If you need a gun, don't go?

This is a discussion on If you need a gun, don't go? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You can't predict the actions of others, you can predict your reaction. Regardless of where you are, be prepared... it's really that simple...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: If you need a gun, don't go?

You can't predict the actions of others, you can predict your reaction. Regardless of where you are, be prepared... it's really that simple

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by NDN-MAN View Post
    Some people take that saying or part of it and use it wrong. My grandfather told me "If you don't have any bussines over there without a gun. Then you don't need to go there just because you have a gun".
    To me it means don't go places you normaly would not go. If you don't go to THAT part of town then having a gun is no reason to go.
    Also owning a gun is a right, carrying a gun is a responsibility. Not to be taken lightly. JMHO
    I think this hits the nail on the head!
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

PM
    When I have heard the comment of "If you need a gun. Don't go there!" Is when some one makes a statement about they carry when they think they will needed a gun. They are going to the "BAD" part of town lets say. The question then becomes "Why go?" Maybe the better way to put it is "There is no good or bad part of town. Only places with low or higher risk." That risk level may or may not always be knowable. The old "It would/could never happen here!" mindset. People in a number of schools, churches and other places have made that statement days, hours minutes before the first shot rang out. Truthfully, I think that alot living in a small town in rural Kansas; but I know it could happen. I live a few miles from a town where one teen claimed that a number of other youths were planning a school shooting. I have spoken to people who knew the kids who claim the shooters may have planned it (even with their denile that they had a plan). It could happen; the risk is lower here than say KC or Wichita but there still is a risk. I have a lower risk of being somewhere when the SHTF but there is still a risk.

I say this to say --- I carry when I can*; so that I do not have to defend the reason I carried the day I have to use it!

*read where legal and when legal (can not carry at work).

Also +1 for the quoted NDN Man above. He said wht I was attempting and I wissed it in reading the posts!!

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    For me it's simply a part of getting dressed, no different than putting on a shirt and pants.
    Bad things can happen anytime, anywhere.
    Would you say if you don't feel safe without your pants, don't go there?
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

This was before legal CC came to the state, but I carried one anyway. (the vastly underappreciated FIE Titan .25).
    I appreciate the FIE Titan .25, I own one and used to carry it when I played music late at night. Also when I worked in insurance and we collected premiums in-home, I dropped the little bugger into my coat pocket. Like you pre-permit days. Didn't know I could even get one.

This is because I went to or worked in places that bad stuff could happen. As stated, nobody would or should go to places where stuff happens, even if they are armed. Common sense should dictate that.

Bad stuff is happening now, even in places where it didn't before, so sometimes you don't even have to leave your home to be in a bad place. Just try to avoid places that have the potential for things to go south in a hurry, but if you find yourself there, be safe and armed. I believe we all know what to do.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

A threat can materialize anywhere, but you can minimize the possibility of threat by avoiding stupid places where stupid people do stupid things! If it is a known high risk and you do not have to be there, avoid it. If you feel you have to push the envelope and be there just to show you can be (Bars in the wrong area are a good example), hey it's your right. But, to me , the first rule of survival is to stay alive!

Above lesson learned through thirty years in USMC and watching hot shots get themselves and others killed or at least badly hurt out of bravado.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Personally, my view of the "don't go anywhere with a gun that you wouldn't go without a gun" thing is that it means "don't develop a false sense of security and make foolish decisions just because you happen to have a pistol on your hip."

Live your life and do what you need to do while adhering, as much as possible, to the "3 stupids" rule. Sometimes we end up living, working, or conducting business in places where we'd rather not but that's the way it goes.

Of course, the ones that get me are the people who normally carry a little pocket gun but will carry a real pistol "when I'm going to a 'bad' part of town" (too lazy to carry one the rest of the time).
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I've been hesitating to reply to this message. But here goes my reply.

If you anticipate that you MAY need your handgun for "self defense" you really shouldn't be bringing it with you. The issue as far as I see it is that if you do bring a firearm with you, you may be facing felony charges in the event you actually discharge it. The key work in my opinion is "premeditated". A DA would be able to prove that you knowingly brought a firearm with you to a shooting.

You should be avoiding going to a situation where you anticipate using a handgun. This could lead to a felony charge for some degree of homicide. Again, we should be avoiding situations where we may be required to shoot someone.

But, that's my humble opinion, good, bad or otherwise!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Criminals don't only work in certain areas, they have been known to work in even the safest areas. My ability to predict the future is none. Once you get into a routine, that is when are you are most likely to get caught off guard. I don't always drive the same way to work, and I don't always arrive at the same time either.

