How do you carry while riding an ATV?

This is a discussion on How do you carry while riding an ATV? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wear the same if I'm horseback or 'working' in the woods, etc, etc. OWB holster w/thumb break, about 4o'clock. Any extra retention is needed ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you carry while riding an ATV?

I wear the same if I'm horseback or 'working' in the woods, etc, etc. OWB holster w/thumb break, about 4o'clock.

Any extra retention is needed while 'bouncing' around on the 4-wheelers.

BearCats sholder holster is a good choice too.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDave View Post
    Stranger, what kind of dog is that?
    The big one is an Old English Sheepdog the little one is a 13" Beagle

VIP Member
    I usually carry the same as any other day, SuperTuck at 4:30. Sometimes in my shoulder holster (under my shirt) to help with keeping the dust out.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Carrying while riding an ATV is the only time I use a holster with a retention thumb break. I dont want to find out that I've lost my weapon 20 miles down the trail. My gun gets dusty while riding and I wipe it clean after the ride. Once home, I give it a thorough cleaning before carrying again.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

i would carry OWB in a serpa just like when i ride a bike
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Me and my buddy keep our guns in our ATV's 'trunks' on the front, fairly easy and quick to get into. Our ATV rides are a bit more... reckless than most. We have found that when one falls off of the ATV, the gun helps cause further injury, not to mention the off chance we smash it against a rock. So for the simple reason of not wanting to damage our guns or get a nice gun-shaped bruise on our hips, the trunk works just fine.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

i wear mine IWB, so the shirt covers the dust, and check to make sure its still riding good every once and a while. never have had a problem with it..

Blackhawk serpa works great for my .40.

I sold my 4-wheeler a few years ago, but when I did ride, I used an western style cross draw holster with a Ruger 44 mag... We leased 5,000 acres, so I did not have to worry about open carry.

Today I do more backcountry bicycling, in state wildlife management property. For it I purchased a Bianchi military style holster and belt for my Glock 17.

Donít know if it qualifies as concealed, so I leave my t-shirt un tucked

Usually when I carry while riding a 4wheeler it is out at our deer lease, which is mostly rock and therefore extremely bouncy. For a handgun I use either my Makarov in the original military full-flap holster, or a snub .357 in an uncle mike's with a retention strap. However, I usually just take my Marlin rifle and put it into a set of alligator-clip style holders on the front rack (5 rds of 444 Marlin > any handgun )

I carry ... and own two ATVs. Buy a good quality leather holster from a reputable craftsman, and wear it on a belt specifically made for carry - wildnerness instructor belt (nylon) or one made by a holster craftsman.

I have no problems with retention while driving, tipping over, whatever. Just make sure that you never carry in anything that has the words "uncle" or "mike" on it.

VIP Member
    Handgun in chest holster & Winchester 94 in scabbard on the ATV.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

There is one other chest that Clint Smith Thunder Ranch OR formerly TX, had made. I will post later if I remember the name.

In WY (COLO) if ATV / Horse ride in winter time have snow, cold (sub zero), etc to deal with - protect the gun and gun access two important topics to deal twith - clothing is an obstacle - so prefer chest over belt for handgun - wear under outer clothing to protect - choose clothing (prefer outer being heavy weight insulated waterproof coveralls with big quality zippered front access) based on access to chest therefore handgun ( real wet weather top layer being Goretex Pants and Coat)

ATV carry

For agressive riding that produces a lot of bouncing I have found that IWB holds a heavy gun the best. I use a Crossbreed SuperTuck for my XD45. An untucked shirt helps with the dust issue. So does riding far enough back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links