CC while fishing on a boat?

This is a discussion on CC while fishing on a boat? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know I read this somewhere before but I cannot find it. I was wondering if it is legal to carry concealed while fishing on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CC while fishing on a boat?

I know I read this somewhere before but I cannot find it. I was wondering if it is legal to carry concealed while fishing on a small boat, not commercial fishing, just with your friends out on the lake?

Check your own state laws as well as your own state wildlife laws as a subset, or those applicable laws of the location outside your state where this activity might be planned/expected to take place.

As with anything else in regard to firearms and carry laws do vary state to state and even location (private waters) to location (public, state, or federal waterways).

There is no generic one answer fits all states and possible potential locations answer.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I want to know how BIG the fish are where you live!!!! LOL I carry mine in NC. Just make sure you don't use a Fed boat ramp/ park. Other then that I think your good. Good luck.
    CCW: Never get killed for lack of shooting back!

In MI you're fine if you have your CPL. If you are open carrying without a license, then I believe that the pistol becomes legally concealed once you enter the boat. (just like getting in a car, open is still legally concealed). I also believe that though shalt not engage in any hunting from a motorized vehicle (including boats, canoes, etc)
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    In MI you're fine if you have your CPL. If you are open carrying without a license, then I believe that the pistol becomes legally concealed once you enter the boat. (just like getting in a car, open is still legally concealed). I also believe that though shalt not engage in any hunting from a motorized vehicle (including boats, canoes, etc)

Just need to be careful in Michigan. Zooming around the Lake St. Clair and before you know it your in Canadian waters then your in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by pjw315 View Post
    Just need to be careful in Michigan. Zooming around the Lake St. Clair and before you know it your in Canadian waters then your in trouble.
    Very true. I understand they get cranky if you are just accidentally fishing in their waters, so I can imagine their attitude if they discover you have a pistol.

As said in NC we carry in on the water just like on the land!!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

West Michigan?
    Just watch getting lost out on Lake Michigan and end up in Wisconsin territory too.
    About as bad as Canada except that re-entry into USA can get bumpy with customs if you have a pistola.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Very true. I understand they get cranky if you are just accidentally fishing in their waters, so I can imagine their attitude if they discover you have a pistol.
    Canadian police can and often do, enter Michigan waters on Lake St Clair and in the Detroit River, and they aren't the friendliest folks I've met on the water.
    I stay well clear of any Canadian waters at all times when I'm on LSC.
    I love bass fishing but not enough to tangle with the OPP.
    I haven't met a 6 pound smallmouth yet that's worth the hassle, and if I am in MI waters and stopped or approuched by the OPP, my first call will be to the USCG.
    Things are getting so bad with so many new regulations on the water, even live bait can be a problem, you must actually carry your reciept for bait with you and show it to the DNR on request. Don't even think of using a USA minnow in Canadian waters.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I don't know about TN, but in Louisiana you'd be nuts to be unarmed in a boat. Water Moccasins are famous for trying to get in the boat with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Things are getting so bad with so many new regulations on the water, even live bait can be a problem, you must actually carry your reciept for bait with you and show it to the DNR on request.
    Never heard of it...is that just a boundary waters thing? I only ever fish inland lakes..although I thought about trying St Clair this year, but if the canadian water police approach me in my kayak, I'll probably be happy to see them.

I would have to assume that being out on the water would be the same as being on land...depends in which state the water belongs to...that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Canadian police can and often do, enter Michigan waters on Lake St Clair and in the Detroit River, and they aren't the friendliest folks I've met on the water.
    I stay well clear of any Canadian waters at all times when I'm on LSC.
    I love bass fishing but not enough to tangle with the OPP.
    I haven't met a 6 pound smallmouth yet that's worth the hassle, and if I am in MI waters and stopped or approuched by the OPP, my first call will be to the USCG.
    Things are getting so bad with so many new regulations on the water, even live bait can be a problem, you must actually carry your reciept for bait with you and show it to the DNR on request. Don't even think of using a USA minnow in Canadian waters.
    Canada does not even allow US police officers to bring firearms into thier country. They have some tough laws.

For me, I would not carry unless with the express approval of the boat owner. You can do whatever you want on your own boat!
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

OK, we have covered you looking at local laws. Now, for the gun itself. I have in my "selection", a number of guns with lanyard rings. Yes, lanyard rings. If the gun is tethered to me, it can not sink to the bottom of the lake now can it?
    Included are: Colt 1917 in 45 acp, Colt 38 Army Special, Browning HiPower, and a 1911 with lanyard ring magazine.
    I'll be darned if any gun of mine is going to the bottom of the lake that is, unless there is a massive government gun-grab!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links