states where they can't carry a gun. They are presented with this kind of scenario and told, "You don't have any options!" and they believe it. So, instead of coming up with something, ANYTHING to save themselves or their loved ones they lay down, cower in a corner and let the worst come because, after all, that's what they expect.

Sorry, not for me.

I will have options, gun or no gun, until they are wheeling me to the morgue.

I don't care if I have to run, start throwing salt and pepper shakers, chairs and small animals, I'm not going down without a fight and people shouldn't be told they have no options if they don't have a gun. It's just not true.

A gun is a tool, nothing more. It can't replace the brain, or the will to live. If your will to live is dependent on whether or not you have a firearm then I shudder to think of what would happen on the day you can't have a firearm or run out of bullets.

I agree with the rest of your points however. Well, said!
    +1
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    bandit383 - As Blackeagle said, the grip is not an issue. The fact of the matter is that if you have to fight with your handgun, a full-size gun is superior in every way to a mouse gun.
    Then...sit in your car (if you have one) AND try to draw (cowboy)...uh, with your seatbelt on, shirt over the weapon. How many seconds??? Superior in everyway...the youth of today.

Then...sit in your car (if you have one) AND try to draw (cowboy)...uh, with your seatbelt on, shirt over the weapon. How many seconds??? Superior in everyway...the youth of today.
    Sounds like a carry method issue, not a gun size issue. A crossdraw or under the dash holster will accommodate drawing a full size gun while seated in a vehicle just fine.

Dang, Blackeagle! You keep beating me to it! : )

bandit383 - If you are dissatisfied with your presentation speed in your vehicle, I suggest you experiment with some different positions/methods. For example, maybe OCing your gun in a crossdraw holster for car trips would work better.

BTW, the 'youth of today' seems to have a little more aptitude than you when it comes to organizing thoughts and coherently expressing them in written form. Just read your last post and you will catch my drift.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links