Another thing is that not everyone is physically capable of practicing martial arts. More often than not, it takes many years to master. I have a bad left hip (dislocated and never healed right) that limits my range of motion and putting it under high stress bothers me. I can still walk alright, but if I stand on it too long or run for too long, I start hurting. That really is the main reason I chose to carry a firearm as my means of self defense over martial arts. I also never had the chance as a kid to take any martial arts classes.

The best thing to do is avoid troubled parts of town if possible. My town doesn't have many problems as just about everyone here has a gun or two.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Taking a Gun With You

The key idea is this -

No matter where you go, THE OTHER (DARK) SIDE HAS A SAY. YOU NO NOT CONTROL THE BEHAVIOR OF OTHERS, ONLY YOURSELF.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

Exactly. In case where you do not have some control over the the situation you no longer can be sure of any part of the scenario. It is not going to happen as you envision it. The other guy writes the script.

If you know anything about game theory you should always go for the action where the matrix gives you an assured desirable payoff, even if it is not the optimum. The only one here is to not play at all, avoid by not being there. If it is unavoidable or unwillingly thrust upon you, with another in control, there may be no desirable payoff available!

Of course, the only way you have any desirable options in the matrix is to be armed. EDC means every day!
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    In a similar thread about 2 months ago, I posted this...

I'm with LongRider... dirtbags do not dictate where I go. Even before I carried...

Back in the 90's, I once had a very compelling reason to go into the heart of one of THE WORST neighborhoods in Miami, and I didn't have a gun. Anger can make ya stooopid... but I went and took care of bidness. I probably shouldn't go into a lot of specifics, as the forum rules state you shouldn't talk about possibly criminal acts, and I don't possess the legal expertise to be certain if a wild-eyed screaming white man waving a giant butcher knife and a 2x36 inch piece of steel rebar in the heart of the hood constituted a violation of any local or state statutes...

But to the original poster's question, no, thugs do not deter me from going to the Piggly Wiggly... I'll be more watchful, but no.
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    Apparently, the State of Illinois also thought it preferable that five of the six be murdered execution style than for any one of them to be able to defend herself and the others.
    You can't really believe this, can you?

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    Good point.

Just like driving a car, if you knew you would be in a wreck you would avoid it; don't know when wreck might happen so always carry, I mean wear seat belt.

You may correctly assume I ain't going to Canada for any reason.

...or a spare tire for that matter! We carry TOOLS because we never know when their availablity will be warrented. I carry all my tools to a job in my van, because I know I might need them. And if not on that job, maybe the next one.

I work all over the local area, and have no knowledge when or where a robbery, carjacking, or shooting might take place.

I carry a fire ext. in my Jeep too, but luckily have never had to use it....

People that make remarks like that are just making a statement about the blinders they wear thru their life. Next time break out a pocket knife and pretend to cut the valve stem from their tire and explain after their reaction their prepardedness for such an event, maybe it will sink in...
    Certified Glock Armorer

I've heard a lot of people say stuff like "If you need a gun where you're going, you shouldn't go there." I disagree.
    All we can know are feelings we have, rumors (incl. tags) from the street, and statistics from the police showing an area's past crimes.

If we knew for certain that a mugging would find us at a particular place and time, then it wouldn't be unreasonable to do something else that day. But that's not possible to know, unless ACME Criminals' Union #242 is sending you their annual calendar.

In short: you can't know for certain whether you'll need to defend against crime.

Playing the probabilities is tough. While it may only be 0.01% necessary on a given day for you to be able to defend yourself against outright attack/mugging, it'll be 100% necessary to do so if one finds you. Want a good chance of defending against an attack, then, if one should arise? Go armed. Simple. Anything else is playing with probabilities ... and you'll get what you get.

So. I agree that avoiding the worst areas is simply common sense. To do otherwise is foolish, at minimum, and pushing your luck. I also agree, to a point, that altering your entire schedule and lifestyle to accommodate predators isn't, in the end, going to solve your lifestyle problem in a way that suits.

IMO, the accommodation needs to be an acceptable mix of convenience, enjoyment, liberty, security. I'm for doing what I do, living my life, but doing so with awareness and common sense, attuned to the environment and prepared for the ebb and flow as it finds me. I will absolutely not alter everything to avoid life ... else crime has won out. I won't allow that, on a basic level. But I strive to not be foolish about the method. So, I evaluate areas I'm considering going to, check the area ahead of time, sometimes wait to go at a relatively safer time of day or with someone; then, when it passes my standards, it's on the list as an acceptable place.

In the end, only you can know what mix works for you, and is workable given the specific areas and threats with which you must contend. What works in your area might well not in mine.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links