Transporting in an RV across multiple states

This is a discussion on Transporting in an RV across multiple states within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My husband and I recently purchased an RV. We have already installed a small gun safe in the coach (bolted to the frame) but since ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transporting in an RV across multiple states

My husband and I recently purchased an RV. We have already installed a small gun safe in the coach (bolted to the frame) but since this a motorhome not a separately towed trailer, technically, even in the safe, the guns aren’t inaccessible as they would be in a car trunk. We are planning a trip to a national park and know that cc is prohibited in such. I have two questions: 1) can anyone offer suggestions as to where I might find information regarding the rules about having our little friends stored in their locked safe, in the coach, while camping in a n.p. or when traveling through a state that does not permit concealed or unsecured transport and 2) does anyone know of a comprehensive web site that lists just what states share reciprocity with WA short of going to an information site for each and every state we’ll be traveling through? I’ve checked WA DOL CPL F.A.Q. page but realized that the states it lists is incomplete when I checked directly with one state not listed and they showed that a WA CPL was acceptable in their state. Thank you to any and all for your suggestions and help. ~my apologies if I posted in the wrong forum – da~
    Last edited by drkangl6; April 25th, 2009 at 10:40 AM. Reason: wording/spelling

I travel alot in an RV across a few states during the year. Im not exactly sure what the law says but I have a sneaking suspicion that it is different than a car. Since it is living quarters it is regulated different.

Same with drinking. As long as the driver isnt drinking, everyone else in the back can be. Yes. I know...we do it anyway on long trips.

Again, the law is different because the coach has living quarters.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

While an RV is going down the road it's considered like any other privately owned vehicle.
    183 FBINA

VIP Member
    As far as reciprocity, check out USA Carry - Open and Concealed Carry Information and Community It's got the best most up-to-date maps I've seen.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ispcapt View Post
    While an RV is going down the road it's considered like any other privately owned vehicle.
    True, and if you are camping in a park, it is considered a residence and subject to the laws of that state.

Now this...
    Technically, you could travel through NY, NJ, IL, WI, and CA without problems if you just travel though...and that is the same as being in a car...just don't stop other than for gas. (Weapons empty and stored.)
    If you stop in a campground, you now are in a home and if you could have weapons in your home in that state you'd still be fine.
    Confusing, I know.
    We traveled for years in a 30-foot motorhome and always had weapons in the 'wheeled home'...never had a problem...never stopped...always protected.

Get this...
    2009 Traveler's Guide To The Firearm Laws of the 50 States
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    First off ... Welcome to the forums.

My wife and I live fulltime in a 5th wheel, I travel with work so this works best for us. If my CCW permit does not have reciprocity with the states we travel through, my guns are unloaded and secured. Once we reach our final destination and park, things change as we now are in our home.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Reciprocity!

If you want a great site to view reciprocity check out Handgunlaw.us it as up to date a source as there is. They are linked to this forum also.

If you are traveling through CO it is legal to have a weapon accessible either OC or CC is fine. In CO a vehicle is considered an extension of your home and has no provisions for what you may or may not do to conceal a firearm. CO is and OC state but there are a couple notable exceptions the standard "no carry federal places" and the city of Denver doesn't permit OC, but CC is fine if you have a permit with reciprocity. No loaded rifles permited in a vehicle either, as protection from poachers.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    State by State info:

Handgunlaw.us

Most states treat a parked motor home as a domicile and a moving one as a vehicle. Remember one needs a WA CPL to carry a loaded pistol in a moving vehicle.

You are protected by federal law while traveling interstate provided the firearm is unloaded, legal to own where you depart and arrive, and inaccessible. Your trip must be "uninterrupted" whatever that means. (like you cannot go stop and visit Chicago- possession of the firearm would be illegal. You could however drive through Chicago without stopping)

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    True, and if you are camping in a park, it is considered a residence and subject to the laws of that state.
    That, and the rest of your post, is all true too.
    183 FBINA

Also try here:

NRA-ILA ::

Look at both the Federal Law regarding interstate transportation of firearms, as well as each state's laws.

Also consider some good pepper spray, a couple of good flashlights, and a folfing knife or two. Keep at least one pepper spray by the door, and keep the deadbolt locked.

Have fun!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

ccw in the rv

concealed is concealed. if you break a little law, no one know. you ggot your permit for one reason or another. the laws won't help you "after". drive the speed limit and you will be fine. cops only look to you if you are doing wrong. keep your irons on your hip. that's where they are meant to be.

Quote Originally Posted by hoodwink View Post
    if you break a little law, no one know.
    Unless that "little law" is a felony. Do you have any idea what it means to be convicted of a felony? Do you have any idea what it even means to be charged with a felony?
    Sounds pretty brave sitting behind a computer giving legal advice and not having to be the one sitting in jail overnight, a weekend, coming up with bond, paying an attorney, going to trial, and then having a felony conviction on your file the rest of your life. Yep, don't worry about that "little law".
    183 FBINA

Exclamation Read Forum Rules

........if you break a little law, no one know. ..........
    Forum Rule:

10. Discussion of illegal activities except in reporting the actions of others is not allowed. Discussion for the purpose of promoting these activities may subject the poster to being banned.................

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    First off ... Welcome to the forums.

My wife and I live fulltime in a 5th wheel, I travel with work so this works best for us. If my CCW permit does not have reciprocity with the states we travel through, my guns are unloaded and secured. Once we reach our final destination and park, things change as we now are in our home.
    I'm also a full-timer, as my company (construction) moves me quite a bit. If I'm in a state where I'm allowed to carry, I carry. If not, it's locked in the 5th wheel or in the toolbox on the truck. As for the motorhome, I can't really give any solid advise. My parents also travel a lot in a motorhome and keep a pistol in it. they have never been even asked about it. IMO the motorhome is an extention of their home. I would use your google-fu and do some research on the various gun- related sites mentioned.......
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Quote Originally Posted by hoodwink View Post
    concealed is concealed. if you break a little law, no one know. you ggot your permit for one reason or another. the laws won't help you "after". drive the speed limit and you will be fine. cops only look to you if you are doing wrong. keep your irons on your hip. that's where they are meant to be.
    With those kinds of views ,good luck on keeping your permit and staying out of trouble
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links