Do you carry or want to carry?

This is a discussion on Do you carry or want to carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Many say that you should carry a large caliber gun. I say carry what is comfortable for you! Don't worry about what everyone says, they ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you carry or want to carry?

Many say that you should carry a large caliber gun. I say carry what is comfortable for you! Don't worry about what everyone says, they aren't the ones that will be carrying it. If you want to carry a small caliber, that is up to you. Something is better than nothing! While everyone agrees that a larger caliber has better stopping power, a .22, .25 or other small caliber can still be deadly with well placed shots!

Also, have options of carry. Don't buy a large framed pistol if you are going have a problem carrying it EVERYDAY! Buy something that will fit you and your daily attire. What good is a gun and a carry permit if it's left at home or you didn't want to carry because it's just too big/heavy or you didn't feel you needed it that day?

Us sheepdogs have the right to defend family/friends and the lives of others we don't even know. Lives can be saved by CCW'er's and it has been proven in many states and many different cases. But here's the thing, you need to have your gun on you in order for it to happen, right? You NEVER know when things are going to go south and that's a fact. It's our responsibility to help others in a life or death situation. I myself could not and would not walk away from someone in danger. If you have second thoughts about that, maybe you shouldn't carry a gun! That's just my opinion.

There are many different scenarios I could get into, but say you were in a restaurant with your family one day and some wacko decided to come in and open fire on innocent people because he had a bad day. Then you realize you left your gun at home because it was "too heavy or too big". Where does that leave you?? Up the creek, that's where! You could have stopped that person and saved lives (maybe your own even) but didn't have your gun. If you are unarmed, you don't have any options! I'm sure you get my point.

Of course you need good judgment and it is a very serious situation if you have to pull your gun and you should be ready for the physical and metal stress associated with it. All I am saying here is give yourself different options in regards to different carry rigs and smaller guns if that's what you need to carry EVERY DAY! It doesn't do yourself or anyone any good if your gun is locked up at home. Use your right to the fullest, be responsible and be safe!

The reason that inspired this thread is because I got home from dropping my kids off at school and was talking with my neighbor. He carries as well. He said he was off to Tampa to take care of personal business. I asked him if he was armed and he said he didn't feel like he needed to be today. I will get off my soapbox now......thanks for reading!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

GLOCK 23..........Beretta 96..........Mossberg 500A..........Winchester 30-30..........S&W M&P

I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6!

well said. Those that only have (want) one gun should have one that they WILL carry daily. Those with more than one should have (in my opinion) one medium frame daily carry AND one small frame "when i don't feel the need to carry" gun. Maybe a G19 and a KT P32 or similar.
    When seconds count, help is minutes away!

You should ask your neighbor for the 'robbery schedule' he has...that way you can figure out which day that YOU should carry.

Stay armed...there is no schedule...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I agree with you to a certain extent. A small frame, small caliber gun can work as well as a larger gun at close range. HOWEVER, the person carrying a small gun will have to practice with it more, to attain a higher level of accuracy. Now, I question whether someone who will not let carrying intrude upon their life enough to carry a larger gun will train sufficiently with a mouse gun to be proficient with it. To me, someone who only carries a mouse gun is not going to be willing to put in a lot of time at the range. I could be wrong, but that is my impression.

IMO, if you have made the decision to carry, get of your butt, toss the 6-shot .32, and realize that carrying will entail some discomfort. When the SHTF, you will be glad you have a larger, more powerful, more accurate gun in your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You should ask your neighbor for the 'robbery schedule' he has...that way you can figure out which day that YOU should carry.

Stay armed...there is no schedule...stay safe!
    Yeah, no doubt! I asked him if he went and had some tarot cards read. He just laughed.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

GLOCK 23..........Beretta 96..........Mossberg 500A..........Winchester 30-30..........S&W M&P

To me, someone who only carries a mouse gun is not going to be willing to put in a lot of time at the range. I could be wrong, but that is my impression.

93 do you have alot of friends who own mouse guns but do not practice?

I dont.

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK23FAN View Post
    What good is a gun and a carry permit if it's left at home or you didn't want to carry because it's just too big/heavy or you didn't feel you needed it that day?
    I think you're really talking a about two separate issues here. Feeling that you didn't need it that day is a mindset issue. Someone who doesn't feel the need to carry probably isn't going to carry a smaller gun. They just haven't grasped the fundamental fact that criminals don't make appointments and don't just strike in 'dangerous' places.

As far as a gun being too big or heavy goes, I think this is mostly a product of ignorance. Folks who are new to concealed carry (and even some folks who have carried for a while) generally overestimate how difficult it is to carry a full sized gun. They may not even try, or they may try carrying a larger pistol in a cheap holster on a flimsy belt. I am a firm believer that with a good belt, a quality holster, and a good cover garment, almost any guy can comfortably carry a full sized pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    I think you're really talking a about two separate issues here. Feeling that you didn't need it that day is a mindset issue. Someone who doesn't feel the need to carry probably isn't going to carry a smaller gun. They just haven't grasped the fundamental fact that criminals don't make appointments and don't just strike in 'dangerous' places.

As far as a gun being too big or heavy goes, I think this is mostly a product of ignorance. Folks who are new to concealed carry (and even some folks who have carried for a while) generally overestimate how difficult it is to carry a full sized gun. They may not even try, or they may try carrying a larger pistol in a cheap holster on a flimsy belt. I am a firm believer that with a good belt, a quality holster, and a good cover garment, almost any guy can comfortably carry a full sized pistol.
    I could carry my 5" kimber, but I would have to tell everyone that it is just a large inoperable tumor.

Quote Originally Posted by Obiwan View Post
    Those with more than one should have (in my opinion) one medium frame daily carry AND one small frame "when i don't feel the need to carry" gun. Maybe a G19 and a KT P32 or similar.
    I think quite the opposite. I deliberately avoided getting a small gun for quite a while so I wouldn't be tempted to leave the full sized pistol at home. I've got a couple now, but they're just for BUG duty.

Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    I agree with you to a certain extent. A small frame, small caliber gun can work as well as a larger gun at close range. HOWEVER, the person carrying a small gun will have to practice with it more, to attain a higher level of accuracy. Now, I question whether someone who will not let carrying intrude upon their life enough to carry a larger gun will train sufficiently with a mouse gun to be proficient with it. To me, someone who only carries a mouse gun is not going to be willing to put in a lot of time at the range. I could be wrong, but that is my impression.

IMO, if you have made the decision to carry, get of your butt, toss the 6-shot .32, and realize that carrying will entail some discomfort. When the SHTF, you will be glad you have a larger, more powerful, more accurate gun in your hand.
    I agree with you very much in regards to being proficient with the gun that is chosen for carry and that everyone should make it a point to get some good range time in with it. All I am saying is that the individual should pick what's right for them. Don't listen to Joe Blow that says you need a .50 cal Desert Eagle on your hip in order to defend yourself. Some may not be able to physically handle a .45 or even a 9mm for that matter. They may spend little or no time with it on the range and regret the purchase.

Bottom line is something is better than nothing and having different options may be the difference maker of whether the guns goes with you or sits in a safe.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post

I couldn't agree more on having the proper quality equipment to carry!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

OK...but, IMO, people need to realize that this is a life-saving tool and that not carrying it because it is not quite as comfortable as they wish it was is childishness. There is a tradeoff to being able to defend yourself effectively. Carry an adequate gun and practice with it.

Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    OK...but, IMO, people need to realize that this is a life-saving tool and that not carrying it because it is not quite as comfortable as they wish it was is childishness. There is a tradeoff to being able to defend yourself effectively. Carry an adequate gun and practice with it.
    Amen!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Over the years that I have been carrying I have disposed of all the .22s, .32s and the .380s that used to sit in my pocket. I have learned that I can carry and keep comfortably well concealed my Det.Spl. .38, SP101 .357, 9mm. compact Walther and a full sized P99 in .40 S&W.

A little thought when purchasing belts, jeans, dress slacks, shorts, shirts and jackets makes all the difference in the world.

I carry everywhere I go outside the house and always have something close at hand when home. Carrying is so ingrained in my life (after 35 years) that it has become second nature to me. I have NEVER been made and hope to remain that way for the years I have left.

bosco

Remember people, it's a toolbox. You carry the right tool for the job. If you only have one "tool", make sure it is big enough to do ALL of the job.

United93 has a point. This is not a fashion accessory. If you only have one gun and it's a big'un, well, deal with it. If you are blessed with different size options, great. Use the correct tool for the job (concealment).
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links